Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Westside

How big of a difference does a tongue's thickness make?

I've been wearing the last gen Bauer X900 (retail) skates for the last few years in a size 8.5D. Skate has always been comfortable and never given me any pain/pressure/lace bite. Earlier this year I went to my LHS to try on a pair of 2X Pros both in 8.5D and 8D. My left foot is slightly larger than my right so the 8 was a bit too snug, but the 8.5's felt good. Thought if I could find a pair or pro stock in size 8.25D, that would be my sweet spot. I also prefer traditional eyelets over the injected ones. 

A pair recently popped up in my specs so I grabbed them. They have a traditional tongue which I didn't think I'd mind. Length and width wise, the skates fit my feet very snug, but well enough. After baking and breaking in I think they'd be the right fit. But I'm getting unbelievable pressure on the top of my foot where the first few eyelets are. The only thing I could think of that would make such an impact in fit with these skates vs my current skates and what I've tried on is the tongue. After doing research, I believe the tongues are from the APX2 which would be 52oz. My current tongues are a mix of 48oz on the top and 40oz on the sides. The standard 2X Pro tongue is 48oz. 

I don't know anything about tongues so I'm not sure what 4oz or 12oz would equate to in terms of fit. Would anyone be able to shed some insight? Is there something else I might be missing? I don't believe I can return the skates, but they're also unskatable at this point. I thought I could look into someplace around Los Angeles and see if I could have the tongues of both my skates swapped, or find a stock pair of 2X Pro tongues and put them in. Also contemplated cutting portions of the tongue up to create more room, but that didn't seem like a wise move.

Here are both tongues for reference

1608485524229-vi.jpg

and here is where the pressure is

1608485518720-vi.jpg

*EDIT* 

After swapping out footbeds from the stock Bauer ones to the Super Feet I normally use I noted the markings on the inside of the skate. From using the search, are these a C/AAA skate and not a D/A? If that's the case, that would probably cause more of a problem than the tongue, right? 

1608500725880-vi.jpg

Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Westside

Measure them across the forefoot. If you don't have any calipers use something like a wire coat hanger. If the forefoot is smaller (C versus D) in width you have your answer, it's not the tongue but the width and when you crank down on the laces it's putting pressure on your foot. I'd say tie really loose or not at all as a fix but if you like your laces tight then you should get the skates stretched in that area, that will help a lot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Westside said:

After swapping out footbeds from the stock Bauer ones to the Super Feet I normally use I noted the markings on the inside of the skate. From using the search, are these a C/AAA skate and not a D/A? If that's the case, that would probably cause more of a problem than the tongue, right? 

Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated!

Correct in that these are a C width with a AAA heel and not a D.

Yup these are C width in the forefoot. Definitely lesson 1 in pro stock is check the footbeds. You can stretch them in the forefoot and hope for the best. How are the heels?