Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Byonic patented universal skate blades

Interesting.  I wonder if the altered geometry required to accommodate both holders actually lets them get past the existing patents?

2 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

So how are they getting past any IP issues?

If they made a holder that took this blade, would they be able to?

"Oh yeah our system just happens to take a blade that works in both of these other holders"

12 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

So how are they getting past any IP issues?

My first question would be how they got their design patented.

18 hours ago, boo10 said:

Interesting.  I wonder if the altered geometry required to accommodate both holders actually lets them get past the existing patents?

I would guess that it does.    They probably got a utility patent on it the same way Bladetech did on their design which would allow them to manufacture and sell it without any concerns from Bauer

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

Does it also fit the True Shift holder?

No.  True's design is very different.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 8:13 AM, puckstopper said:

I would guess that it does.    They probably got a utility patent on it the same way Bladetech did on their design which would allow them to manufacture and sell it without any concerns from Bauer

No.  True's design is very different.

An utility patent would mean that there's another function other than that it attaches to a holder. 

Bauer's main language around their patent was that the upper geometry of the runner was the patent. 

Perhaps I'll reach out to Nick for further clarification.

9 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

An utility patent would mean that there's another function other than that it attaches to a holder. 

Bauer's main language around their patent was that the upper geometry of the runner was the patent. 

Perhaps I'll reach out to Nick for further clarification.

I believe they can claim theoretical utility in the ability to move a set of blades from one brand of holder to another.  We all know it's a bit of a stretch, but the theory that there are people  who have interest in this function might be enough to allow them to skirt Bauer's patent. 

I'd have to see it up close to see that both holders fully secure the runner.  But IMO if you have an XS holder just get Step, and if the LS Edge just get Pulse TI.

After having taken a closer look at the video, I don't think I'd use those on XS holders.  The depth of the slot for the retaining screw is miniscule. I could see 1/2 turn of the dial being enough to let the runner pop out pretty easily on impact.  (This is assuming that I am correctly identifying the retention slot).

Edited by boo10

Maybe I’m missing the point but this seems like 98% benefit to a retailer, and 2% to consumer. 

realistically how many people want this steel, and also routinely switch skates between brands?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Maybe I’m missing the point but this seems like 98% benefit to a retailer, and 2% to consumer. 

realistically how many people want this steel, and also routinely switch skates between brands?

It also means less SKUs and therefor optimized production for the manufacturer which might lead to lower prices for the consumer. Definitely benefits retailer in purchasing, but with that also the consumer in availability. 

18 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Well it gives the consumer the freedom to switch skate brands without thinking about the added aftermarket blades cost. 

• Like 1