Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
skates73

Ultrasonic vs Vapor 2X Pro

I have always been a Supreme guy but considering Vapor due to the fact that I the Ultrasonics do not come with injected eyelets.

I honestly don't even remember the difference in feel between the traditional eyelets and injected but I know I like the injected eyelets.  I think it gave it more of that stiff stable feel for lateral agility etc.

Talking with the box store people about this and they seem to all say, due to the new fit system, there's no difference between vapor and supreme now as far as feel and on ice differences.  I doubt this though because there seems to be a difference in the boot being offset at the sides in the Vapors and I'm not sure what else (ie pitch etc).  All I know is that a few years ago I decided to try a pair of Vapors (because my skating style is much more "vapor like") out and there was a significant difference and feel than compared to the supremes.  Didn't like them and sold them.  

Wondering if people have any thoughts as to whether there is a difference in feel between the 2 lines now that the fit system is the "same".  

15 hours ago, skates73 said:

I have always been a Supreme guy but considering Vapor due to the fact that I the Ultrasonics do not come with injected eyelets.

I honestly don't even remember the difference in feel between the traditional eyelets and injected but I know I like the injected eyelets.  I think it gave it more of that stiff stable feel for lateral agility etc.

Talking with the box store people about this and they seem to all say, due to the new fit system, there's no difference between vapor and supreme now as far as feel and on ice differences.  I doubt this though because there seems to be a difference in the boot being offset at the sides in the Vapors and I'm not sure what else (ie pitch etc).  All I know is that a few years ago I decided to try a pair of Vapors (because my skating style is much more "vapor like") out and there was a significant difference and feel than compared to the supremes.  Didn't like them and sold them.  

Wondering if people have any thoughts as to whether there is a difference in feel between the 2 lines now that the fit system is the "same".  

If you didn't like them before it's likely you still won like them now.

The Fit system has allowed more people to fit into Supreme or Vapor, offering them more choice, but if you didn't like them before why would you think you would like them now?

What didn't you like? The fit? The feel? 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 7:08 PM, skates73 said:

As I understand it. Vapors are still vapors. The new Fit System didn't change the dynamics of the boot it just allowed people with different foot shapes to use whatever model they want. So those big box guys saying there is not difference are on crack. They likely mean there is no difference in overall fit, not line to line.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, stick9 said:

As I understand it. Vapors are still vapors. The new Fit System didn't change the dynamics of the boot it just allowed people with different foot shapes to use whatever model they want. So those big box guys saying there is not difference are on crack. They likely mean there is no difference in overall fit, not line to line.

Right, that is my understanding as well.  The new fit system allows each model to have 3 fits (1,2,3) instead of two (D, EE).  But the features of the different models are still different from each other.  I believe the Vapors are still asymmetrical and have the X ribs in the heel.  Obviously as the OP has identified, they also have the injected lacing system.  The Supreme boots have different features (traditional lace system, etc.).  

• Like 2

As everyone else has said, the new fit system is meant to allow users to choose their skates based on features, rather than fit. Supremes are meant for “power”. They will wrap the foot better (the reason for the removal of the injected eyelets), and have features like the reflex tongue and tendon guard meant to improve stride efficiency and power transfer. Vapor are for “agility”. They have features meant to enhance lateral skating like the asymmetrical last, injected eyelets (less wrap), and heel ribs. There will be slight variations in feel because of that, but they won’t be as big as they used to be. Someone like you who felt they fit in a Supreme best in the past may now find a Vapor in a Fit 2 to be much more comfortable and similar than before. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 8:21 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

If you didn't like them before it's likely you still won like them now.

The Fit system has allowed more people to fit into Supreme or Vapor, offering them more choice, but if you didn't like them before why would you think you would like them now?

What didn't you like? The fit? The feel? 

I figure with the new fit system the Vapor boot might feel like the Supreme.  I did get to try the Vapors (in a fit 2) on and they did feel more similar.  I just don't know how the offset boot and other differences between the two models would feel on the ice when I'm actually skating though.  

When I last bought Vapors several years ago before the new fit system, it just didn't work for me.  Fit, feel.  To be honest I didn't deeply analyze exactly what I didn't like when I had them for like a few skates.  Just that it was quite noticeably different than the Supremes I always went with.  Fit wasn't bad, but just a bit different and something I didn't expect would be as big a deal until I got on the ice.  I feel like there were probably other nuances about the boot I didn't like too but it's been too long ago to remember.         

On 1/5/2021 at 11:51 AM, stick9 said:

Yes, I think the only way to really know is to actually skate in them because to me both the lines with the same Fit felt fairly similar when I tried them out in store.  I'm just a bit leery about the offset boot in the Vapor since I've always been with the regular cut boot the Supremes have.    

On 1/28/2021 at 7:46 PM, skates73 said:

Yes, I think the only way to really know is to actually skate in them because to me both the lines with the same Fit felt fairly similar when I tried them out in store.  I'm just a bit leery about the offset boot in the Vapor since I've always been with the regular cut boot the Supremes have.    

I tried 2s pro about year ago. I now have apx 2 vapor skates. There was a huge difference between supreme and vapor. 2s pro feels that i am skating on my heels and couldn’t get good forward lean. The boot are more neutral pitched than vapor in my opinion. Can someone tell me am i right about the pitch ? Few LHS gyus have told me that vapor have more aggressive stance than supreme skate. Also the eyeletline are L-shaped in vapors and U-shaped in Supreme’s and thats allow you to the better forward lean also.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Allu said:

I tried 2s pro about year ago. I now have apx 2 vapor skates. There was a huge difference between supreme and vapor. 2s pro feels that i am skating on my heels and couldn’t get good forward lean. The boot are more neutral pitched than vapor in my opinion. Can someone tell me am i right about the pitch ? Few LHS gyus have told me that vapor have more aggressive stance than supreme skate. Also the eyeletline are L-shaped in vapors and U-shaped in Supreme’s and thats allow you to the better forward lean also.

I would say the new Supreme skates (Ultrasonic/3S Pro) have a little more forward lean than the previous models, especially since they are paired with steel with a ProSharp profile from the factory and the new eyelet system allows for more forward flexion than the previous design. 

21 hours ago, PBH said:

I would say the new Supreme skates (Ultrasonic/3S Pro) have a little more forward lean than the previous models, especially since they are paired with steel with a ProSharp profile from the factory and the new eyelet system allows for more forward flexion than the previous design. 

So does that mean that when you buy new steel, you have to pay almost the same again to get it profiled? 

2 hours ago, Leif said:

So does that mean that when you buy new steel, you have to pay almost the same again to get it profiled? 

Sorry, I don't understand the question. Can you phrase it differently? 

33 minutes ago, PBH said:

Sorry, I don't understand the question. Can you phrase it differently? 

Yes. You said the skates come with runners that have a ProSharp profile applied. That means when you buy new runners, you will have to pay extra to get them profiled as per the ones on the skates, assuming you like the profile, and assuming I understood. 

Edited by Leif

6 minutes ago, Leif said:

Yes. You said the skates come with runners that have a ProSharp profile applied. That means when you buy new runners, you will have to pay extra to get them profiled as per the ones on the skates, assuming you like the profile, and assuming I understood. 

That is correct. 

On 2/2/2021 at 2:00 AM, Allu said:

I definitely agree that the Supremes had a more neutral pitch  (whether it was the boot/eyelets or the holder or both) in the "pre-Fit1,2,3" era.  I wonder if that has remained the same with the current line of Ultrasonics and Vapor 2X Pro.  I'd assume so.    

On 2/4/2021 at 2:52 AM, skates73 said:

I definitely agree that the Supremes had a more neutral pitch  (whether it was the boot/eyelets or the holder or both) in the "pre-Fit1,2,3" era.  I wonder if that has remained the same with the current line of Ultrasonics and Vapor 2X Pro.  I'd assume so.    

Yes, i asked the LHS guy and he said that vapor is vapor and supreme is supreme so skates are different in those specs that you mentioned. The new fit system only allows more people to fit the skates but they are built by different types of players.