Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
A2rhino

Ankle pain with True Skates

I recently bought a pair of PROSTOCK TRUE SKATES as I’m going to try and get back on the ice after a few years of not playing. The fit is great other than the outside of the ankle. I was wanting to know if there is a fix to this. I have not molded them yet and not sure if I should return them. 

1 hour ago, A2rhino said:

I recently bought a pair of PROSTOCK TRUE SKATES as I’m going to try and get back on the ice after a few years of not playing. The fit is great other than the outside of the ankle. I was wanting to know if there is a fix to this. I have not molded them yet and not sure if I should return them. 

You have to heat mould them. That's why you are having pain. 

If you have a lot of ankle aversion in your stride you might want to bake them snug over the foot and loose in the ankle. When I baked my MLX the last time, I didn’t lace the top three eyelets.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 6:58 AM, flip12 said:

If you have a lot of ankle aversion in your stride you might want to bake them snug over the foot and loose in the ankle. When I baked my MLX the last time, I didn’t lace the top three eyelets.

That's actually the preference with them now. Not do top 3 and use shrink wrap at the top

On 11/18/2020 at 4:06 PM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

That's actually the preference with them now. Not do top 3 and use shrink wrap at the top

I didn't use shrink wrap anywhere. I let the top three eyelets flare outward to allow for ankle rotation when I skate. It almost got me the same amount of room as in my 703's but not quite.

Next time I bake them I'll wrap all the way along the foot up to the top three eyelets and leave them open again.

Edited by flip12

36 minutes ago, flip12 said:

I didn't use shrink wrap anywhere. I let the top three eyelets flare outward to allow for ankle rotation when I skate. It almost got me the same amount of room as in my 703's but not quite.

Next time I bake them I'll wrap all the way along the foot up to the top three eyelets and leave them open again.

Sorry that should have said the ankle area not the top. You only need to do like 2 go arounds at the top. Then lean forward into the tongue  

Just now, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Sorry that should have said the ankle area not the top. You only need to do like 2 go arounds at the top. Then lean forward into the tongue  

I like to remove the tongue, leave the top 3 or 4 eyelets undone, lace them 70% tight, and then use saran wrap from the forefoot to the top of the ankle. 

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I like to remove the tongue, leave the top 3 or 4 eyelets undone, lace them 70% tight, and then use saran wrap from the forefoot to the top of the ankle. 

With the new thin tongue that wouldn't be the best way as the tongue molds as well. 

3 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

With the new thin tongue that wouldn't be the best way as the tongue molds as well. 

I don't like how the tongue gets compressed when do you do a long bake with the skates and prefer to do the tongue separately after I bake the skates. 

1 minute ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I don't like how the tongue gets compressed when do you do a long bake with the skates and prefer to do the tongue separately after I bake the skates. 

Hummm.  Never had that issue?  How tight are you going with the wrap? 

7 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Hummm.  Never had that issue?  How tight are you going with the wrap? 

Usually as tight as the player asks for. I personally just dont like how the tongue gets all smooshed looking. 

17 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

How long is this long bake?

Your tongue will get compressed from the bake. At least with the felt ones. Not sure about the light weight ones. What I do is heat the skate with tongues. Tie them up. And when I finish the baking and moulding process, I rebake the tongues separately so the crease lines and the areas compressed will "puff" out again. Put them in the fridge to cool em quicky, and they're good to go. 

4 hours ago, flip12 said:

How long is this long bake?

8-10 min

52 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Your tongue will get compressed from the bake. At least with the felt ones. Not sure about the light weight ones. What I do is heat the skate with tongues. Tie them up. And when I finish the baking and moulding process, I rebake the tongues separately so the crease lines and the areas compressed will "puff" out again. Put them in the fridge to cool em quicky, and they're good to go. 

Yes, this is exactly what I am referring to. The new thin tongue easily gets creased when baking and slightly compressed. I think it makes it look ugly.