Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SirJW

Ads on Helmets is a Reality

It is what it is, at least it looks better than some of the Euro teams where it’s like they slapped a sticker on the front of helmet seconds before they went on the ice.

With all of the lost ticket sales due to Covid, they've got to try and make up those revenues somewhere. Granted, these ads will be here to stay and likely followed by jersey and pant ads.

• Like 2

Just really hate this...  I understand it but these jerseys are sacred to me and that's what's next.  They also totally REPLACED the team logo on the helmet.  Thats a bad sign to me  It also brings teams closer to the commercial pressures of sponsors.  I know they already are but this gets us even closer.

Edited by dkmiller3356
  • Like 1

Agreed, and the reduced revenue landscape brought on by Covid opened the doors for the NHL to finally move forward with ads on game day gear. Most teams already have ad deals on their practice gear.

During the summer I always wondered why they didn't have a car like Euro games, thought maybe it was the arena, yet the Jrs have a car. 

On 12/24/2020 at 6:12 PM, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

It's a business. There is no "purity" in sports. Enjoy it for what its worth. I have no issue the NHL maximizing its dollar. 

There is some purity. It's called pickup with the boys. But I hear what your saying and agree 100%. There's no use looking for that Pure hockey in the NHL, but if you're looking for it, it does exist

My only issue about the ads is the revenue should be shared so small market teams don't suffer while big markets rake in much more. 

The ads on the ice and boards are sold on a team by team basis. Moving forward as ads creep on the uniforms it needs to be discussed. But hey I don't write the NHL business model. 

As far as I understood it, the helmet ads aren’t just bonus money but are actually paying towards the NHLs missing tv deal revenues or something like that.

On 12/28/2020 at 7:04 PM, SirJW said:

My only issue about the ads is the revenue should be shared so small market teams don't suffer while big markets rake in much more. 

The ads on the ice and boards are sold on a team by team basis. Moving forward as ads creep on the uniforms it needs to be discussed. But hey I don't write the NHL business model. 

The NHL has never really been into that sort of thing. It seems like their approach is more, a team either makes it in a given market or they don't. It's the franchise's problem, not the league. It seems like this is even more prevalent in hockey as opposed to other sports.

• Like 1