Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
skyscrape

CCM stick fitting facility questions

I know things probably slowed down a bit over the past year. 

But...I just watched a Coach Jeremy video where he basically went through the hockey equivalent of a golf club fitting. iPads, sensors on pucks and sticks.  

I used to work at a golf pro shop and fit clubs, so this definitely peaked my interest

How do you locate them?

I am south of Nashville now and I know the rinks I have visited do not have this tech. At least not that I have seen.

I searched this topic, but nothing popped up.   Sorry if this is common knowledge these days  

I've been away from hockey for about 7 years, but got back on the ice a couple weeks back.  

I'm not aware of anyone but Base doing the whole videos, sensors, etc for an individual "stick fitting" where you customize flex, length & curve to an individuals specification (in order to fit their shooting style) at retail level.

There was quite a few stores with the technology at one time, but most of them stopped offering it or don't really support it anymore. It was mostly large hockey stores that had this setup. Smaller shops didnt have the space for the solution or it was too costly. 

My local store has it, but it was super "common sense" if you think about hockey at all.

You grab a specific pre-labelled stick with the markings on it, take a few shots with it and the app figures out the 3 sticks it thinks you should be in. From what I was told, it simply recommends the same sticks people would if you give them information about your playing style.

For example, using me as the example since I did it:
6'3, 220lbs
Defense
not a lot of slapshots, aimed a quick release.

The stick recommended 85 Ribcor as 1st, then 85 Jetspeed as 2nd, then 75 Ribcor as 3rd. Which is what anyone listening to how I play would recommend.

The only thing super helpful with it is if someone is using a stick that is way too stiff, the lack of flex in the stick would help show that off.

Edited by Hills
  • Like 2

While no matter what the setup, you need enough sticks for people to try, which requires a lot of overhead cost, just an indoor shooting setup with some targets and a speed gun would get people closer to where they need to be than going in blind.

8 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

While no matter what the setup, you need enough sticks for people to try, which requires a lot of overhead cost, just an indoor shooting setup with some targets and a speed gun would get people closer to where they need to be than going in blind.

Thanks for the replies guys. 

I agree. A testing facility with a gun would be great. Just to feel the kick and balance of sticks. 

In the golf world people pay big bucks for a good fitting. 🤷