Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
CaptainCharisma

XCBlade runners

Has anyone heard of / tried out the XCBlade runner?  

https://shop.xcblade.com/en/about

Looks like the blade flares out in the front and back ends of the runner (like the Flare Skate blade runner), but remains thinner like a traditional blade in the center.

Interesting technology, but it seems like a drastic change and might put your skating mechanics all out of whack.

Also might be a bit complicated on the sharpening/profiling end of things.  

19 minutes ago, CaptainCharisma said:

Looks like the blade flares out in the front and back ends of the runner (like the Flare Skate blade runner), but remains thinner like a traditional blade in the center.

Interesting technology, but it seems like a drastic change and might put your skating mechanics all out of whack.

Looks interesting. I have never seen these before. I sent them an email asking for more info. Sharpening them would likely be the same as Flare or any other unique steel. 

2 hours ago, CaptainCharisma said:

Interesting. The only issue I see is honing the sides after a sharpening. I guess you could rub a honing stone on the side in the parallel areas, but you might ruin the sharpening on the flared edges.

13 hours ago, CaptainCharisma said:

It really isn’t a drastic change at all, I’ve been experimenting on sets for 5 years or so. Guys have been using similar blades prior to these being marketed. It was a speed skating concept dating back to the late 90’s. 

there are enough reference points on the steel to align the sharpener, it’s a breeze. A light home with a rubber stone works. 

Edited by Buzz_LightBeer

1 hour ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

It really isn’t a drastic change at all, I’ve been experimenting on sets for 5 years or so. Guys have been using similar blades prior to these being marketed. It was a speed skating concept dating back to the late 90’s. 

there are enough reference points on the steel to align the sharpener, it’s a breeze. A light home with a rubber stone works. 

Any takeaways from the experiments? I imagine this type of blade would enhance cornering and tight turns simply due to the curvature of the blade edge. Seems like it would negatively affect speed/glide though?

Didn’t Flare blades have a non parallel sides ie flared outwards? I think these have a rectangular cross section, but wider/thicker at the front and back. 

This freestyler has reviewed them:

Unfortunately the review isn’t very informative, it lacks depth although he likes them. It’d be interesting to know the min and max blade widths and any issues with Sparx sharpening. 

On 1/18/2021 at 10:09 AM, Leif said:

Didn’t Flare blades have a non parallel sides ie flared outwards? I think these have a rectangular cross section, but wider/thicker at the front and back. 

This freestyler has reviewed them:

Unfortunately the review isn’t very informative, it lacks depth although he likes them. It’d be interesting to know the min and max blade widths and any issues with Sparx sharpening. 

I have a few demo pairs coming in this week to evaluate.

https://shop.xcblade.com/

@Buzz_LightBeer How do they compare to Flare? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CaptainCharisma said:

Have you had the chance to try these out yet PBH?  

I have skated on them about 10 times. They are interesting and feel similar to Flare when it has been profiled. 

I couldn't use as shallow of a hollow on the XC Blade as I usually skate on with Flare, but the overall bite and glide felt comparable. 

I'll add more feedback after I get more time using them. 

• Like 2

Concluding thoughts on these. They are remarkably similar to Flare, not better, not worse. The Flare provides a better angle of attack but as the Flare gets sharpened that attack angle changes where the XC Blade remains constant. Has anyone else tested them? Would love to hear other peoples thoughts and feedback? 

• Thanks 1

I have just tried these blades for the first time. I have to say I expected the 1” ROH on these blades to be quite slippy and I was under the impression it would not hold me very tight however I was quite surprised. The curvature of the blade seems to be done so well that it felt effortless while turning. The fact I could keep a 1” ROH and still have the same stability as a 1/2” on a normal blade was also quite surprising but very effective. I found I was able to gain incredible speed quite effortlessly, especially round corners while doing crossovers. Stopping became considerably easier on all edges, individually and together, in different directions, as expected.( This is of course due to the shallower hollow.)
I found no negative aspects of using these blades. I think I will go down to a 7/8 or a 3/4 ROH (no less) only because I found myself slipping on very small occasions if doing freestyle tricks balancing on 1 edge(specifically hydroglide). For those who don’t do any freestyle tricks then the 1” will be fine and I recommend giving that a try if you get these blades. After using these I do not see myself ever going back to a normal blade. I definitely recommend them. The MC was perfect for me and I believe it will be the best option for most people. Any more curvature I think may be too much.

I have been informed these blades are sharpened the exact same as normal blades  which is great news! The max width on the back of the blades is 4mm for the MC and 5.5mm for the largest curve option. (Standard blades are usually 3mm so you can see how this blade severely differs the larger the curve you go for)

To conclude, I’m very surprised that this lateral dimension curve has been untouched on hockey blades so far. I think this outer curvature is highly innovative and I will not be surprised if it starts being adopted a lot more in the future. Big well done to XC blades for this creation. They have a customer in me for life! 👍🏻

Edited by Wrxnch-
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, smcgreg said:

I've checked both Flare and XCblade websites and don't see options for True.  Does anybody know if there options from either one for True skates? 

There are no options for True. I am unsure if XC blade intend to make any blades for True. It is unlikely without much high demand. If flare has none on their website then they don’t make any for True either.

38 minutes ago, Wrxnch- said:

There are no options for True. I am unsure if XC blade intend to make any blades for True. It is unlikely without much high demand. If flare has none on their website then they don’t make any for True either.

That's what I figured.  Thanks for the response. 

Have you tried Flare as well?  From the comments I've seen, they seem similar.  I'm thinking about these for my son who already skates on 7/8 ROH.   If you went from a 1/2 to 1 in ROH and felt good, he's probably have to go greater than 1".  Which should be fantastic for top end speed.  So, really thinking about trying to give them a try somehow.  Without a true option though, will need to change to a TUUK holder, which I don't really want to do. 

1 minute ago, smcgreg said:

That's what I figured.  Thanks for the response. 

Have you tried Flare as well?  From the comments I've seen, they seem similar.  I'm thinking about these for my son who already skates on 7/8 ROH.   If you went from a 1/2 to 1 in ROH and felt good, he's probably have to go greater than 1".  Which should be fantastic for top end speed.  So, really thinking about trying to give them a try somehow.  Without a true option though, will need to change to a TUUK holder, which I don't really want to do. 

Flare seems like it has similar results but I have not tried them. Flare does not alternate the width of the blade in different areas to create a new curve on the outside, but rather flares the edges out to supposedly create the same affect. I’m unsure whether the outcome is the same with XC and flare as I can only comment on XC performance.

Yes the speed is definitely increased with being able to go to a lower ROH. If he uses 7/8 then perhaps 1” may still be suitable. I personally will most likely go to 7/8” on these XC blades. 
Unfortunately you have to weigh the benefits of buying a new holder and whether the extra blade choices are worth it. I bought new skates and specifically chose Bauer with tuuk holder, it cost me more than going for an alternative option however I was so adamant in trying the XC blades that I felt it was worth it. Their performance definitely confirm it was. For me personally once using these blades I will not go back to a normal shaped blade. The benefits are too great.

So it’s up to you whether the holder switch is worth a shot. 

It seems like one difference is that the flare doesn't have width options.  As you point out, they get to their effect differentlly.  I like the XCblade approach, because it's been well proven in downhill and XC skiing for over a decade, if not longer.  The principle is valid. 

Haha.... my son's a hockey player....  cost really doesn't factor.  You choose which kid's education will get sacrificed down the road 😉  That being said, it appears as though the XCblades are cheaper than the Flares.  So, another advantage. 

We talked about it and he has an old pair of Trues that are the same size that we will likely throw some TUUK holders on for testing purposes.  If testing goes well, then we'll switch his main skates over.  The cost isn't the issue, it's the fact that the rivets start failing much sooner when you switch holders and it becomes a pain more than anything else. 

Thanks for the responses. 

Steve

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, smcgreg said:

It seems like one difference is that the flare doesn't have width options.  As you point out, they get to their effect differentlly.  I like the XCblade approach, because it's been well proven in downhill and XC skiing for over a decade, if not longer.  The principle is valid. 

Haha.... my son's a hockey player....  cost really doesn't factor.  You choose which kid's education will get sacrificed down the road 😉  That being said, it appears as though the XCblades are cheaper than the Flares.  So, another advantage. 

We talked about it and he has an old pair of Trues that are the same size that we will likely throw some TUUK holders on for testing purposes.  If testing goes well, then we'll switch his main skates over.  The cost isn't the issue, it's the fact that the rivets start failing much sooner when you switch holders and it becomes a pain more than anything else. 

Thanks for the responses. 

Steve

Yes if you have the option to test them before making the switch completely then that would be good. What I and others have noticed is there is never any negative effects as a result of using XC blades. Everything is either better or stays the same. So that may provide some peace of mind that it’s unlikely he would be unhappy with the feeling of using them. The MC curve is the smallest curve they have and I highly recommend sticking with. The other curves I can tell just from using MC may be a bit too much, for me at least. 

Sorry to respond to a Youtube post, but, I believe this is an ice hockey form not ice dancing? Does "fancy" skating prove product? Perhaps, on social media? I do know that Flare, Ramonedge and Bladetech ALL have NHL+ credibility...I haven't heard of this brand being used? I totally realize that innovation drives our industry, but, give us some hard proof of concept through long time use?  (Ya I do like to stir a pot)

7 hours ago, JBP said:

Sorry to respond to a Youtube post, but, I believe this is an ice hockey form not ice dancing? Does "fancy" skating prove product? Perhaps, on social media? I do know that Flare, Ramonedge and Bladetech ALL have NHL+ credibility...I haven't heard of this brand being used? I totally realize that innovation drives our industry, but, give us some hard proof of concept through long time use?  (Ya I do like to stir a pot)

Yes there is use within professional hockey in the video here.XC blade Channel a player using XC blades was selected as 32nd for Edmonton oilers in the NHL draft. So we may see them in NHL fairly soon with Reid Schaefer.

you can see multiple players in different leagues around the world using the XC blades. These are still very new and therefore not known by that many people. Like with Reid Schaefer, they may slowly come into the NHL

And that “Fancy” skating certainly tests the blades and prove their capability. If you try some of those moves you will realise the difficulty and appreciate the stability and edge control needed. The original video was posted to show his review of the blades seen as we can not see many reviews of the blades. The 2nd video was to share the promo code for anyone looking to try them. It’s not about focusing on the “dancing” but focusing on his explanation of what he found from using the blades. And the 2nd video you can use the promo code to try them for yourself. The “ice dancing” you may as well watch for entertainment rather than complain about it. 

You are correct. I accept the admoshiment. Should have looked beyond just the one side. As a side note, yes, I wish I had edge control like the video shows and I will move forward to try a pair...appreciate the post.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JBP said:

You are correct. I accept the admoshiment. Should have looked beyond just the one side. As a side note, yes, I wish I had edge control like the video shows and I will move forward to try a pair...appreciate the post.

Yes they are recommended to try out. The blades certainly improve all aspects of skating skills which are quite pertinent to hockey, as well as break dancing on ice 😉

6 hours ago, Wrxnch- said:

Yes there is use within professional hockey in the video here.XC blade Channel a player using XC blades was selected as 32nd for Edmonton oilers in the NHL draft. So we may see them in NHL fairly soon with Reid Schaefer.

you can see multiple players in different leagues around the world using the XC blades. These are still very new and therefore not known by that many people. Like with Reid Schaefer, they may slowly come into the NHL

And that “Fancy” skating certainly tests the blades and prove their capability. If you try some of those moves you will realise the difficulty and appreciate the stability and edge control needed. The original video was posted to show his review of the blades seen as we can not see many reviews of the blades. The 2nd video was to share the promo code for anyone looking to try them. It’s not about focusing on the “dancing” but focusing on his explanation of what he found from using the blades. And the 2nd video you can use the promo code to try them for yourself. The “ice dancing” you may as well watch for entertainment rather than complain about it. 

Adam Fantili is on them as well.  He will be a top 3 draft pick this year and likely in the NHL next season. 

6 hours ago, smcgreg said:

Adam Fantili is on them as well.  He will be a top 3 draft pick this year and likely in the NHL next season. 

Oh nice how do you know he uses them ?