Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Random thought - Why sticks don't wood ends anymore?

Not having an endcap gives me nightmares about butt ending myself in the zamboni door and impaling myself. 

(I don’t think I’ve had a stick stuck in the boards in years, and taping a butt end would disperse enough of the force that it wouldn’t be any more painful than normal. Still. Nightmares.)  

10 hours ago, start_today said:

Not having an endcap gives me nightmares about butt ending myself in the zamboni door and impaling myself. 

(I don’t think I’ve had a stick stuck in the boards in years, and taping a butt end would disperse enough of the force that it wouldn’t be any more painful than normal. Still. Nightmares.)  

Look at it the opposite way...    next time I need to clear space in front of the net for myself.....    

12 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Look at it the opposite way...    next time I need to clear space in front of the net for myself.....    

So you're that guy? I'm a D man and I do not approve this message.

• Haha 1

On 12/14/2020 at 11:52 PM, colins said:

Easton was on a huge roll of delivering some of the finest high end composite sticks on the market up to the release of the EQ50 which was a huge flop.

The weights in the top of the shaft weren't even that bad but the heel weight insert in the blade was terrible.

Whoever was responsible for that release should have been fired. I'm not sure Easton ever really recovered their position in the stick market after that did they?

The SE16 had the weights in the heel and nobody cared until they were visible in the EQ50. 

EQ50 got an undeserved bum rap because of that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

Not only did the EQ50 get a bum rap but I recall the SE16 having quite the cult following.

SE16 was a great stick, only flaw it had was the hollow core blades would go 'crunchy' and lose their pop pretty quick. The blade wouldn't be visibly broken, but the internal structure would be compromised.

I guess that was some of the early days before they had all the foams and internal rib structures figured out for durability.

The weight on the back of the EQ50 was a physical 'bump' on the blade and I don't think people liked that. The Warrior Spyne blades also had a non-flat back surface and didn't seem to instill confidence in most people's minds for handling the puck.

Easton blades losing their pop seemed to be the standard for them. 

I still have an eq50 tapered shaft with the weights in it. Had to super glue the weights in it to get it to stay in place. Actually messed around with it this weekend, forgot how good the feel is, just wish it had a slightly lower flex.

On 12/14/2020 at 8:52 PM, colins said:

Easton was on a huge roll of delivering some of the finest high end composite sticks on the market up to the release of the EQ50 which was a huge flop.

The weights in the top of the shaft weren't even that bad but the heel weight insert in the blade was terrible.

Whoever was responsible for that release should have been fired. I'm not sure Easton ever really recovered their position in the stick market after that did they?

The EQ line of stick was a flop but the Stealth series was still very popular.  S19, RS, RS II

3 hours ago, colins said:

SE16 was a great stick, only flaw it had was the hollow core blades would go 'crunchy' and lose their pop pretty quick. The blade wouldn't be visibly broken, but the internal structure would be compromised.

I guess that was some of the early days before they had all the foams and internal rib structures figured out for durability.

The weight on the back of the EQ50 was a physical 'bump' on the blade and I don't think people liked that. The Warrior Spyne blades also had a non-flat back surface and didn't seem to instill confidence in most people's minds for handling the puck.

The SE16 was also terrible.  Never seen a stick chip as badly.

9 minutes ago, mickz said:

The EQ line of stick was a flop but the Stealth series was still very popular.  S19, RS, RS II

The SE16 was also terrible.  Never seen a stick chip as badly.

The paint flaked off in big sections given the shiny/reflective properties but I didn't find the shaft or blade chipped particularly easy. The blade durability was junk though, but most loved the performance up to the point where the blade integrity got compromised.

The first gen RS with the oval hosel was brutal for durability, I remember kids in peewee and bantam that were breaking them off it seemed on a weekly basis. But the feel/performance was stellar for those that liked them. It wasn't until the S19 that they seemed to make them hold up a bit better.

I was trying to find weight measurements for blades from that era, but I couldn’t. I don’t think the eq50 was that much, if any, heavier. However, I think people were freaked out by seeing the “weights” in the heel, when in reality they were just ill convinced visuals. Just seeing them made people think of added weight, regardless of actual feel/balance. 

On 12/21/2020 at 11:09 PM, colins said:

The paint flaked off in big sections given the shiny/reflective properties but I didn't find the shaft or blade chipped particularly easy. The blade durability was junk though, but most loved the performance up to the point where the blade integrity got compromised.

The first gen RS with the oval hosel was brutal for durability, I remember kids in peewee and bantam that were breaking them off it seemed on a weekly basis. But the feel/performance was stellar for those that liked them. It wasn't until the S19 that they seemed to make them hold up a bit better.

I have never had a problem with the shafts on any of the elliptical shaft Stealth sticks. I actually just put my last pro stock Bennett Stealth CX into action for the first time last night. If that guy ever retires I'm going to be screwed trying to find another mild mid curve. Luckily, I just stocked up with a few of his Warrior pro stocks.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 9:09 PM, colins said:

I honestly never had this experience. I had the blades going soft or breaking in the RS, but the RS II was great and I had no issues with the CX or S19. HTX and GX I found to be very durable, same with V9E. I did always use a stick that was significant lower flex than I usually used with Easton's, not sure if that changed anything. I use 85 usually, but had no problem with high end Eastons in 65-70

On 12/16/2020 at 3:26 AM, flip12 said:

I also usually add a wooden plug for balance. It feels like it’s mostly a weight distribution issue for me, rather than a question of material/vibrational medium. I tested using a plastic plug with a bolt fed through it. I loaded it up with washers to adjust the balance and I couldn’t really feel a difference between that and having a wooden plug of the same weight.

The only sticks that I’ve tried that have had great feel without having to add a plug have been Trues. Also a Kovalev gamer but his shaft is heavier than normal and the end plug probably weighs 40-50g as well, effectively reproducing the effect of an end plug.

Do you have a Kovalev game used stick? I'm dying to know how short he cut his sticks from heel to the top of shaft.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, knasty said:

Do you have a Kovalev game used stick? I'm dying to know how short he cut his sticks from heel to the top of shaft.

I see I mistyped in the post you quoted, the Kovalev stick I have doesn't have a plug, it has a Tacki-Mac that weighs about 36g.