Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
sticktime

Pitch on blade

Been a minute since I’ve been on but I have a question that could basically be posed to all though I imagine only applies to a small group:

Does anyone have an extreme pitch on their blade?    Meaning, instead of a neutral 9’, 10’, 11’, 12’ etc. radius, you have then had some of the front of the blade ground down to give a +1, +2, +3, +4 or even +5 pitch?

Thinking about trying some pitch on my skates and want to see if anyone is at either end of the spectrum.    

Edited by sticktime
Spelling

8 hours ago, sticktime said:

Been a minute since I’ve been on but I have a question that could basically be posed to all though I imagine only applies to a small group:

Does anyone have an extreme pitch on their blade?    Meaning, instead of a neutral 9’, 10’, 11’, 12’ etc. radius, you have then had some of the front of the blade ground down to give a +1, +2, +3, +4 or even +5 pitch?

Thinking about trying some pitch on my skates and want to see if anyone is at either end of the spectrum.    

Its usually measured in degrees. Most profile templates, for example from SSM or Pro Sharp, have a forward pitch of 20 degrees built into them unless the customer has specifically asked for a neutral pitch. What is your specific question? 

2 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Its usually measured in degrees. Most profile templates, for example from SSM or Pro Sharp, have a forward pitch of 20 degrees built into them unless the customer has specifically asked for a neutral pitch. What is your specific question? 

Simply asking if anyone had their skates profiled to have an extreme forward lean, which would be achieved by moving the balance point back towards the heel by varying degrees.    Hence, the +1, +2, etc that I described in my original post.    
Thats how it’s done at least here in Pgh. 

2 hours ago, sticktime said:

Simply asking if anyone had their skates profiled to have an extreme forward lean, which would be achieved by moving the balance point back towards the heel by varying degrees.    Hence, the +1, +2, etc that I described in my original post.    
Thats how it’s done at least here in Pgh. 

There are multiple ways to add "pitch" to steel. What you are specifically referring to is changing the pivot point or balance point. By moving the balance point back 5mm, 10mm, 20mm, etc, you are essentially putting the player more on their toes. As mentioned, almost all profiles templates from SSM and Pro Sharp have this built-in so anyone who doesn't request a neutral pitch automatically has the balance point altered putting the player in a more forward position. 

Hence my question. Are you asking if some people here have done more than the standard? 

If that is your question, the answer is yes, I have done such for many people. Did they like it? Most did not unless they were coming from a Mako skate and were used to the extreme forward pitch and wanted that same feeling in a Bauer or CCM skate. 

Have I added an aggressive forward pitch to my own skates for testing? Yes I did! I did not like it. Anything more than what I would consider typical or standard makes it feel like you are falling forward into each stride. 

I had +1 on my skates (Bauer, tuuk holder) for the last decade, it felt more athletic but as I’m getting older I’m finding it a bit much especially when skating backwards. But even on forward stride/crossovers feels a bit too much on my toes, front of the blade is always ready to dig in which is only useful for running starts. So I plan to switch to neutral on my my next skate.

Edited by SolarWind

I've had a +1 pitch added to the lift superfeet insoles give, which gave me a lot of forward lean. This was exactly NOT what I needed. I was way too much on my toes, and that affected my skating negatively. Too much on my toes meant, I wasn't as stable, and I wasn't starting my stride on the glide edge. I was starting it more towards my toes, which meant shorter stride.

I'm actually using a -1 pitch now with a really flat profile.

Are you trying to address some issues you're having with your skating, or are you just experimenting to see if it does anything for you?

Currently have a 9’ radius, neutral profile (meaning balanced front to back, pivot point is probably in the middle of my foot, hence a flat stance), 5/8 sharp.  

I’ve put pieces of a cut up insole under my heel, varying thicknesses and length, meaning from just under my heel to all the way from under my heel (touching the back of the skate) coming forward 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch and so on to about the mid foot.   
They all just make it feel like I’m on high heels so I’m wondering if moving the pivot point back towards the heel by taking off steel from the front half of the blade will feel any different.   

I see that some relied already that they have done this slightly and they didn’t like it felt too much on toes.   

So ultimately what I’m asking is if anyone really likes being forward and up on their toes like they had a big heel lift?

What’s your goal with putting the insole under your foot bed and possibly experimenting with pitch? Do you not like the current stance and think you’d feel better with some forward pitch, or do you just want to experiment and try something new to see what works? 

Before messing with pitch of the steel, you could find someone to put a shin under the back tower, which would change your pitch, that way you aren’t messing with your steel, and it’s easy to go right back to where you started. 

Or, a lot of people on here have had success with multiple radii profiles (double, triple, quad). Which depending on the profile, can feel like there’s more forward lean, because of the smaller radius towards the front, particularly with an quad radius. 

6 hours ago, sticktime said:

Currently have a 9’ radius, neutral profile (meaning balanced front to back, pivot point is probably in the middle of my foot, hence a flat stance), 5/8 sharp.  

I’ve put pieces of a cut up insole under my heel, varying thicknesses and length, meaning from just under my heel to all the way from under my heel (touching the back of the skate) coming forward 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch and so on to about the mid foot.   
They all just make it feel like I’m on high heels so I’m wondering if moving the pivot point back towards the heel by taking off steel from the front half of the blade will feel any different.   

I see that some relied already that they have done this slightly and they didn’t like it felt too much on toes.   

So ultimately what I’m asking is if anyone really likes being forward and up on their toes like they had a big heel lift?

You would want that piece you are adding under the skate insole to extend all the way to the front of the skate tower rivets.

19 hours ago, start_today said:

What’s your goal with putting the insole under your foot bed and possibly experimenting with pitch? Do you not like the current stance and think you’d feel better with some forward pitch, or do you just want to experiment and try something new to see what works? 

Before messing with pitch of the steel, you could find someone to put a shin under the back tower, which would change your pitch, that way you aren’t messing with your steel, and it’s easy to go right back to where you started. 

Or, a lot of people on here have had success with multiple radii profiles (double, triple, quad). Which depending on the profile, can feel like there’s more forward lean, because of the smaller radius towards the front, particularly with an quad radius. 

The goal is to see if I like being in more of a forward lean, whether that’s by adding some padding under my heel, between the boot and holder, or by having the blade profiled.   

Just curious to see whom may have done any of those methods and how they liked it.

I have my lightspeed/edge steel done at 9’ and a +4. I have been doing that since the custom/custom+ days. 

I am not sure what the +4 is equivalent to. Depending on the boot I will also add lifts/heel shims. I have several pairs of skates and my vapors are good at +4 without lifts but I need shims on the supreme. 

Makos with the CXN holders were perfect without adjustments.

i currently have two pairs of makos. One pair with Epros that have been profiled (I don’t know what it is but it works) and a pair with edge holders that I am using 9’ With +4 steel.

i have moved from Alaska and it is now harder to find a shop in California to get the profile I need. I also would like to know what +4 is equivalent to.

On 11/3/2020 at 5:18 PM, sturdy22 said:

I have my lightspeed/edge steel done at 9’ and a +4. I have been doing that since the custom/custom+ days. 

I am not sure what the +4 is equivalent to. Depending on the boot I will also add lifts/heel shims. I have several pairs of skates and my vapors are good at +4 without lifts but I need shims on the supreme. 

Makos with the CXN holders were perfect without adjustments.

i currently have two pairs of makos. One pair with Epros that have been profiled (I don’t know what it is but it works) and a pair with edge holders that I am using 9’ With +4 steel.

i have moved from Alaska and it is now harder to find a shop in California to get the profile I need. I also would like to know what +4 is equivalent to.

Where in CA are you? I know some very good shops I can recommend. 

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Where in CA are you? I know some very good shops I can recommend. 

That would be great. I’m in Southern California, between San Diego and Los Angeles.

3 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

On a Custom Radius/Blackstone Shaper, each tick is 1/32”. So, your +4 is 4/32”, which is 1/8” and roughly 3mm. 

This helps, thank you.

On 11/3/2020 at 12:16 PM, sticktime said:

The goal is to see if I like being in more of a forward lean, whether that’s by adding some padding under my heel, between the boot and holder, or by having the blade profiled.   

Just curious to see whom may have done any of those methods and how they liked it.

Just some general questions.

How long have you been skating and how long with your current skates? 

What's your skate size?

What is your height and weight approx.?

What position do you play?

What's your skating style during games? Up and down (north/south) or you zig zag all over/ hard turns, sprinting and stopping hard.

You may or may not get a better skating experience with an aggressive pitch. A different profile or multi-profile with the same pitch may help you get an improved feel. 

Edited by caveman27

On 11/11/2020 at 2:28 PM, caveman27 said:

Just some general questions.

How long have you been skating and how long with your current skates? 

What's your skate size?

What is your height and weight approx.?

What position do you play?

What's your skating style during games? Up and down (north/south) or you zig zag all over/ hard turns, sprinting and stopping hard.

You may or may not get a better skating experience with an aggressive pitch. A different profile or multi-profile with the same pitch may help you get an improved feel. 

Started about 5 yrs ago.  Play all positions except goalie.   So here’s what is did:

My right foot is wider than my left at the forefoot so I switched back to using my skates I originally bought when I started out, Bauer Nexus the black and white ones, and we’re recommended by LHS when they measured my feet.   But, my left foot I use a CCM because I had those too and since that foot’s narrower it works, the left Nexus was like throwing a hotdog down a hallway.   

Anyway, it finally feels like my foot can sit flat and spread out in the Nexus, as opposed to all other skates I tried that made it feel as though my right forefoot was being squeezed - think of making a fist.

I thought there would be some earth shatteringly bad result of using two different skates but I can’t tell the difference.    I think if it as a custom fit.

Next thing I did was get a different contour on the blades.   So I tried a +3 which rocks you forward pretty far, and while I liked the quick starts I just didn’t like the sort of generally unstable feeling it gave when doing everything else.   

On another set of blades I tried a -3.   Which for me, as someone that’s flat footed to begin with, it pushed the balance point forward so that natural arch of the skates wasn’t forcing an arch into my foot.   This felt very natural and I didn’t feel like I was falling backwards or sliding out  the back in hard turns.

Tomorrow I’m going to try out a neutral profile and see how I like that.    

This is all on a 9’ radius size 7 skates.