Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorBarDownski

Skates for 4 year old

Thinking back to when my son was that age, it is a bit of a crap shoot.  There is only so much even the best fitters can "test" for and unfortunately kids that young usually aren't very good at articulating what they are feeling (I feel space here, here is too tight), so the feedback a fitter is used to is not reliable or available. 

Early on we sourced skates via the used market based on his foot length.  It was a bit trial and error for awhile.  As he got older, it was easier to narrow in on problem areas with the fit and solve for those.  Now (he is 10) we have him pretty locked in and when we do try something outside what he is used to, he can tell me almost immediately whether he thinks it will work or not.   

• Like 1

https://jacksonskate.com/collections/jackson-ultima-outfits/products/softec-sport-men-v0

we used to sell a ton of these to kids learning to skate. It’s an easier transition from shoes to these to skates in my opinion. It’s less important to be hockey specific, focus first on skating, balance, and comfort on the ice. They also resell, and hand me down very well. They have a reasonably reliable size guide on the site, and I think you may even find these at Dicks as well

• Like 2

Measure his feet or the length of the insole of a well-fitting shoe. Or use a cheap kids foot gauge in mm. And then trial and error. Variable size skates are fine for getting started. If  you want hockey skates you should buy more flexible entry level skates. You can buy the skates a little longer, but there shouldn't be more space behind his heel than a normal adult finger when his toes touch the front.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

https://jacksonskate.com/collections/jackson-ultima-outfits/products/softec-sport-men-v0

we used to sell a ton of these to kids learning to skate. It’s an easier transition from shoes to these to skates in my opinion. It’s less important to be hockey specific, focus first on skating, balance, and comfort on the ice. They also resell, and hand me down very well. They have a reasonably reliable size guide on the site, and I think you may even find these at Dicks as well

I really like this suggestion. 

Hey guys luckily source for sports happened to be open they did the kid’s measurements and fitting curb side. They did a great job. We went with ccm tacks, cute little skates lol. He was so excited  and his feet weren’t hurting at all on the ice. I started him out with those skate helpers that you hold onto for balance and push around. Halfway through the session he kept pushing the thing away because he wanted to skate on his own lol he was arguing with me so the only way was to let him find out himself. Fell on his bum 😂 He has a helmet,shin and elbow pads so far next thing will be jockstrap and pants. 

• Like 2

From a guy who had a 2 year old start skating and then migrate, don’t rush into the hockey gear.  Let them deal with finding their balance and stride as unencumbered as they can be.  Knee pads and elbow pads (scooter stuff) under a snowsuit worked wonders for mobility and cushioning.  Then, when they’re all bulked up, everything will be a lot easier.

28 minutes ago, JV23 said:

From a guy who had a 2 year old start skating and then migrate, don’t rush into the hockey gear.  Let them deal with finding their balance and stride as unencumbered as they can be.  Knee pads and elbow pads (scooter stuff) under a snowsuit worked wonders for mobility and cushioning.  Then, when they’re all bulked up, everything will be a lot easier.

It’s too late he has it all. Just want to keep him protected accidents happen 

I used to hold the hood or some other part of their winter coat in a way that they didn't know I had it (because they wanted no help!) but i could still pull the slack and stop them if they were going down hard.  Fun times!

5 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

I used to hold the hood or some other part of their winter coat in a way that they didn't know I had it (because they wanted no help!) but i could still pull the slack and stop them if they were going down hard.  Fun times!

That’s actually a good idea.. u refreshed my memory ive read somewhere a long time ago about a harness kind of thing ..