Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
EpicvisIons

Bauer Custom Skate issue/runner size

I got a pair of Bauer Vapors customs from their foot scanning . They are slightly shorter then I used to buy off the rack and came with 263mm runners when i've always had 272mm.  Bottom line is it feels less stable like I want to fall backwards and the toe seems to dig into the ice more on full strides. 

Has anyone else had this issue or recommend solutions?  Or is this more of a proper fit that I should spend the time to adjust my skating to?

From the looks of it I'm not so sure a 272 would fit on the skate properly if I were to swap it out. 

26 minutes ago, EpicvisIons said:

I got a pair of Bauer Vapors customs from their foot scanning . They are slightly shorter then I used to buy off the rack and came with 263mm runners when i've always had 272mm.  Bottom line is it feels less stable like I want to fall backwards and the toe seems to dig into the ice more on full strides. 

Has anyone else had this issue or recommend solutions?  Or is this more of a proper fit that I should spend the time to adjust my skating to?

From the looks of it I'm not so sure a 272 would fit on the skate properly if I were to swap it out. 

I am sure you could fit a 272 on the skate. I have put a 272 on skates as small as a size 6.0. Did you ask for a 272 holder? That is an option you could have specified. 

No didn't realize it was an option to specify runner, I was the first person to actually order from them using the scanning tool (Korea), probably should have waited till I got back to the states but I got excited. When I contacted the Bauer reps they said they used the standard size for the skate with the smaller foot.  If you put it on a 6.0 (this is a 6.5 for the left foot and a 7.25 for the right) then I'll take it down to the local shop and give it a go. Thanks for the reply. 

8 minutes ago, EpicvisIons said:

No didn't realize it was an option to specify runner, I was the first person to actually order from them using the scanning tool (Korea), probably should have waited till I got back to the states but I got excited. When I contacted the Bauer reps they said they used the standard size for the skate with the smaller foot.  If you put it on a 6.0 (this is a 6.5 for the left foot and a 7.25 for the right) then I'll take it down to the local shop and give it a go. Thanks for the reply. 

I actually wear a 6.75 left and 7.25 right and 272 fits perfectly fine. They should have no issues. I would ask them to seal the holes first though before they drill new ones. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

Why not try a longer profile before you start drilling holes in a new pair of skates???

I know if done right it's not a problem. If done poorly it can permanently damage the skate and or alter it's life.

• Like 4

On 1/30/2021 at 8:37 AM, stick9 said:

Why not try a longer profile before you start drilling holes in a new pair of skates???

I just wanted to second this. With my current pair of skates, I went down a 1/2 size. At first I thought it was just me and that I would get used to the smaller runners. I couldn't no matter how hard I tried. It just exasperated a bunch of issues I had with my skating. That's when I looked into profiling, and it made a huge difference. Nothing fancy. I just went from the stock profile to a larger one and tweaked until I liked what I was feeling. 

2 hours ago, puckpilot said:

I just wanted to second this. With my current pair of skates, I went down a 1/2 size. At first I thought it was just me and that I would get used to the smaller runners. I couldn't no matter how hard I tried. It just exasperated a bunch of issues I had with my skating. That's when I looked into profiling, and it made a huge difference. Nothing fancy. I just went from the stock profile to a larger one and tweaked until I liked what I was feeling. 

So you didn’t change the holders to the larger one’s? You just changed your profile to the larger radius and you now feel comfortable with the skates?

56 minutes ago, Allu said:

So you didn’t change the holders to the larger one’s? You just changed your profile to the larger radius and you now feel comfortable with the skates?

That's exactly where I'd start.   Profiling can fix a lot of "feel" issues.

On 1/29/2021 at 12:34 PM, EpicvisIons said:

Your blade profile affects the feel of falling backwards. Sounds like negative pitch. You could send the blades to a place that reprofiles blades. You could ask for the same radius but with neutral pitch or aggressive pitch.

8 hours ago, Allu said:

Yep. I did some reading up on profiling, runner sizes, etc. and figured out what I wanted. With some help from here, I chose a simple, larger single radius profile. The results were very positive and as time went on I tweaked things until I zeroed in on what I think is perfect for me.