Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JAY4114

P88 vs P28 vs P92

13 hours ago, epstud74 said:

P88 is more of a mid curve than a P92, which is more of a toe curve.  I prefer the P40/P88 when shooting from the dots and back.  

When I think of the P88, I’m more or less thinking of the old Easton Sakic, which I still use.  HockeyMonkey says the Ovechkin P92 is the P88, but I disagree and the P92 is more of a toe kink/curve with the intention of lifting the puck more easily.  I prefer to keep my shots a little lower but I can see why it’s so popular.  

P92 is a heel/mid curve. It opens at the toe but the curve itself is at its slowest rate of change from the middle of the blade to the toe.

Which Easton Sakic are you thinking of because I can’t recall any that resemble a P88?

23 hours ago, epstud74 said:

P88 is more of a mid curve than a P92, which is more of a toe curve.  I prefer the P40/P88 when shooting from the dots and back.  

When I think of the P88, I’m more or less thinking of the old Easton Sakic, which I still use.  HockeyMonkey says the Ovechkin P92 is the P88, but I disagree and the P92 is more of a toe kink/curve with the intention of lifting the puck more easily.  I prefer to keep my shots a little lower but I can see why it’s so popular.  

I think I noticed what I’m feeling just from looking at the blades. I like the “hook” if you could even call it that which the P88 is compared to straightening out towards the toe. The P28 seems to have the hook to it. I looked at the pictures on Bauer’s website. When switching between the 3, the P92 seems to be a lot straighter than the P88 and when I switch from the P88 to the P28, it just seems to get more opened. 

Edited by JAY4114

I saw an interesting observation that Adam Oates had Barzal and McDavid switch to a P92-ish blade to start the season. In the past couple of games they've both switched back to their normal curves. If you take a look at Getty Images at the start of the year you can see that versus the last couple of nights.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JGraz15 said:

I saw an interesting observation that Adam Oates had Barzal and McDavid switch to a P92-ish blade to start the season. In the past couple of games they've both switched back to their normal curves. If you take a look at Getty Images at the start of the year you can see that versus the last couple of nights.

What’s the connection with Oates?

McDavid keeps going back to his IginlaJrMod pattern, and with good reason. He looked like he was playing a league down against the Canadiens last night, weaving through them like drifting pylons.

Edited by flip12

Oates is their skill coach

20 hours ago, flip12 said:

McDavid keeps going back to his IginlaJrMod pattern, and with good reason. He looked like he was playing a league down against the Canadiens last night, weaving through them like drifting pylons.

• Like 1

Longtime P28 user...I switched from a P91 after using a P106 before that.

It's a huge switch from a P88 - stickhandling, backhand sauce/shooting is definitely harder, but I prefer the P28 for puck battles, shooting in tight, etc.

From the thread, I reckon the P92 is what you should go with first.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thorbs said:

Longtime P28 user...I switched from a P91 after using a P106 before that.

It's a huge switch from a P88 - stickhandling, backhand sauce/shooting is definitely harder, but I prefer the P28 for puck battles, shooting in tight, etc.

From the thread, I reckon the P92 is what you should go with first.

Agreed. I went from the P88 to the P46 before ending up with the P28. The P88 is no where close to the P28. The only reason why I ended up with the P28 is that I started shooting from the toe during college haha. And the rest is history.

3 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Agreed. I went from the P88 to the P46 before ending up with the P28. The P88 is no where close to the P28. The only reason why I ended up with the P28 is that I started shooting from the toe during college haha. And the rest is history.

I only thought of the p28 because it hooks more like a p88 than a p92 at least from what I saw from Bauer’s 3D models

1 hour ago, JAY4114 said:

I only thought of the p28 because it hooks more like a p88 than a p92 at least from what I saw from Bauer’s 3D models

Yea, in comparison to the P92, the P88 is more similar to the P28. Never understood people calling the P92 a "toe" curve. Doesn't play like it at all. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

The P92 has a deep enough pocket through the toe where you can still pull and sling it with relative ease.

See: Auston Matthews. 

I agree with this. I would say the P28 and p92 play the most alike, with the p88 as the odd one out. 

20 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Yea, in comparison to the P92, the P88 is more similar to the P28. Never understood people calling the P92 a "toe" curve. Doesn't play like it at all. 

Not even the position of the curve. Just the overall shape minus how opened they are too. 

Biggest challenge moving from P88 to P92 is actually the lie. They are both stamped a lie 6 (in Bauer at least) but the P88 is a lower lie and it's significant enough to take note of.

The solution is to go shorter on your P92 stick length than you would on the P88. This will allow the rest of your mechanics to stay similar without putting just the heel of your P92 on the ice when stick handling. I'd estimate you need to go 1-2" shorter to balance things out, but your mileage may vary.

The other option is to find a lie 5 P92. They aren't so common. Special order from Bauer. I have seen them in Sherwood, I don't know if the standard P92 is a lie 5 in a Sherwood but a couple I've got from a JrA team are lie 5 and they're great.

37 minutes ago, colins said:

Biggest challenge moving from P88 to P92 is actually the lie. They are both stamped a lie 6 (in Bauer at least) but the P88 is a lower lie and it's significant enough to take note of.

The solution is to go shorter on your P92 stick length than you would on the P88. This will allow the rest of your mechanics to stay similar without putting just the heel of your P92 on the ice when stick handling. I'd estimate you need to go 1-2" shorter to balance things out, but your mileage may vary.

The other option is to find a lie 5 P92. They aren't so common. Special order from Bauer. I have seen them in Sherwood, I don't know if the standard P92 is a lie 5 in a Sherwood but a couple I've got from a JrA team are lie 5 and they're great.

The only P92 L5 I've seen readily available at retail has been True, (A5.2 & A6.0).

If you want to stay with the P88 but get some more ability to elevate the puck, especially in close, then CCM's P90TM is your answer.

As a P88 user that has tried P28, P92, P29, and P10 trying to get some more performance out of my shot and stick handling, I can tell you that P90TM is the most natural transition from P88 and did improve my shooting, stick handling, and passing.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 6:02 PM, flip12 said:

Oates is doing skills coaching now.  He does a lot with kids and junior players at my home rink.  But he has had some NHL'ers and NCAA guys down here too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colins said:

31 minutes ago, boo10 said:

The only P92 L5 I've seen readily available at retail has been True, (A5.2 & A6.0).

When I saw some P92 L5s a few years back, they were still higher than the P88. Definitely lower than the P92 L6, but not as low as I expected when considering it as a "5."

58 minutes ago, flip12 said:

When I saw some P92 L5s a few years back, they were still higher than the P88. Definitely lower than the P92 L6, but not as low as I expected when considering it as a "5."

Yep, P92L5 is actually higher than P88 (listed as lie 6).  That probably has to do with the rocker of the blade.

In terms of lie, from low to high P88 ->/= P90TM -> P28 -> P10-> P92L5 -> P29 -> P92.

The ProStockSticks McDavid curve looks like a nice combination of P88 and P92 attributes. 

In my limited experience I like the P88 most.  I think it is a combo of the lie and rocker shape.  I'm short, so the lie allows me to use a slightly longer stick and the more subtle/gradual rocker puts more blade on the ground at all times for me.

The P92 (I have Easton E3s, which I believe are the same), makes it difficult to keep the full blade down due to the lie and aggressive rocker.  I love how easy it is to lift the puck, but I tend to miss the puck a lot more while handling.  I like it better with a shorter stick length, so have toyed with going in that direction, but not sure I want to look like I am using a junior stick that comes up to mid-chest.  I think I would like a P92 5 lie better than the 5.5 or 6 most are.  But as mentioned, nearly impossible to find retail and I'm not convinced it would "solve my problem", so I've been sticking with the P88 for the most part. 

2 hours ago, krisdrum said:

The ProStockSticks McDavid curve looks like a nice combination of P88 and P92 attributes. 

In my limited experience I like the P88 most.  I think it is a combo of the lie and rocker shape.  I'm short, so the lie allows me to use a slightly longer stick and the more subtle/gradual rocker puts more blade on the ground at all times for me.

The P92 (I have Easton E3s, which I believe are the same), makes it difficult to keep the full blade down due to the lie and aggressive rocker.  I love how easy it is to lift the puck, but I tend to miss the puck a lot more while handling.  I like it better with a shorter stick length, so have toyed with going in that direction, but not sure I want to look like I am using a junior stick that comes up to mid-chest.  I think I would like a P92 5 lie better than the 5.5 or 6 most are.  But as mentioned, nearly impossible to find retail and I'm not convinced it would "solve my problem", so I've been sticking with the P88 for the most part. 

True offers a 5 lie P92 at retail, TC2.5, CCM and Warrior both offer something similar to the 92 with a 5-ish lie.

11 minutes ago, stick9 said:

True offers a 5 lie P92 at retail, TC2.5, CCM and Warrior both offer something similar to the 92 with a 5-ish lie.

Yeah, the TC2.5s don't show up that often at a price I am willing to pay.  Maybe one day. 

5 hours ago, krisdrum said:

I'm really interested in trying it, but they're never in stock and I'm not trying to order 6 custom sticks at close to a grand for a curve I've never tried before

On 2/18/2021 at 12:39 PM, psulion22 said:

If you want to stay with the P88 but get some more ability to elevate the puck, especially in close, then CCM's P90TM is your answer.

As a P88 user that has tried P28, P92, P29, and P10 trying to get some more performance out of my shot and stick handling, I can tell you that P90TM is the most natural transition from P88 and did improve my shooting, stick handling, and passing.

Do you still recommend this?