Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Furyan

most ventilated helmet

hey guys

It's pretty hard to dig all the exist topics for a really short question - which is (are) best ventilated helmet(s) nowadays? because of i'm bald, it's really important for me, even more than protection

I used to use mission (forgot the exact model) and resistance (which is EOL) - they were fine both, and tried some modern ccm's like tacks 310 - but the foam inside helmet completely destroys because of sweat very quickly

thanks in advance!

Edited by Furyan

Can you find used versions of the Mission helmets you liked? I don't know details, but if you are just playing non-check adult, I wouldn't be concerned with an older helmet.

I use the Tacks 910 and it breathes very well. Most helmets make me overheat but with the 910 I barely sweat at all. I do want to note that you should also make sure whatever helmet you get fits you properly. A poorly fitting helmet might feel more comfortable but if it's a bad fit it might not properly protect you. 

Watched a collision the other night in a competent low key pick up where player A lost an edge and slid through player B, both guys are good skaters and were moving fast. Player B’s foot hit player A in the head, then player B flew in the air and landed hard on his back then smacked his head. 

Two potential head injuries (both guys are fine) on a fluke play because it was the end of that night. Wear a helmet that fits and works. 

you a trying to mix up different things

hockey is a highly risk game for sure, and everything may by really dangerous

personally, every injure I've got for more than 20years was caused not by tough hits aganst me or such thing

usually it was absolutely unpredictable things like no warm up, long shifts, bad ice condition and MOSTLY BAD LUCK (like you mentioned)

I'm pretty sure that all the modern helmets have an acceptable level of head protection (correct me if i'm wrong), even the amended bauers which are clones of old cooper's helmet which was developed 30-40years ago

regarding the topic - i feel a significantly lack of ventilation (personally for me)

so if i have a choice between a top level protection helmet with low airflow inside and light and ventilated helmet but "litle less protected" - I whould go for last one

Easton e700 are super light and breathable, as are the old stealth s9 and S19 if you can find a new one. 

Edited by Miller55
Autocorrect typo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I use the Tacks 910 and it breathes very well. Most helmets make me overheat but with the 910 I barely sweat at all. I do want to note that you should also make sure whatever helmet you get fits you properly. A poorly fitting helmet might feel more comfortable but if it's a bad fit it might not properly protect you. 

Tacks 310 fits very well for me, but as i mention before the foam starts to rot after 2-3 month of using

Tacks 910 has a same foam? cuz i've never faced such thing during i used ccm resistance, which had a different foam

3 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Easton e700 are super light and breathable, as are the old stealth s9 and S19 if you can find a new one. 

because of easton was aquired by bauer few years ago, probably there is similar model from the current bauer lineup?

8 minutes ago, Furyan said:

because of easton was aquired by bauer few years ago, probably there is similar model from the current bauer lineup?

You would think so, but no, it seems like Bauer has not used that technology in their helmets yet. The most breathable helmet is probably the mission inhaler, and you sound be able to find something on eBay or sideline still

1 hour ago, Furyan said:

Tacks 310 fits very well for me, but as i mention before the foam starts to rot after 2-3 month of using

Tacks 910 has a same foam? cuz i've never faced such thing during i used ccm resistance, which had a different foam

I don't understand how the foam in your helmet rots? The Tacks 310 doesn't use standard VN foam, it uses a multi-density VN foam and has a laminated layer on top.

Can you share a picture of what is wearing out in your helmet specifically? Do you air out your gear? Do you use any anti-bacterial spray on your helmet after you skate? 

The inside of a Tacks 310 is quite durable and breathable since there is a lot of sections where the helmet is not touching your head as opposed to the old-style VN foam helmets.

rs.php?path=C31H-BK1-4.jpg&nw=540

2 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Can you share a picture of what is wearing out in your helmet specifically?

as far as i can see, here is problem with laminated layer

seems like the sweat goes through layer into the foam and starts to rot (you can see sign of this when i'm pressing liner)

all the gear always drying in my garage, so there alot of air to get dry completely

i have no problems with all my gear but only helmet (this is a second i've bought last year)

IMG-1902.jpgIMG-1905.jpgIMG-1904.jpg

4 hours ago, Miller55 said:

You would think so, but no, it seems like Bauer has not used that technology in their helmets yet. The most breathable helmet is probably the mission inhaler, and you sound be able to find something on eBay or sideline still

you mean mission intake

great helmet, but no chances to find new or even used -)

On 1/20/2021 at 2:11 PM, Furyan said:

as far as i can see, here is problem with laminated layer

seems like the sweat goes through layer into the foam and starts to rot (you can see sign of this when i'm pressing liner)

all the gear always drying in my garage, so there alot of air to get dry completely

i have no problems with all my gear but only helmet (this is a second i've bought last year)

IMG-1902.jpgIMG-1905.jpgIMG-1904.jpg

CCM helmets have a 1-year warranty on them so make sure you contact CCM and get a replacement.

You also might want to make a mix of rubbing alcohol, water, and tea tree oil and spray it on your gear and inside your helmet after you skate. I personally use wintergreen rubbing alcohol 45:55 ratio with distilled water and a couple drops of tea tree oil. Use only a very light amount on the helmet inside. Using too much or strong of a solution can damage the foams or the liner. 

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-70-isopropyl-alcohol-with-wintergreen/ID=300400130-product 

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/jason-tea-tree-oil/ID=prod2560683-product 

There are a few guys I skate with that use these disposable liners and they work very well.

https://nosweatco.com/products/hat-liners

I still have Mission Inhaler, I fall in love with😹 I just ordered Easton E400 as a spare. CCM RES 100 seems also to be good ventilated, but I decided for Easton. Now they are for clearance prices. I have Easton one o my skates, elbow and shlouder. But Inhaler is Inhaler.