Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
pucks_putts

Bauer Concept 3 vs CCM FV1

Like a lot of people I am looking to get a full clear shield. I’m a Bauer fanboy so i’m inclined to just get theirs but was wondering if anyone has experience with both? Is one any better than the other? 

53 minutes ago, pucks_putts said:

Like a lot of people I am looking to get a full clear shield. I’m a Bauer fanboy so i’m inclined to just get theirs but was wondering if anyone has experience with both? Is one any better than the other? 

I think the FV1 promotes better airflow than the Concept 3 and seems to fit a much larger range of helmet types other than Bauer. As for which is better, I think they are both about the same.

I didn't like the Concept 3 as it always fogged no matter what products I used to try and prevent such. The FV1 never fogged at all, likely due to the better air circulation. 

• Thanks 1

I've bought the Bauer multiple times over the years, because it was the only one available. They always start out great until one day it fogs, then you have to use a spray, and then after awhile even that stops working (I always use a microfibre cloth and use a protective bag to transport).

I've recently purchased the CCM this time around (after an errant stick caused a huge scrape on my previous bubble), so far so good.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, pucks_putts said:

@Giltis, keep me posted. I’m ready to purchase soon. 

I recommend the CCM FV-1 over the Bauer's.

Good clarity, no fogging. 

Install was a bit tougher, not a fan of the clips and I had to flip them around from how it's put on originally out of the box. But at least I don't have to dremel the brackets anymore like I did for the Bauers in the past. The CCM screws that come with it are really dinky and I could probably shear them off. The CCM J-clips are nicer and easier to dial in with how your cage sits.

My U9 kid likes it on his as well.

1.jpg

• Thanks 1

I switched out a concept III for the FV1 that I got on sale a week ago (3 skates), and I’m amazed at how much better it is.  The Bauer would always start fogging up down low and get worse as the hour progressed, but the FV1 has stayed crystal clear.  Not exactly sure why, they seem to look almost identical, but maybe it sits a touch further away from my face.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I'm a few skates in now, and obviously this is anecdotal from a short term of usage with a sample size of two (my son and I), but it's quite a bit better in every aspect except installation (those clips are shit, and those screws need improvement). 

I'm able to be heard a lot better, it's less hot in the bubble, and it doesn't fog at all. As you say it might just simply be that it sits a bit more away from the face, but it helps so much.

Edited by Giltis
  • Thanks 1

Bumping this as I'm considering going to a bubble. Is there any verdict on which bubble is longer? I have a long face (wear size small helmet or medium on the smallest setting, and size large cage always) and am leaning towards CCM, but just wondering if one is longer than the other

5 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Bumping this as I'm considering going to a bubble. Is there any verdict on which bubble is longer? I have a long face (wear size small helmet or medium on the smallest setting, and size large cage always) and am leaning towards CCM, but just wondering if one is longer than the other

They both seem to be the same.  I tried both, returned the FV1 and have a Bauer one in the garage since I picked it up used, neither was long enough for me.  I wear a large Bauer Profile III cage (CCM cages I'm between a medium and a large which is why I go Bauer for cages).  I'm the same as you, wear a small CCM helmet (or medium Bauer) but need a large cage.  I was able to wear the Bauer bubble for a couple of games but it just didn't feel comfortable since it was a touch short.

Edited by xstartxtodayx
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

They both seem to be the same.  I tried both, returned the FV1 and have a Bauer one in the garage since I picked it up used, neither was long enough for me.  I wear a large Bauer Profile III cage (CCM cages I'm between a medium and a large which is why I go Bauer for cages).  I'm the same as you, wear a small CCM helmet (or medium Bauer) but need a large cage.  I was able to wear the Bauer bubble for a couple of games but it just didn't feel comfortable since it was a touch short.

Same here. 

If you flip the top clips opposite from the Bauer instructions then that will buy you a little more room. For the period of time that I had the Bauer bubble on my small CCM helmet I did that and it made the fit over the chin better.

• Like 1

I have the Bauer Concept mask. I get fog/condensation on the mask, particularly after the second period if not during the second period. I kind of wondered, how are elite players in pro, college, junior, and high school playing with a clear mask (half or full) and not have fog? Having seen them manage their masks during games, I decided to do the same. So, what I do, as a beer leaguer, was to bring a towel (or in my case, the helmet cover I made with a towel) and anti-fog spray to the bench with me. Between periods, I will spray anti-fog onto the shield on both sides and wipe it down, like I do before the game starts. Doing this keeps the fog down to a minimum for the whole game. The most difficult conditions are when it is summer with high humidity and there's condensation on the rink's glass.  

2 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

No fogging! 

I’ll second this. I’ve worn FV1 since Christmas. It’s super clear all the time. I followed the instructions and didn’t do any special prep to it, no surfactant application of anything. It just works.

One big difference between FV1 and C3 is the bar pattern on the lower half. Bauer has an odd number of vertical bars and CCM an even number. Just like in Ancient Greek temples, the important thing is what this difference does to a portal (be it door in that case or mouth and nose in this one) aligned in the middle of that face. An odd number of verticals blocks the entrance, while an even number does not. The turbulence of that obstruction is one reason why I suspect C3 fogs more than FV1.

Edited by flip12

30 minutes ago, flip12 said:

I’ll second this. I’ve worn FV1 since Christmas. It’s super clear all the time. I followed the instructions and didn’t do any special prep to it, no surfactant application of anything. It just works.

One big difference between FV1 and C3 is the bar pattern on the lower half. Bauer has an odd number of vertical bars and CCM an even number. Just like in Ancient Greek temples, the important thing is what this difference does to a portal (be it door in that case or mouth and nose in this one) aligned in the middle of that face. An odd number of verticals blocks the entrance, while an even number does not. The turbulence of that obstruction is one reason why I suspect C3 fogs more than FV1.

The FV1 is designed to better circulate airflow which helps prevent fogging.