Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JAY4114

P88 vs P28 vs P92

With mostly all curves going out of retail manufacturing and customs too expensive for most players, I’ve been using a P88 for a while and I think it’s time for a change. I’ve used a w03 for a little while but never really liked it. I’ve heard that it’s pretty different from a standard P92 though. I’ve been really looking into a P28. I mostly play ball hockey and sometimes roller with a puck. I’m not worried about controlling shots with a puck, but being able to shoot everywhere on net with something opened is kind of worrying. How opened is the P28? I’ve seen some threads saying that it’s less opened than a P92 but I’m not sure because I’ve never owned one. Also, companies seem to be listing the P92 as a stick handling curve while the P28 is a quick release curve. I play all positions depending on where I’m needed. I have a good shot which I like to use whenever possible and other than that I normally pass. I rarely try to dangle. I feel like I can’t elevate my shots enough with the P88 all the time. I still need to be able to keep shots low when playing defense though. What are peoples thoughts for curves with a ball? (Sorry for the unnecessary length I’m in AP English rn and have proper essay writing on the brain)

2 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

With mostly all curves going out of retail manufacturing and customs too expensive for most players, I’ve been using a P88 for a while and I think it’s time for a change.

Not sure what you mean by all curves going out of retail manufacturing. All the major brands, Bauer, CCM, Warrior, True, and Sherwood have a variety of non-custom curves for retail sale.

Check out prostockhockey.com for an interesting variety of custom one-off sticks made for pros and semi-pros. Custom may be just the last name is on the stick, but can also be a modified version of an existing curve.

33 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

Not sure what you mean by all curves going out of retail manufacturing. All the major brands, Bauer, CCM, Warrior, True, and Sherwood have a variety of non-custom curves for retail sale.

Check out prostockhockey.com for an interesting variety of custom one-off sticks made for pros and semi-pros. Custom may be just the last name is on the stick, but can also be a modified version of an existing curve.

From what I've seen, there are a few curves offered on the top end sticks beyond just the three listed here, but for mid tier sticks, you're usually picking between 92, 28 and 88.

OP, to answer your question from my experience, the 28 is more open than 92. They both shoot nicely. I prefer the 88 the most of those three, but don't use it because of the rocker which I don't like. I would suggest the 92 for you, and in terms of lifting shots more, it's technique really. I would imagine it would be very hard to keep a ball down with a 28

If you can’t elevate your shots consistently  with a p88, don’t spend money on new sticks and curves, find someone who can coach you for a few hours on how to shoot properly. 

I’m not trying to be condescending, but not getting the puck up consistently, you just need to practice. A new curve might cover that for you, but it’s going to leave some other glaring hole in your game.

Shooting a ball wit a 28 or 92 seems downright wild. I feel like it would fly out of the rink on everything. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, start_today said:

If you can’t elevate your shots consistently  with a p88, don’t spend money on new sticks and curves, find someone who can coach you for a few hours on how to shoot properly. 

I’m not trying to be condescending, but not getting the puck up consistently, you just need to practice. A new curve might cover that for you, but it’s going to leave some other glaring hole in your game.

Shooting a ball wit a 28 or 92 seems downright wild. I feel like it would fly out of the rink on everything. 

I can elevate my shots, just not as high as I need in close. 

7 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Bauer and Ccm have the 3 standard, Bauer has P92M and Ccm has P90TM. Warrior had a good selection but I’ve had bad experiences with their sticks. 

7 hours ago, Miller55 said:

From what I've seen, there are a few curves offered on the top end sticks beyond just the three listed here, but for mid tier sticks, you're usually picking between 92, 28 and 88.

OP, to answer your question from my experience, the 28 is more open than 92. They both shoot nicely. I prefer the 88 the most of those three, but don't use it because of the rocker which I don't like. I would suggest the 92 for you, and in terms of lifting shots more, it's technique really. I would imagine it would be very hard to keep a ball down with a 28

I’ve shot with a tc2 because I’m interested in a marner pro stock since he’s my favorite player. How close is that to a P92 since I’d probably go with Bauer if I went retail. 

1 hour ago, JAY4114 said:

I’ve shot with a tc2 because I’m interested in a marner pro stock since he’s my favorite player. How close is that to a P92 since I’d probably go with Bauer if I went retail. 

It's fairly close, not exact but should be playable for you

@JAY_4114 stick to retail curves even when buying pro stocks. Custom player patterns are hit or miss. 

I'd say go with a P92. Everyone offers one and they are super easy to find. Well, unless you want a bauer p92 with a 5 lie...  The Marner pro stocks I have seen look like P92's, sorry TC2's.

Edited by stick9

23 minutes ago, stick9 said:

@JAY_4114 stick to retail curves even when buying pro stocks. Custom player patterns are hit or miss. 

I'd say go with a P92. Everyone offers one and they are super easy to find. Well, unless you want a bauer p92 with a 5 lie...  The Marner pro stocks I have seen look like P92's, sorry TC2's.

are they the same thing? Or are there differences?

10 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Is the pocket on the p92 as deep as the p88 or is it shallower? I definitely like more curved blades. I used a P40 and hated it. I'm not sure if the P88 is deep but to me it feels like it has a nice pocket and looks like a banana.

Edited by JAY4114

3 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

Is the pocket on the p92 as deep as the p88 or is it shallower? I definitely like more curved blades. I used a P40 and hated it. I'm not sure if the P88 is deep but to me it feels like it has a nice pocket and looks like a banana.

Honestly I'm really bad with this kinda stuff, so maybe someone else can verify, but they are a similar depth, the 88 might feel a bit more curved because it doesn't open up very much.

26 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Honestly I'm really bad with this kinda stuff, so maybe someone else can verify, but they are a similar depth, the 88 might feel a bit more curved because it doesn't open up very much.

I’ve noticed that with the P40 and my w03 that I really need to pay attention so that the ball doesn’t flutter off the toe when I shoot. 

14 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

The w03 is a whole different animal from the p92 imo. It's huge and I find it impossible to use. The

The p29 felt good while I had one for roller but I hear it’s more like a cross between p92 and p88. It felt easier than a tc2. 

7 hours ago, Miller55 said:

It's fairly close, not exact but should be playable for you

It was good for going shelf but I found it hard to shoot low. Especially every time I aimed bottom right I hit the middle of the net. I was also shooting over the net with the extra backstop on top of it from probably around 20-30 ft give or take. Aiming for those magnetic targets that were placed in the corners and high weren’t too easy. Didn’t have long but I took around 50 shots and assumed that should be enough for a decent adjustment 

Edited by JAY4114

On 2/4/2021 at 3:14 AM, start_today said:

I know a lot of people who play ball hockey with a p92 or p28. Actually most of them do compared to people with a p88. 

On 2/4/2021 at 11:21 AM, JAY4114 said:

If you don’t like your P40, I’ll take it off your hands.  It’s my ideal pattern.  Bought a couple P40 Hossa Reckoners the other day. 

9 hours ago, epstud74 said:

If you don’t like your P40, I’ll take it off your hands.  It’s my ideal pattern.  Bought a couple P40 Hossa Reckoners the other day. 

I was trying out my friend’s jetspeed sorry. Do you know about the P92’s depth compared to the P88? Also I’ve seen that the X88 by stx is really similar to the P40. Might wanna look into that one more tho. 

2 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

I was trying out my friend’s jetspeed sorry. Do you know about the P92’s depth compared to the P88?

P92 is slightly shallower than a P88.  Not sure the newer curve charts have depth on them, but some of the older ones do.  P92 is usually a 1/2" depth.  P88 is slightly deeper (1/16) at 9/16".

• Like 1

Keep in mind where the curve is on the blade. The 88 is a bigger overall curve but is more gradual over the length of the blade. The 92 curve is more concentrated and will tend to shoot as the bigger curve of the two.

• Like 2

P88 is more of a mid curve than a P92, which is more of a toe curve.  I prefer the P40/P88 when shooting from the dots and back.  

When I think of the P88, I’m more or less thinking of the old Easton Sakic, which I still use.  HockeyMonkey says the Ovechkin P92 is the P88, but I disagree and the P92 is more of a toe kink/curve with the intention of lifting the puck more easily.  I prefer to keep my shots a little lower but I can see why it’s so popular.  

Edited by epstud74

3 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Keep in mind where the curve is on the blade. The 88 is a bigger overall curve but is more gradual over the length of the blade. The 92 curve is more concentrated and will tend to shoot as the bigger curve of the two.

I’m not really sure then. I prefer the feel of the P88 because it doesn’t feel like the ball is sliding off the blade but being launched off the toe. With the P92 sometimes the ball flutters off the blade and goes way off to the side. What does the P28 feel like.