Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Deker

Knee pads for extra protection beneath my shin pads

I think my shin pads are slightly too small, so when I bend my knees the upper half of my knees are exposed. I could imagine a hard shot or stick causing significant injury if it hits that spot. So I'm trying to wear knee pads beneath my shin pads for extra protection. I was considering to wear goalie knee pads but those look too big and bulky. Can anyone recommend any particular brand/model knee pads that would help accomplish this?

Even if you have a correct fitting shin pad, when you bend your knees (as when blocking a shot), isn't there still a vulnerable spot at your upper knee area?  If a puck hits there, it could cause some serious injury.  I looked on Amazon and here are 3 knee pads that I'm currently trying out:

1) FLYWIND Protective Knee Pads for Men Women Work,Volleyball Knee Pad Thick Anti-Slip Kneepads Soft Dance Gardening Knee Pads for Kneeling,Collision Avoidance Knee Sleeve

2) KneeMate Knee Pads for Garden, Suitable for Gardening, House Cleaning, Construction Work, Flooring Kneepads with Thick EVA Foam Padding, Comfortable Kneeling Cushion for Floors Cleaning Scrubbing

3) McGuire-Nicholas All Purpose Adjustable Soft Cushion Knee Pads

So far I tried the first 2 and they seem fine.  The 3rd one seems a little stiff but I'll be giving it a try.  These are all general purpose knee pads, so I was wondering if there was a specific knee pad meant for hockey players to provide extra protection beneath their shin pads, but I'm guessing that there's no such thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deker said:

Even if you have a correct fitting shin pad, when you bend your knees (as when blocking a shot), isn't there still a vulnerable spot at your upper knee area?  If a puck hits there, it could cause some serious injury. 

Don't block any shots. That's the goalie's job. Problem solved 😉

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

5 hours ago, Deker said:

Even if you have a correct fitting shin pad, when you bend your knees (as when blocking a shot), isn't there still a vulnerable spot at your upper knee area?  If a puck hits there, it could cause some serious injury.  I looked on Amazon and here are 3 knee pads that I'm currently trying out:

1) FLYWIND Protective Knee Pads for Men Women Work,Volleyball Knee Pad Thick Anti-Slip Kneepads Soft Dance Gardening Knee Pads for Kneeling,Collision Avoidance Knee Sleeve

2) KneeMate Knee Pads for Garden, Suitable for Gardening, House Cleaning, Construction Work, Flooring Kneepads with Thick EVA Foam Padding, Comfortable Kneeling Cushion for Floors Cleaning Scrubbing

3) McGuire-Nicholas All Purpose Adjustable Soft Cushion Knee Pads

So far I tried the first 2 and they seem fine.  The 3rd one seems a little stiff but I'll be giving it a try.  These are all general purpose knee pads, so I was wondering if there was a specific knee pad meant for hockey players to provide extra protection beneath their shin pads, but I'm guessing that there's no such thing.

main-qimg-8f81ded60caa57e410dc01a5412dd5

20080124_101931_012408sharks.jpg

7841949.jpg?size=640x420

Your knee should be covered whether your knee is bent or not. The area above your shin guard and below your hockey pant leg can be exposed.  Not sure what level of hockey you play. I play low-level men's league ice hockey, and I don't go down to block shots. I face the shooter directly and stay up if I'm going to be blocking shots, like in the photo below. I have a regular job to go to the next day and I'm not getting paid to play hockey.

anton-stralman-blocks-a-shot.jpg

Put some sock tape around the top and bottom of the knee cup, that will keep it in place when you bend your knee. Exposure can happen even when you have properly fitted shins. Part of it is about how well those shins are held in place.

• Like 1

Assuming the pads you have fit correctly,  I would just attach an additional piece of protection to extend the top flap. Eagle and I believe Nash make/made segmented pads for mods like this. 

I found a simple solution, just get larger sized shin pads. I went an inch higher and problem solved, the upper part of the knee is more covered.  If all problems in life could be solved this easily, LOL.