Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Interference? Slashing? Penalty shot? You make the call.

Since the slash was from behind it probably should have been a penalty shot, but I am guessing just a slash was called. The last thing a ref in beer league wants is to spend time setting up a penalty shot (unless it's a running clock). If it was an obvious clear cut breakaway they would be forced to call it, but the player just got ahead for a split second before the stick was hacked.

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

Really hard to tell from video.  I was trying to watch the ref and when the arm went up.  Looks like in close to the goalie the blue D stick lifts from underneath, not coming down from on top.  I do see what looks like a potential slash a bit earlier, as white F is about to be engaged by the second blue D.  But the ref doesn't look like he puts his hand up for a few more seconds.  So either delayed call or that wasn't the infraction.  I don't see anything that would make me call a penalty shot. 

The ref's arm doesn't go up until the stick lift so I'm guessing he felt the defender's stick got on the hands. Nothing there that would warrant a penalty shot. After going through it a few times, I'm not even sure the stick did get on the hands for the stick lift. That could have potentially just been a good recovery by the defense.

Not an interference. The guy was in possession of the puck.

As for slashing, after the puck handler crosses the blue line, the defenseman looks like he made a slash. There are two other times after that where the defenseman has his stick near the puck handler but they don't look like slashes and it appears he is trying to go after the puck. Lifting the stick while the opposing player is in possession is not a penalty.

Aside from that, why didn't 20 stay in front of the puck handler? It's not like there was a possible pass play. 

2 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Not an interference. The guy was in possession of the puck.

As for slashing, after the puck handler crosses the blue line, the defenseman looks like he made a slash. There are two other times after that where the defenseman has his stick near the puck handler but they don't look like slashes and it appears he is trying to go after the puck. Lifting the stick while the opposing player is in possession is not a penalty.

Aside from that, why didn't 20 stay in front of the puck handler? It's not like there was a possible pass play. 

You dont think the first defensemen, on the boards, change his lane and foot speed in an attempt to play the body and take away the lane, after the puck had been chipped up the boards? 

6 hours ago, chippa13 said:

The ref's arm doesn't go up until the stick lift so I'm guessing he felt the defender's stick got on the hands. Nothing there that would warrant a penalty shot. After going through it a few times, I'm not even sure the stick did get on the hands for the stick lift. That could have potentially just been a good recovery by the defense.

The stick did get into the hands multiple times. Its really hard to tell with this low quality video trash. 

8 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Really hard to tell from video.  I was trying to watch the ref and when the arm went up.  Looks like in close to the goalie the blue D stick lifts from underneath, not coming down from on top.  I do see what looks like a potential slash a bit earlier, as white F is about to be engaged by the second blue D.  But the ref doesn't look like he puts his hand up for a few more seconds.  So either delayed call or that wasn't the infraction.  I don't see anything that would make me call a penalty shot. 

Slashing someones hands doesn't always have to occur from top down as it can come from underneath if you get the players hands and not the stick. 

6 hours ago, chippa13 said:

The stick did in fact get the hands on multiple occasions. I don't think it was intentional, he just had poor control of his stick. 

11 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

You dont think the first defensemen, on the boards, change his lane and foot speed in an attempt to play the body and take away the lane, after the puck had been chipped up the boards? 

The stick did get into the hands multiple times. Its really hard to tell with this low quality video trash. 

20 is playing right defense. The other guy on left defense got burned. But, he's the guy who it appears to have made a slash. So, if 20 is the only guy between the attacker and the goalie (after skating by the left defenseman), he should have turned around and skated backwards. Why he played with his back to the puck while the attacker crossed the blue line, I don't know. I see he can skate backwards later on.

I don't think it's interference.  The defender didn't change his lane, he was playing the rub on the boards the whole time.  He went stick on puck, the puck got chipped by, so he just kept skating.  It's a good defensive angle.  If he would have leaned on you or pinned you, then sure.  But all he did was rub and then kept his feet moving.  There's definitely a slash coming over the blue line.  May have gotten the hands or stick, but it definitely got the shins, and then it looked like he turned the blade over and tried to hook/trip the legs.  Right before the shot, it's a hook more than a slash as it was more of a reach than a chop.  But it's still a minor either way.  I don't think it's a penalty shot as you weren't really in the clear and it looked like you did get a scoring chance off.

On 1/13/2021 at 11:14 AM, caveman27 said:

20 is playing right defense. The other guy on left defense got burned. But, he's the guy who it appears to have made a slash. So, if 20 is the only guy between the attacker and the goalie (after skating by the left defenseman), he should have turned around and skated backwards. Why he played with his back to the puck while the attacker crossed the blue line, I don't know. I see he can skate backwards later on.

20 really bows it by committing to the loose puck on the chip, but not skating hard to get it.  I don't know if he thought the LD was going to completely stop the forward's progress, or he was afraid to crash into the boards or ref.  But 20 takes 3 strides to get to the loose puck and then glides the rest of the way letting the forward get there first.  If he's going to commit then he has to get the puck.

On 1/11/2021 at 11:04 PM, PBH said:

Interference? Slashing? Penalty shot? You make the call.

https://streamable.com/6cbiif

My apologies for the TERRIBLE Live Barn quality. 

Aside from the possible penalty, it's interesting that no one on the white team is hustling to be a part of the breakaway. There's always an opportunity to get open for a pass, put more pressure on the goalie/defense, pick up a rebound, pick up the puck if the puck carrier loses control, etc.

3 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Aside from the possible penalty, it's interesting that no one on the white team is hustling to be a part of the breakaway. There's always an opportunity to get open for a pass, put more pressure on the goalie/defense, pick up a rebound, pick up the puck if the puck carrier loses control, etc.

Thats pretty typical for this group. I sub for them occasionally and 99% of the time I have to do all of the heavy lifting. 

• Thanks 1