Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Bane

Cages visor combos (hockey ninja, etc.)

Hi all,

I'm look at getting a cage/visor combo where a replaceable clear is over the eyes and cage is around the rest of the face. There seems to be only Hockey Ninja and Boulder Hockey/Avision ahead. Anyone have any experience with these cages/shields and brands that you can share? 

Thanks,  

I got burned by purchasing Boulder Hockey/Avision ahead. 

I liked the cage well enough but they were full of issues. I had paid extra for faster shipping which took over a month to arrive, they offered a free lens which never showed. When it came time for me to order a replacement lens, I was told that it had been discontinued. I was offered a discount on their new version which was apparently coming out soon, turns out it took over a year from the promise. By then I had cut my losses and moved on to the CCM FV-1 and never looked back.

My friend has a Hockey Ninja one, he finds it a bit heavy. He hasn't changed the visor on it yet though.

Edited by Giltis

31 minutes ago, Giltis said:

I got burned by purchasing Boulder Hockey/Avision ahead. 

I liked the cage well enough but they were full of issues. I had paid extra for faster shipping which took over a month to arrive, they offered a free lens which never showed. When it came time for me to order a replacement lens, I was told that it had been discontinued. I was offered a discount on their new version which was apparently coming out soon, turns out it took over a year from the promise. By then I had cut my losses and moved on to the CCM FV-1 and never looked back.

My friend has a Hockey Ninja one, he finds it a bit heavy. He hasn't changed the visor on it yet though.

FV1 has been fantastic. Doesn't fog and is very durable. I just wish it weighed a little less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

FV1 has been fantastic. Doesn't fog and is very durable. I just wish it weighed a little less.

I just returned the FV1, because I was worried about scratches and having to pay almost $70 again in short order to replace it due to scratches.  How long have you had it and how much do you play? 

45 minutes ago, Bane said:

I just returned the FV1, because I was worried about scratches and having to pay almost $70 again in short order to replace it due to scratches.  How long have you had it and how much do you play? 

Usually 5 games a week and 2-3 scrimmage or drop-in sessions. No issues with fogging or scratches.

Note: I applied a nano-ceramic coating to it that doesn't affect vision, is hydrophobic, and is rated at 9H for hardness. Keep in mind that most commercial ceramic nano-coatings are specifically formulated for specific uses, such as for plastics, leather, clear coat and paint, vinyl wraps, PPF, polycarbonate, and glass. 

Some of them are even used of airplane and helicopter blades to prevent damage from debris, shrapnel, and ice buildup when having to operate at incredibly low temperatures. For example, helicopters and other low altitude rotorcrafts are subject to vaporized salt, UV rays, moisture, temperature extremes, and pollution compounded by factors such as oil, fuel, exhaust fumes, and bird, insect, and other contaminants.

Typical retail coatings do not usually offer this type of versatility. Their formulations are intended to allow users to apply to most exterior materials and do a adequate job with the application and bonding to the surface. 

It does help to have friends who work in aerospace to get access to things like this, but I have been thinking that the retail market for hockey might be something to consider. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

15 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Usually 5 games a week and 2-3 scrimmage or drop-in sessions. No issues with fogging or scratches.

Note: I applied a nano-ceramic coating to it that doesn't affect vision, is hydrophobic, and is rated at 9H for hardness. Keep in mind that most commercial ceramic nano-coatings are specifically formulated for specific uses, such as for plastics, leather, clear coat and paint, vinyl wraps, PPF, polycarbonate, and glass. 

Some of them are even used of airplane and helicopter blades to prevent damage from debris, shrapnel, and ice buildup when having to operate at incredibly low temperatures. For example, helicopters and other low altitude rotorcrafts are subject to vaporized salt, UV rays, moisture, temperature extremes, and pollution compounded by factors such as oil, fuel, exhaust fumes, and bird, insect, and other contaminants.

Typical retail coatings do not usually offer this type of versatility. Their formulations are intended to allow users to apply to most exterior materials and do a adequate job with the application and bonding to the surface. 

It does help to have friends who work in aerospace to get access to things like this, but I have been thinking that the retail market for hockey might be something to consider. 

Ok, you added a coating that makes sense. Unfortunately, that doesn't give an indication for how durable the FV1 would be. Thanks for the information though. 

I've added nothing, I've been playing with it for about a half year's worth (had it for longer, but stopped playing with Covid shutdown), at 3 times a week. No scratches, but I'm not playing full contact either.

Some of you guys should check out Visorguard.  I just put one on my Concept 3 and it's legit.  I had reservations about installation and then after install, with some air bubbles and what not but I'll be damned if the thing didn't cure PERFECTLY as they said it would after a little while.  I was kind of shocked.  Good way to protect your investment.  If it gets scuffed, just pull it off and re-install another one.  They aren't super cheap but I think worth it at $18.  I bought two and I'm still on my first one, although my league suspended play here in MA once the governor put us under a curfew so it's only 5 games old or so.  Very similar to the film you'd put on your phone screens (think Zagg products) or the stacked tear-away films you'd see on helmet visors for Indycar drivers (prior to the 2020 season's new aero-shield).  You can't even tell it's on my Concept 3 and doesn't change the optics at all.  

Edited by gerbe3:16
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Giltis said:

Big OOF on the shipping to Canada

EYWkNEZ.png

That shipping cost for some thin film is ridiculous. They need to find a new shipping company. I can ship a bundle of sticks from AZ to Quebec for less. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

That shipping cost for some thin film is ridiculous. They need to find a new shipping company. I can ship a bundle of sticks from AZ to Quebec for less. 

Honestly just 2x regular international stamp would work I think (~3$ CDN). 

I have the Avision Zero Plus. If you order it be very careful about the size. I'm an adult medium and ordered an "adult" when they were on pre order, back then the ordering details were not clear, the adult size was only for large and x-large helmets. I'm a senior medium so needed to order a "junior", go figure that one out.

So mine is unused, they wouldn't take it back so I'm going to have to try and resell it eventually, I'm so pissed off with it it's just sitting in a corner, grrrrr.... Having never used it I can't comment on how good it's anti fogging capabilities are but I can say this, it's damn heavy. It's like twice the weight of the E700 cage I currently have. A visor and a full cage (Bauer 4800) weighs just a little more than a Zero Plus (460g vs 440g). Given the Bauer cage weighs around 250g and half of the cage is missing in the Zero Plus, there is a lot of weight left in the half cage so the bottom feels really heavy. Weight is the main reason I'm not going to get a replacement.

18 hours ago, Vet88 said:

I have the Avision Zero Plus. If you order it be very careful about the size. I'm an adult medium and ordered an "adult" when they were on pre order, back then the ordering details were not clear, the adult size was only for large and x-large helmets. I'm a senior medium so needed to order a "junior", go figure that one out.

So mine is unused, they wouldn't take it back so I'm going to have to try and resell it eventually, I'm so pissed off with it it's just sitting in a corner, grrrrr.... Having never used it I can't comment on how good it's anti fogging capabilities are but I can say this, it's damn heavy. It's like twice the weight of the E700 cage I currently have. A visor and a full cage (Bauer 4800) weighs just a little more than a Zero Plus (460g vs 440g). Given the Bauer cage weighs around 250g and half of the cage is missing in the Zero Plus, there is a lot of weight left in the half cage so the bottom feels really heavy. Weight is the main reason I'm not going to get a replacement.

Why would they not let you return or exchange it? 

11 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Why would they not let you return or exchange it? 

We can't come to terms over the return. Because it was shipped overseas to me, we couldn't agree on a cost of shipping for a return and replacement. My point to them was that the size options when I ordered at the very early pre ordering stage was misleading and this was their fault. Regardless, they want me to pay full costs there and back (costs will be more than the helmet cost) which really bugs me.

• Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, Vet88 said:

We can't come to terms over the return. Because it was shipped overseas to me, we couldn't agree on a cost of shipping for a return and replacement. My point to them was that the size options when I ordered at the very early pre ordering stage was misleading and this was their fault. Regardless, they want me to pay full costs there and back (costs will be more than the helmet cost) which really bugs me.

I would dispute that with my credit card. I am NEVER an advocate of chargebacks being a business owner myself. However, the way they are handling this is bad. A good business will do whatever is needed to make a customer happy. At the very least, they should sell you a correct sized mask for "cost." 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 11:10 PM, Vet88 said:

I'm curious why the adult size doesn't work on your helmet? I have a medium helmet and I'm using the adult one, it fits just fine. I actually had to move the j clips further down, otherwise it was too tight of a fit and would squeeze my head when it was closed. I only have two complaints about it:

1. Since I had to move the clips down, the chin cup doesn't really sit the most comfortable way and its pretty easy for my chin to slip out.

2. It's pretty heavy.

Other than that, I've had no issues with fogging or anything else. I've taken a few pucks and sticks to the shield, its a little scratched up but I can still see just fine out of it.

9 hours ago, dasuchin said:

I'm curious why the adult size doesn't work on your helmet?

The biggest miss fit is the chin cup, it sits miles away from my chin. Regardless of what I do it will never fit, I tried fitting it on the helmet in every way I possibly could and my chin will never sit in the cup. Comparing it to other Bauer and Easton medium cages I have, there is a significant difference in height, from 1 - 2cms longer depending on the cage. And on my E700, Re-Akt 100 and IMS 11.0 helmets it isn't a good fit, imho they have done something funny with the shape. The 1st 1/3 and the last 1/3 of the cage (where it fits around the helmet) are really narrow meaning I would have to try and bend the heck out of it to get a good fit. When I compare the shape to a E700 cage and a Re-Akt cage this difference is very obvious. However I didn't bother to try and alter this because of the chin cup issue.

If my other medium cages didn't fit then I'd know I have a weird shaped face but it's just this cage that doesn't work.

Your comments are basically the same as mine:- tight on the helmet, chin cup fit and heavy.

Edited by Vet88

9 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

The biggest miss fit is the chin cup, it sits miles away from my chin. Regardless of what I do it will never fit, I tried fitting it on the helmet in every way I possibly could and my chin will never sit in the cup. Comparing it to other Bauer and Easton medium cages I have, there is a significant difference in height, from 1 - 2cms longer depending on the cage. And on my E700, Re-Akt 100 and IMS 11.0 helmets it isn't a good fit, imho they have done something funny with the shape. The 1st 1/3 and the last 1/3 of the cage (where it fits around the helmet) are really narrow meaning I would have to try and bend the heck out of it to get a good fit. When I compare the shape to a E700 cage and a Re-Akt cage this difference is very obvious. However I didn't bother to try and alter this because of the chin cup issue.

If my other medium cages didn't fit then I'd know I have a weird shaped face but it's just this cage that doesn't work.

Yeah I’ve got the same problem with mine. I mentioned the top of it being too narrow and they told me to bend it out, but there’s no way I could get it to be permanently wider. I just deal with my chin not fitting perfectly cause it seems like the best option for a hybrid on the market. As long as I skate with my mouth hanging open then my chin fits in the cup haha. 

I thought about just getting a reakt cage but I really like the vision I get with the hybrid.