Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Expanding foam in your stick?

I skated with a guy yesterday who puts a small amount of canned spray insulating foam sealant in his sticks claiming it helps make the stick have a better feel, doesn't add any weight, and makes the stick slightly stiffer. He is a small but stocky guy so he uses intermediate sticks and it does seem like the spray foam does make the stick a little more rigid though I imagine if it ruins the kick point as well. 

I recall at one point some manufacturers used to put foams in composite shafts but couldn't remember what manufacturers did that. Does anyone recollect which ones? 

• Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I put spray insulating foam in my skates after I tie them. It eliminates negative space and helps achieve better heel lock.

Does that hinder forward flex? 🤔

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I put spray insulating foam in my skates after I tie them. It eliminates negative space and helps achieve better heel lock.

Ill have to give that a try. 

Busch sticks (Sher-Wood Carbone, Itech/Busch Balance, Graf Laser) didn't have hollow shafts - they were filled, but a completely different manufacturing process.  Other than the TPS Adrenaline, which had a vibration-dampening insert in the shaft, every high-end stick was hollow.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chippa13 said:

I recall ages ago I cut an Easton aluminum shaft way down and found there was an almost spongy type foam inside.

Easton aluminum shafts had a foam that was basically the same as what you'd find in a seat cushion.  I remember blocking a shot that punched a hole in the shaft, and my whole team was baffled by the spongy foam bulging out of the shaft.  I still have no idea what it was supposed to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larry54 said:

Get an old pair of Reebok pump skates and fill the bladder with spray foam instead of air.:1396_metal_tone2:

I know this is a joke, but now you've got me thinking.  Could you cut open the bladder pockets and put some memory foam in there?  The mad scientist in me wants to try it! 🤣

7 hours ago, chippa13 said:

I recall ages ago I cut an Easton aluminum shaft way down and found there was an almost spongy type foam inside.

Yeah, aluminum‘s completely different. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I skated with a guy yesterday who puts a small amount of canned spray insulating foam sealant in his sticks claiming it helps make the stick have a better feel, doesn't add any weight, and makes the stick slightly stiffer. He is a small but stocky guy so he uses intermediate sticks and it does seem like the spray foam does make the stick a little more rigid though I imagine if it ruins the kick point as well. 

I recall at one point some manufacturers used to put foams in composite shafts but couldn't remember what manufacturers did that. Does anyone recollect which ones? 

Insulating spray foam is slightly soft after it dries so I doubt it's adding any rigidity or altering the kick point stiffness. It might be absorbing shock if anything.