Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Soldat39

Help with custom skates

Hello, 

Been reading this boards for awhile, but first time signing up and posting. 

I’ve been searching for new skates for 3 + years.

Little history, bigger guy that’s been wearing skates two sizes too big due to width issues and pain. It’s worked for me. Usually wear a 10 EE Bauer Supreme

Started with Bauer Customs 3 years ago, didn’t work out at all. Way too big.

Ended up getting scanned last year and getting the recommended 8.5 EE Bauer supremes pro S2 last year. Right before covid shutdown.... I ended up losing 50 pounds during shutdown and now My right skate feels great, but left skate is just too wide.   Got scanned again, and yeah my left foot is now a E

Tried the stable 26, bunga pads, you name it I’ve tried it, have tons of inserts, insoles and even figure skating insoles . Nothing seems to help. I’m still wearing my old over sized skates while 2000 dollars worth of skates just sits in my basement.

My buddy got custom trues, a few months ago, they didn’t work out for him. So I’m a bit weary about those now. I’m not looking for a high pressure mold of a stock skate, I want a fully custom skate. I’m in Des Moines, Iowa. So my options aren’t great. I can drive to Minnesota no problem, is CCM the only full custom skate on the market now? What you recommend? 

Thank you and sorry for the long post

11 hours ago, Soldat39 said:

Hello, 

Been reading this boards for awhile, but first time signing up and posting. 

I’ve been searching for new skates for 3 + years.

Little history, bigger guy that’s been wearing skates two sizes too big due to width issues and pain. It’s worked for me. Usually wear a 10 EE Bauer Supreme

Ended up getting scanned last year and getting the recommended 8.5 EE Bauer supremes pro S2 last year. Right before covid shutdown.... I ended up losing 50 pounds during shutdown and now My right skate feels great, but left skate is just too wide.   Got scanned again, and yeah my left foot is now a E

Tried the stable 26, bunga pads, you name it I’ve tried it, have tons of inserts, insoles and even figure skating insoles . Nothing seems to help. I’m still wearing my old over sized skates while 2000 dollars worth of skates just sits in my basement.

My buddy got custom trues, a few months ago, they didn’t work out for him. So I’m a bit weary about those now. I’m not looking for a high pressure mold of a stock skate, I want a fully custom skate. I’m in Des Moines, Iowa. So my options aren’t great. I can drive to Minnesota no problem, is CCM the only full custom skate on the market now? What you recommend? 

Thank you and sorry for the long post

WHat didn't work out for your buddy and the true skates?

I just got my true customs done and they are all around great for me.  I've had a dozen or so skates on them so far and have zero issues.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Soldat39 said:

been wearing skates two sizes too big due to width issues and pain. It’s worked for me. Usually wear a 10 EE Bauer Supreme

Maybe I missed something here. You started out in skates 2 sizes too big and then got Bauer customs and they were way too big? Why didn't you get the Bauers remade if that was the case? I'm assuming here you got measured up for the customs???

Any boot is dependent on the accuracy of the measurements and the skill of the fitter, garbage in equals garbage out. I'm sorry if your friend had a bad experience with True (and you with Bauer) but overall the process for customs is generally very good regardless of who you go to. And True stand by their boot, if they can't get it to work you get your money back (I don't know what Bauer or CCM will do if they can't get the boot to fit). I can't comment on the CCM retail custom process, someone else with more knowledge about the process may want to chime in here if CCM will make a custom boot for you from the ground up.

The sad fact of a skate too big is that it remains that way, you can't make it any smaller (or at least in any meaningful way that I have ever found). If the width issue is in the heel you might want to try some ezyfit booties in the 2mm or 3mm thickness, these will help to fill the negative space in the heel. For myself personally, heel lock and width isn't the solution skaters believe it to be, how well you can skate is what primarily determines your comfort in the skate.

15 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Maybe I missed something here. You started out in skates 2 sizes too big and then got Bauer customs and they were way too big? Why didn't you get the Bauers remade if that was the case? I'm assuming here you got measured up for the customs???

Any boot is dependent on the accuracy of the measurements and the skill of the fitter, garbage in equals garbage out. I'm sorry if your friend had a bad experience with True (and you with Bauer) but overall the process for customs is generally very good regardless of who you go to. And True stand by their boot, if they can't get it to work you get your money back (I don't know what Bauer or CCM will do if they can't get the boot to fit). I can't comment on the CCM retail custom process, someone else with more knowledge about the process may want to chime in here if CCM will make a custom boot for you from the ground up.

The sad fact of a skate too big is that it remains that way, you can't make it any smaller (or at least in any meaningful way that I have ever found). If the width issue is in the heel you might want to try some ezyfit booties in the 2mm or 3mm thickness, these will help to fill the negative space in the heel. For myself personally, heel lock and width isn't the solution skaters believe it to be, how well you can skate is what primarily determines your comfort in the skate.

So, on the Bauer customs  I got them measured by hand locally,  my store didn’t have the scanning system at the time . A lot issues with those, depth issues, ( they put me in a nexus boot) way too wide. Bauer told me, I was put in the wrong boot. Didn’t hold anything against Bauer on those. 

About my friends true. He got them made in Minnesota last year, he needed a size 13. The original make ended up being too short for his foot. His toes were jammed, the 2nd attempt wasn’t much better. 

So, I’m a little gun shy about dropping another 1000 +, I was going to do Custom Trues this go around. But I heard they don’t do full customs now for the average customer. 

10 hours ago, jlt73 said:

WHat didn't work out for your buddy and the true skates?

I just got my true customs done and they are all around great for me.  I've had a dozen or so skates on them so far and have zero issues.

This was probably the most disappointing thing. I talked him into getting custom Trues, the overall boot for him was comfy and fit well except the boot length, they ended being too short for him, his toes were jammed.