Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
IPv6Freely

Reverse Retro Jerseys

Now that they're all out, let's play a game. Copy and paste the following text, and fill in your answers:

FIVE BEST:
FIVE WORST:
FIVE HON. MENTION:

Then, feel free to elaborate on your answers. 

image.thumb.png.75321e2591649f7eb57ddb9e756b2707.pngimage.thumb.png.e30ea702c1c3854a7db7d507c6f7138a.pngimage.thumb.png.56707c5429240517c805b8aa01610d79.pngimage.thumb.png.e974470f623b9a5b3f1e658eb483764c.pngimage.thumb.png.552e28676b9820139c2d5af26df4a3ba.pngimage.thumb.png.ef32dc149e75d36b11a745aecc75d2f8.pngimage.thumb.png.ff753cdce37150ade9e5bfbcc2edf30d.pngimage.thumb.png.380804447acc5fb236dcad28a57d4a3d.pngimage.thumb.png.22c65261f24f96cac69cfd46321c3a45.pngimage.thumb.png.f51c43da6479f85cd95b4c635b0d15b6.png

FIVE BEST: Devils, Kings, Panthers, Avalanche, Blues
FIVE WORST: Jets, Canucks, Red Wings, Stars, Islanders
FIVE HON. MENTION: Hurricanes, Canadiens, Bruins, Wild, Sabres

You can clearly see that I'm a fan of the bright palettes. The Blues are ugly in a "so ugly I like it" kind of way. The Devils, Panthers and Kings all have what I feel like should be their PRIMARY uniforms. Kings "Forum Blue" and gold with their 90s logo? Yes please. Devils are a no-brainer. And I know the Avs unis are going to hurt some feelings, but I honestly really like that they used the Avs colors on the Nordiques uniforms. I think it works, as much as it makes no sense to use a fleur-de-lis on a Colorado uniform. Panthers are back to where they should be, away from the awful soccer logo and the numbers and shoulder crests being sewn on backwards.

As far as the worst, I don't even know what's going on with the Jets. The Canucks has always been awful when they had the stupid gradient. The Red Wings looked like they couldn't be bothered trying. The Stars would have been rad if they had just not made the entire thing white. The Islanders are basically just wearing their normal stuff.

The honorable mentions are for jerseys that aren't bad or good, just "not bad" or notable for some other reason. For Hurricanes, any time you see the Whalers uniform and colors it's a going to go well for you. I do actually like the blue base on the Canadiens uniforms. The Bruins jerseys are nice and clean and don't suffer from the far too busy shoulder yokes they have going on right now that make them look super dated. The Wild are using the colors they should absolutely go back to, they just need to nuke their logo from orbit. The Sabres put their proper colors on what I think were their best uniforms (somebody should remind them occasionally that they aren't actually the Buffalo Buffalos)

Someone told me that the Red Wings jerseys were pretty much practice jerseys, and I agree. 

Great: Devils (holy hell that deep green is nice), Hawks, Oilers

Interesting: Habs, Caps, Blues, Panthers, Wilds, Kings, Rangers, Sharks

Awful: Canucks, Wilds (Interesting, but leaning towards awful)

Low Effort (most of these just seem washed out or uninspired) : Stars, Red Wings, Jets, Avs, Tampa, Leafs, Bruins , Penguins, Sens (just poor timing as they are going back to their 2D for the non-retro)

FIVE BEST: Kings, Devils, Avs, Oilers, Capitals
FIVE WORST: Jets, Coyotes, Red Wings, Flames, Sabres
FIVE HON. MENTION: Carolina, Panthers, Columbus, Flyers, Blues

The Kings forum blue with the sport gold and that logo looks fantastic. The Devils with the green as a primary colour looks sharp. I like the pop the orange shoulder yokes give to the Oilers white jersey. The Capitals jersey in red with the eagle and all the stars really stand out. The Avs call back to the Nordiques is nice. 

I was close to putting Carolina in the top 5 as I do like the look of the Whale jersey, but would prefer white to grey as the main colour. I agree with IPV that the Panthers jersey should be their primary. The Blues, Philly and Columbus jerseys have bright colours that pop.

The Jets jersey is such a disappointment since they have so many great colour options - the grey is just so drab and boring. The purple does pop on the Coyotes jersey, but that logo and the graphics on the bottom are just too ugly for my tastes. The Wings jersey is too plain and does look like a practice jersey. 

FIVE BEST: Yotes, Caps, Blues, Wild & Kings
FIVE WORST: Red Wings, Smashville, Stars, Tampa & Toronto
FIVE HON. MENTION: Avs, NJ, Knights, Carolina, Buffalo & CBJ

Best: I like these because I'm a sucker for throwback references haha. I think these sweaters do a great job of doing that via color and/or logo.

Worst: I just think these are too plain. Doesn't seem like much was done to make them more unique from the standard jerseys.

Honorables: These ones I really like and would've been my "Next Five Best" if there was such a category. 

The rest didn't move the needle for me in either direction.

Howdy,

5 best:  Coyotes, Capitals, Jets, Rangers, Stars

5 worst: Pittsburgh, Detroit, Islanders, Blues, Avalanche

5 honorable mention:  Ducks, Vegas, Flyers, Jersey, Carolina

Pittsburgh in particular is a disappointment.  Just come out with a totally blank jersey if the best you can do is spell your team / city name across the front of the thing.  Horrible.

Agree that Detroit looks like a practice jersey.

100% agree that the Islanders just didn't want to play and sent in their current jersey design.

The Avalanche jersey is more about a stupid logo (why is there a sad elephant on a hockey jersey) and "Hey Quebec, we took your team away, but at least we made a jersey to remind you of that".  Outside of that, the jersey itself is fine.

The Ducks jersey has promise, but its like someone snuck in and stole the logo before the designer had time to add color.

I actually like the Vegas jersey, but no team that's been around for 3 years gets to have a retro jersey.  Stop it.

Always liked the Flyers colors and this retro jersey looks good.  But its not some huge departure from normal and I live in Pittsburgh, so I'm not allowed to like it anyway.

New Jersey's colorway is good.  Uninspiring in terms of logo though.

I feel like I should like Carolina's throwback, but the colors mostly kinda suck.  I have a little less of a "hey we stole your team, here's a jersey" reaction.  Not sure why.  Maybe because they stole the team from Hartford rather than the land of hockey.

But really... Mostly I'm posting just because Pittsburgh's jersey is such a disappointment.

Mark

Howdy,

10 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Sad elephant? Lol. You know that’s an igloo, right? 

I know that's the excuse they use.  But I can't see it without thinking that someone is throwing a ball to a sad elephant / elephant that had an unfortunate encounter with a car and got its trunk run over.

Mark

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 11:16 AM, marka said:

Pittsburgh in particular is a disappointment.  Just come out with a totally blank jersey if the best you can do is spell your team / city name across the front of the thing.  Horrible.

I like it, not that anyone needed another jersey, but at least they didn't base it on the weird 90s penguin.

On 11/22/2020 at 11:16 AM, marka said:

The Avalanche jersey is more about a stupid logo (why is there a sad elephant on a hockey jersey) and "Hey Quebec, we took your team away, but at least we made a jersey to remind you of that".  Outside of that, the jersey itself is fine.

You hit the nail on the head, this is what bugs me the most about it. "We won't give you a team, but rest assured we will be making money off your legacy"

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 8:16 AM, BenBreeg said:

I like it, not that anyone needed another jersey, but at least they didn't base it on the weird 90s penguin.

I think the "jerseys that should never be seen again" would have actually been interesting for this. Kings burger king jersey. Blues trumpet jersey. Robopenguin. Fisherman. Buffaslug. The Ducks went all out on theirs, in that regard. 

1 hour ago, Giltis said:

You hit the nail on the head, this is what bugs me the most about it. "We won't give you a team, but rest assured we will be making money off your legacy"

Honestly, I like what Colorado did, and to a lesser degree what Minnesota did though they're both in the same category. As much as I love Whalers unis, I think doing a Hurricanes jersey in whalers colors would have been interesting. I don't think a Colorado jersey in Nordiques colors would have looked good at all so they went the other way around.

I kind of wish the Jets had done some sort of asymmetric design based on the Thrashers jerseys and colors with the Jets logo could have been interesting. At least way more so than what they ended up doing.