Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JAY4114

Skate width

Short answer, get scanned and try some skates on.

Different brands will have different "profiles" of foot for their different widths, so even if you follow some of the procedures you'll find online for foot ratios etc., you may not know exactly what skate will fit you best. Get to a shop that has lots of boots and you'll find which feel good and which don't.

Regarding skates you already have, it should be on the label somewhere along with the skate size, if not then it's likely that those skates are a D/Regular width.

Edited by robbjbyoung

3 minutes ago, robbjbyoung said:

Short answer, get scanned and try some skates on.

Different brands will have different "profiles" of foot for their different widths, so even if you follow some of the procedures you'll find online for foot ratios etc., you may not know exactly what skate will fit you best. Get to a shop that has lots of boots and you'll find which feel good and which don't.

Regarding skates you already have, it should be on the label somewhere along with the skate size, if not then it's likely that those skates are a D/Regular width.

My issue feels like my arch cramping in my skate. I’m trying to do roller hockey and couldn’t because the pain was too bad to do anything for over 10 minutes. I’m not exactly sure what the pain is or what it’s caused from. I have vapors that are in a regular width that are a size too small. I did get measured before and they told me I’m a fit 3 and I don’t remember the width but it wasn’t regular or narrow. Would it be worth it to find a medium volume similar to fit 2 in a wide or extra wide? Or because I already need a wide in fit 3 it would be pointless to try? I am on a budget because I may never play competitively for my school because of my lack of game experience but I would still really like to find an in-house league somewhere. The one game I’ve played my skating was sub par due to just getting lessons before shut down and not being able to skate for 3 months before the game. I started feeling the pain during the 3rd period and was told after the game that I looked in slow motion and not moving very much most likely from the pain.  

The Bauer Fit system has done away with widths entirely: Fit 1 is analogous to a Vapor Reg width boot, Fit 2 a regular width Supreme, and Fit 3 a regular width Nexus.

Bauer New Performance Fit System - Centre Ice

As such if you have been told that Fit 3 is the best fit then I can see why a pair of Regular width Vapors a size down from what you need would be crushing your feet in all directions, which for sure would result in pain, including in the arches. I myself wear a pair of Nexus skates in a Nexus D width because of my very tall, fairly narrow feet, and huge arches. That's what's worked for me, but your mileage will majorly vary.

Could a "fit 2" boot in the right size fit you better? Sure. Could it be the best fit? Possibly, but I wouldn't count out the Fit 3 or Wide fit high volume options from other brands.

CCM's Tacks line is the mid-high volume boot they make, so perhaps see if you can fit a Tacks wide fit in a given size, or a ribcor as they do accommodate wide feet quite well.

All in all, you're gonna have to either roll the dice, or categorically refine your search until you end up with the best option, then see what budget option that leaves you with.

4 minutes ago, robbjbyoung said:

The Bauer Fit system has done away with widths entirely: Fit 1 is analogous to a Vapor Reg width boot, Fit 2 a regular width Supreme, and Fit 3 a regular width Nexus.

Bauer New Performance Fit System - Centre Ice

As such if you have been told that Fit 3 is the best fit then I can see why a pair of Regular width Vapors a size down from what you need would be crushing your feet in all directions, which for sure would result in pain, including in the arches. I myself wear a pair of Nexus skates in a Nexus D width because of my very tall, fairly narrow feet, and huge arches. That's what's worked for me, but your mileage will majorly vary.

Could a "fit 2" boot in the right size fit you better? Sure. Could it be the best fit? Possibly, but I wouldn't count out the Fit 3 or Wide fit high volume options from other brands.

CCM's Tacks line is the mid-high volume boot they make, so perhaps see if you can fit a Tacks wide fit in a given size, or a ribcor as they do accommodate wide feet quite well.

All in all, you're gonna have to either roll the dice, or categorically refine your search until you end up with the best option, then see what budget option that leaves you with.

Ok. I’m playing roller so they don’t offer extra wide widths in my price range. Would a medium volume with a wide width be somewhat equal to a high volume regular width? For Bauer I was scanned at either an E or EE fit 3 I can’t remember. 

2 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Sounds to me like the heel is too narrow for you. Look into Tours

I did try a tour kv2 and I had the same issue. It could have been because of the high arch on the insole but I took it out and had the same pain and it didn’t lessen at all. 

What do you wear on the ice now?  Sounds like Vapor (even in a roller, which tends to be a bit wider) is too narrow/shallow for you.  Get a used, good condition pair of the same boot you use on ice, a cheap chassis, wheels, etc. (either separate or from a donor pair of skates) and transfer the chassis to the ice boot.  You can do the work yourself with a drill, some bolts and a screwdriver. 

Or if you feel good about Fit 3 being the right move, pick up a pair of Nexus, as it will be the closest to what the scanner recommended.  You might also try the Mission inlines, as they fit closer to a Supreme, but had a bit more width as I understand it. 

I also come out a fit 3 and I am finding (through some experimentation) that it is less about the width (although that is a factor) and more about the depth I need.  I too have suffered through skates that hurt my feet to the point of having to get off the ice, untie, re-tie and try again.  Most of the pain is on top of my foot and into my arches.  Getting aftermarket insoles with the right amount of arch support is critical.  After being scanned for Fit 3, I picked up some older Nexus.  The depth is great, no more pain.  But the boot is a bit too wide and sloppy.  If I go to a lower volume skate, pain comes back.  If I go to a narrower skate, but the depth is sufficient, no pain. 

Edited by krisdrum

10 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

What do you wear on the ice now?  Sounds like Vapor (even in a roller, which tends to be a bit wider) is too narrow/shallow for you.  Get a used, good condition pair of the same boot you use on ice, a cheap chassis, wheels, etc. (either separate or from a donor pair of skates) and transfer the chassis to the ice boot.  You can do the work yourself with a drill, some bolts and a screwdriver. 

Or if you feel good about Fit 3 being the right move, pick up a pair of Nexus, as it will be the closest to what the scanner recommended.  You might also try the Mission inlines, as they fit closer to a Supreme, but had a bit more width as I understand it. 

I also come out a fit 3 and I am finding (through some experimentation) that it is less about the width (although that is a factor) and more about the depth I need.  I too have suffered through skates that hurt my feet to the point of having to get off the ice, untie, re-tie and try again.  Most of the pain is on top of my foot and into my arches.  Getting aftermarket insoles with the right amount of arch support is critical.  After being scanned for Fit 3, I picked up some older Nexus.  The depth is great, no more pain.  But the boot is a bit too wide and sloppy.  If I go to a lower volume skate, pain comes back.  If I go to a narrower skate, but the depth is sufficient, no pain. 

I don’t play ice hockey. I’ve only ever owned the vapor skates I have and they hurt. I don’t get pain at the top of my foot. Really the only way I can describe the pain is like a burning cramp but it goes away as soon as I take the skate off. It still resonates a little bit if I walk around but as soon as I put the skate back on and go out again the pain comes right back quicker than before

1 minute ago, JAY4114 said:

I don’t play ice hockey. I’ve only ever owned the vapor skates I have and they hurt. I don’t get pain at the top of my foot. Really the only way I can describe the pain is like a burning cramp but it goes away as soon as I take the skate off. It still resonates a little bit if I walk around but as soon as I put the skate back on and go out again the pain comes right back quicker than before

Have you tried on the Bauer Fit 3 skates?  Sat in them for awhile?  Walked around? 

Sounds like maybe your arches are being compressed and collapsing.  An insole with proper arch support could help.  But you'll have to experiment to find the solution, which costs money.   

2 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Have you tried on the Bauer Fit 3 skates?  Sat in them for awhile?  Walked around? 

Sounds like maybe your arches are being compressed and collapsing.  An insole with proper arch support could help.  But you'll have to experiment to find the solution, which costs money.   

I’ve tried multiple dr. Scholls, super feet which was picked by a pure hockey employee and just foam padding that I had to cut down. None helped and some made it worse. Actually no insole in my boot felt the best. I haven’t skated since like june or July and just tried yesterday and even with no insole I got the pain. 

11 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

I really think you're wearing skates that are the wrong fit and probably also tying them way too tight

I only tighten them around the ankle and I know I’m in the wrong fit. I’m also in a size too small because of the shop I went to the first time. I’m trying to get new skates but I don’t wanna buy them if just a wide won’t cover the fit and width I need

I'll be honest, it very difficult to make a precise recommendation if you're currently in a shoe that's too short, too narrow, too shallow and we don't know the size that has been recommended to you, or your current shoe size. If you feel it's not too much an invasion of privacy, posting the scan data (if it was done on a scanning machine rather than just a verbal opinion) would be a starting point.

I'm not trying to pooh-pooh your question, but nobody on this page is gonna be able to accurately tell you:

13 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

...if just a wide won’t cover the fit and width I need.

Based on the information we have to go on so far, hence why I suggested that if you can go to a store. As it sounds like your trip to Pure Hockey didn't solve the issues, I think it's worth either trying a different store or different personnel. One thing I've learned is that you do sometimes have to ask the right questions at a store. If you tell the staff that you have arch pain, then they'll give you a footbed, as that's the default solution for that problem in isolation. However if you're experiencing (at a guess) pain throughout the foot due to a combination of the foot being crushed from all directions, as well as possibly blood flow problems from having your feet escaping out the top of the tongues, way over the eyelets, then a footbed wouldn't solve these problems.

The Vapor (pre-FIT system) boot size is the shallowest and narrowest on the market, at least in bauer's catalogue. If you can't get into a store where you are (all non-essential retail is closed where I am as it has been on and off for the past 12 months), I would suggest finding a store that lets you return unsharpened skates/unworn rollers, and just buy a pair that are in the recommended size/width that you've been given when at the shop, with the intent of returning them after lacing up (maybe baking) and just sitting in them for an hour or two. See if any of the pain shows up, make a note of it, and send them back. That way, you can either ask here with more info, or return to the shop and ask more specific questions, getting more specific answers.

• Vapors a size too small hurt

Is a good start, but if you can then add to that with, for example:

• Tacks in an 8EE feel alright but heel doesn't sit right
  • Supreme in Fit 2 still makes arches hurt
  • Nexus D/EE skates (if you can find any) are like swimming in a shoe

THAT will be much more useful for narrowing down recommendations.

Edited by robbjbyoung
Accidentally a couple words
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 8:27 PM, JAY4114 said:

How do I determine what skate width I am?

No one has asked it yet. What's your street shoe size? Do you wear regular width (D) or wide (E or EEE) dress shoes?

2 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

No one has asked it yet. What's your street shoe size? Do you wear regular width (D) or wide (E or EEE) dress shoes?

Normally wider the better for me. I also just like wearing bigger shoes tho. 

On 1/8/2021 at 10:14 AM, JAY4114 said:

I only tighten them around the ankle and I know I’m in the wrong fit. I’m also in a size too small because of the shop I went to the first time. I’m trying to get new skates but I don’t wanna buy them if just a wide won’t cover the fit and width I need

If you know the size for length, buy these in an EE. then stretch them to fit your width. Stretching isn't hard, any shop can do it and if you can't get to a shop you can do it at home with some basic tools from a hardware shop and time. If you want to know more about this just ask or search this forum for my post that shows the tools you need. And if the volume is too shallow you can fix this with eyelet extenders, this is covered by me in another thread in this forum, either make your own or buy them from a shop.

8 hours ago, Vet88 said:

If you know the size for length, buy these in an EE. then stretch them to fit your width. Stretching isn't hard, any shop can do it and if you can't get to a shop you can do it at home with some basic tools from a hardware shop and time. If you want to know more about this just ask or search this forum for my post that shows the tools you need. And if the volume is too shallow you can fix this with eyelet extenders, this is covered by me in another thread in this forum, either make your own or buy them from a shop.

Tried stretching this pair length and width wise. No one makes EE rollerblades for just recreational player and I’m not paying over $1000 for a pair of skates I may not even play in which are the only ones that do come in EE. 

18 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

No one makes EE rollerblades for just recreational player and I’m not paying over $1000 for a pair of skates I may not even play in which are the only ones that do come in EE. 

Well if you do as Kris suggested a couple days ago...

On 1/7/2021 at 7:15 PM, krisdrum said:

Get a used, good condition pair [...] a cheap chassis, wheels, etc. (either separate or from a donor pair of skates) and transfer the chassis to the ice boot.

You'll find that lots of ice skate boots are made in all sizes and widths, and you can then sell the lower portion (holder and blade) of the skates. You'll likely find people that want replacement holders for their own ice skates and the rollers on the bottom of your current boots will likely be transferable. The size of roller holder is the same for many sizes of boot and so you don't have the same issue as with ice holders being a few cm different dependant on boot size.

On 1/7/2021 at 7:15 PM, krisdrum said:

You can do the work yourself with a drill, some bolts and a screwdriver.

OR you can take the two parts to any hockey shop and they should have the tools and expertise to do it.

This won't cost a thousand dollars.

2 hours ago, robbjbyoung said:

Well if you do as Kris suggested a couple days ago...

You'll find that lots of ice skate boots are made in all sizes and widths, and you can then sell the lower portion (holder and blade) of the skates. You'll likely find people that want replacement holders for their own ice skates and the rollers on the bottom of your current boots will likely be transferable. The size of roller holder is the same for many sizes of boot and so you don't have the same issue as with ice holders being a few cm different dependant on boot size.

OR you can take the two parts to any hockey shop and they should have the tools and expertise to do it.

This won't cost a thousand dollars.

Exactly.  A few months ago I picked up a pair of used, excellent condition Nexus 2700 skates on SLS for $60 shipped.  Granted I wear a junior size, so all my gear is inherently cheaper, but still.  I already had a roller chassis, wheels, and bearing from my last conversion, but with a bit of luck and shopping around, especially the used market, I'd guess you could grab those for maybe $150.  Then either spend $50 to have your local shop mount the chassis on the boot, or do it yourself with some simple tools and hardware.  There are a few good videos on YouTube that give step by step instructions.  Now you have a nicer boot than your average cheap rollers and a boot that fits you well,for about $250. 

If you are coming out as a Fit 3 on the Bauer scanner, maybe get scanned again and dig alittle deeper into the data.  See if you and the staff can figure out why you are a Fit 3.  Is it width, depth, both?  Try on some boots.  Maybe they have some older Nexus or Supreme before the switch to the new fit system to try on.  With a bit of research and try-on, I bet you can get a decent fit for a decent price.   

If all you want to do is walk into a store, pick something off the shelf and walk out, you are likely out of luck. 

Edited by krisdrum
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, krisdrum said:

Exactly.  A few months ago I picked up a pair of used, excellent condition Nexus 2700 skates on SLS for $60 shipped.  I already had a roller chassis, wheels, and bearing from my last conversion, but with a bit of luck and shopping around, especially the used market, I'd guess you could grab those for maybe $150.  Then either spend $50 to have your local shop mount the chassis on the boot, or do it yourself with some simple tools and hardware.  There are a few good videos on YouTube that give step by step instructions.  Now you have a nicer boot than your average cheap rollers and a boot that fits you well,for about $250. 

If you are coming out as a Fit 3 on the Bauer scanner, maybe get scanned again and dig alittle deeper into the data.  See if you and the staff can figure out why you are a Fit 3.  Is it width, depth, both?  Try on some boots.  Maybe they have some older Nexus or Supreme before the switch to the new fit system to try on.  With a bit of research and try-on, I bet you can get a decent fit for a decent price.   

Alright. I looked on SLS and I saw some decent prices. The only roller conversion was like $400 because of the chassis. 

2 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

Alright. I looked on SLS and I saw some decent prices. The only roller conversion was like $400 because of the chassis. 

DIY my friend.  I updated my post as you were typing yours.  If you are looking for a simple solution via retail/off-the-shelf, you are probably out of luck. What size skate do you measure out for?

Edited by krisdrum

The True TF7 rollerhockey skate is on the market. In regular size and wide. The regular TF7 iceskate has a little more volume, is some mm´s longer and has a little bit wider forefoot than the Supreme 180.