Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Howies Splash Guard

No HECC certification. Again, a very simple thing that most anyone can make at home.

I am most concerned that after mounting there is a significant piece in the center of the guard that sits in front of the player's nose/eyes. Doesn't really seem safe.

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

These splash guards are as useless. You really think hard breathing isn't going to go around the guard etc. If you're going to play hockey you should be inheriting the increased risk of contacting covid. You're not going to protect yourself more with this. The only thing, imo, that would decrease the risk is straight up wearing a mask, like CCMs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

These splash guards are as useless. You really think hard breathing isn't going to go around the guard etc. If you're going to play hockey you should be inheriting the increased risk of contacting covid. You're not going to protect yourself more with this. The only thing, imo, that would decrease the risk is straight up wearing a mask, like CCMs. 

Exactly.

Much like those wind tunnel tests done on cars, you see blowing vapor flow up, over and around the car to see where wind is redirected on the front, and also where turbulence occurs behind the car.

If a player skates through another player's vapor particles cloud breathed out on exhalation, some of it is going to make contact with the outside of that shield, and some if it is going to flow up, over and back down to where the player wearing the shield can breathe it in. It's not usual to be close to someone forechecking or backchecking to where you are going to breathe in some of what the other guy is exhaling.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Hard pass...   wow thats lame.  

Agreed, but I applaud them for attempting to come up with a creative solution. These are uncharted times, the more innovation and creative ideas brought to market to test the better. The best solution will win out in the end - so far it seems the CCM Game On mask design is way out in front.

So please keep it up CCM, Bauer, Howies, UA, everyone - we need solutions that satisfy the health authority protocols and keeps our players safe and back on the ice where they belong!

Edited by colins
  • Like 1

Companies also don't want to invest heavily in development as all these masks should be 'temporary' solutions until a vaccine becomes available. Quick time to market, low development costs and easy to manufacture is what you see in all these products and rightfully so. Lets hope this market doesn't mature and becomes obsolete very quickly. I also think these are very 'local' products. Over here in Europe it's more black and white. Either no practices/games or just practices with less players on the ice. Teams get creative dividing ice in quarters with 4 players in each etc. I have not seen European countries that require these masks to be able to play. But other forum members might know about local rules better then I do. 

My region doesn't require masks. In fact, outside of 'cohorting' our league, there isn't any changes. 

But I play center, so taking faceoffs with some dude in my face just seems like a bad idea.