Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
nummer55

Runner enhancement research

Together with a small group of students I'm currently researching different current and potentially new runner treatments that could improve performance (edge retention and glide being the main factors). Due to covid we no longer have access to a sheet of ice, so we are back at literature studies. We basically look at 4 things:

• Steel composition and hardening process
  • Permanent surface treatments (polishing and coating)
  • Temporary surface treatments (oils, coatings)
  • Other improvements (rockering/heating)

In that last category we have the Marsblade holder and the Thermablade (or Therma Blade). Now, the question is if anyone on this board ever skated on them or might still own a pair of those holders? Researching their patent, it seems that in 2015 it was transferred to Scorched Ice Inc which actually seems to have a website. Anyone knows anything about a potential comeback or has a contact I can reach out to to obtain a set?

Another question is about "Fastrax", holding a patent on applying Teflon to a runner. They no longer seem in business, but we see some interesting results when applying PTFE. The only issue is the speed it wears off. Does anyone have experience with their product (if it was ever marketed)? I saw it got mentioned in this thread, so it seems as if it was sold as DIY application product at one point.

I guess my question is if anyone has any more background information on these 'dead' products or maybe even knows other concepts or products from the old days.

Final question is on the more recent 'runner improvements', mainly stuff like 'DLC'. Do you as a skater experience performance improvement with these blades? Do you sharpen your skates less often since you switched to a blade that has a DLC?

See below links on Scorched Ice.  Looks like they’re developing some technology to analyze “skater performance” rather than an improved holder. It says Scorched Ice is using some kind of battery in the holder, which is where I’d guess some of the patents from ThermaBlade come into play.  Actually, what they seem to be attempting to do sounds pretty interesting.  The last link has a direct email to a person rather than an “info” email box.

https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/268712-83#overview

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/scorched-ice

https://sportstechworldseries.com/directory-annual/listing/scorched-ice/

Edited by shooter27

On 11/6/2020 at 10:18 AM, nummer55 said:

Together with a small group of students I'm currently researching different current and potentially new runner treatments that could improve performance (edge retention and glide being the main factors). Due to covid we no longer have access to a sheet of ice, so we are back at literature studies. We basically look at 4 things:

• Steel composition and hardening process
  • Permanent surface treatments (polishing and coating)
  • Temporary surface treatments (oils, coatings)
  • Other improvements (rockering/heating)

In that last category we have the Marsblade holder and the Thermablade (or Therma Blade). Now, the question is if anyone on this board ever skated on them or might still own a pair of those holders? Researching their patent, it seems that in 2015 it was transferred to Scorched Ice Inc which actually seems to have a website. Anyone knows anything about a potential comeback or has a contact I can reach out to to obtain a set?

Another question is about "Fastrax", holding a patent on applying Teflon to a runner. They no longer seem in business, but we see some interesting results when applying PTFE. The only issue is the speed it wears off. Does anyone have experience with their product (if it was ever marketed)? I saw it got mentioned in this thread, so it seems as if it was sold as DIY application product at one point.

I guess my question is if anyone has any more background information on these 'dead' products or maybe even knows other concepts or products from the old days.

Final question is on the more recent 'runner improvements', mainly stuff like 'DLC'. Do you as a skater experience performance improvement with these blades? Do you sharpen your skates less often since you switched to a blade that has a DLC?

I found Bauers LS5 offered more glide on the same hollow than STEP ST, LS3, LS4 or Tydan. I had thought maybe it was just me until a teammate had the same experience after switching.

At one point I had standard LS3 and DLC coated LS3. The coated version held it's edge a little longer and stood up to minor trama better than the standard LS3. I'd say less burring after sharpening too.

Edited by stick9