Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
mtn

Skate guards for walking on concrete

TL;DR: Recommend some skate guards for walking on concrete. Cobra holders and SpeedBlade +4.0 holders, if it makes a difference. 

Getting back to hockey around here. Or at least I will be in a few weeks. Without getting into a discussion about the "why", it looks like at least one rink that I'll be at will result in me walking into the rink with my skates already on - and I'm just trying to follow the rules here. I'd been considering getting some for years anyways - as a referee, there are often times that they would come in handy. I don't have a strict budget here, but want something that is good value. If that is $30 for something that is flawless and makes my farts smell like funnel cakes, perfect, I'm in. If they all work basically the same, then the $5 option is where I'll go. I've searched here and on other forums that shall not be named, and haven't been able to find a consensus. I will not be storing my skates in these, I have soakers for that. 

The options as I see them (availability may be an issue for some): 

• The standard plasticky-rubber skate guards. I remember as a kid these kinda worked, but they seemed to fall off often enough that you had to look at your feet with ever single step. 
  • The spring-loaded figure skating standard. I'm not sure that I've ever seen these used on hockey skates. I'm considering grabbing these first, as if they don't work my wife can use them.
  • Step-in Skate guard. I've never seen one of these outside of a google search. I've found 1 review, and it wasn't a good one.
  • Blue Sports Trek skate guard/soaker. These look to me to be a good combo of both soaker and skate guard, but I don't need a combo. If it is the best walking guard, I'm interested
  • Elite Hockey Pro-Skate Walkable Soakers Look like the above, arguably they look a little better/higher quality.
  • SkaBoots. These look really good, though maybe slightly cumbersome to put on? Also, expensive and they don't actually seem to be available anywhere which may actually be a nod to their quality.

So... Did I miss any options? What is recommended? Something else I didn't think about?

Son and I use the Trek. Pretty good balance of both worlds like you mentioned. Velcro closure is nice too. Just make sure it is velcroed properly. Enjoy!

The Treks are pretty good, but my son had some trouble with his, so I tried to rig up some extra velcro to help keep them on, which kinda worked.  I liked the idea, but they could use a closure upgrade.  He ended up walking on the cloth and I could see he was starting to wear through the sides.  We've gone back to the harder plastic "catepillar" guards with the rubber heel strap.  If you position the strap far enough forward on the guard, they are pretty secure. 

3 hours ago, mtn said:

TL;DR: Recommend some skate guards for walking on concrete. Cobra holders and SpeedBlade +4.0 holders, if it makes a difference. 

Getting back to hockey around here. Or at least I will be in a few weeks. Without getting into a discussion about the "why", it looks like at least one rink that I'll be at will result in me walking into the rink with my skates already on - and I'm just trying to follow the rules here. I'd been considering getting some for years anyways - as a referee, there are often times that they would come in handy. I don't have a strict budget here, but want something that is good value. If that is $30 for something that is flawless and makes my farts smell like funnel cakes, perfect, I'm in. If they all work basically the same, then the $5 option is where I'll go. I've searched here and on other forums that shall not be named, and haven't been able to find a consensus. I will not be storing my skates in these, I have soakers for that. 

The options as I see them (availability may be an issue for some): 

• The standard plasticky-rubber skate guards. I remember as a kid these kinda worked, but they seemed to fall off often enough that you had to look at your feet with ever single step. 
  • The spring-loaded figure skating standard. I'm not sure that I've ever seen these used on hockey skates. I'm considering grabbing these first, as if they don't work my wife can use them.
  • Step-in Skate guard. I've never seen one of these outside of a google search. I've found 1 review, and it wasn't a good one.
  • Blue Sports Trek skate guard/soaker. These look to me to be a good combo of both soaker and skate guard, but I don't need a combo. If it is the best walking guard, I'm interested
  • Elite Hockey Pro-Skate Walkable Soakers Look like the above, arguably they look a little better/higher quality.
  • SkaBoots. These look really good, though maybe slightly cumbersome to put on? Also, expensive and they don't actually seem to be available anywhere which may actually be a nod to their quality.

So... Did I miss any options? What is recommended? Something else I didn't think about?

My son and I use the A&R guards similar to the first type you mentioned.  They work very well on concrete/asphalt though they will wear over time.  They're relatively cheap though.

I've seen many a spring loaded guard break.

Never seen the step-in type.

Do not use the walkable soaker types if you're planning on walking outdoors frequently.  I have the Elite ones and they will shift around on you if walking outside a lot.  Also going up hard concrete steps with these are iffy.  For general indoor use, the Elites are great though.

SkaBoots.  They seem great, but everyone I know who has them; they seem clunky and the hardest to get off of all these options.

I’ve had the Elite Walkable soakers for like 10(?) years and love them. I always felt like regular terrycloth soakers ripped through at the toe after a few months. Elasticity is still fine after all this time. These things are tanks. And have treads! Because they are slightly bigger, I never lose them. They don’t get balled up or fall in small spaces.

ive never walked through a parking lot, but have used them for those insane rinks that have concrete floors in locker room bathrooms. They are stable to walk in, and I don’t worry at all about blade damage or the soaker wearing through. I don’t actually walk on them all that much.  

Make sure you are getting the correct ones. Elite makes a soaker that is beefed up compared to normal soakers that is very well made, but I wouldn’t want to walk on a hard surface on them. To me, they both look the same in photos. 

They cost more, but I would have worn through cheaper soakers multiple times by now, and probably lost some. I’d recommend them to anyone who is buying new soakers for any reason. 

———

Fwiw, Boston has a few rinks with “no bags” rules. At one, I’ve been told by staff, they are only enforcing it for kids (not my rules, maybe not logical, just sayin). 

Also have changed in my car at a few places, and walked in in shoes, and put on skates inside. I haven’t seen a rink that forces you to do skates outside. 

10 minutes ago, start_today said:

I haven’t seen a rink that forces you to do skates outside. 

I’m hoping that it is not the case, but would rather be prepared for it than either be told to go home or make a headline. 

Howdy,

I've got a set of Skaboots and used them for a game where I changed in the parking lot...

They're for sure clunky and a bit of a PITA to put on / take off.  I only used them once and I'm sure I'd get better at it & they'd break in a bit, but still... Hard to believe they wouldn't remain clunky and a bit of a PITA.  On the plus side... I think you could walk forever in them with no damage to anything.  There's a heck of a lot of rubber surrounding your blade.

That said.. The idea of a soaker with a bottom that could be walked on for a while on concrete / asphalt without destroying itself and which would protect the blade seems like it would be a better solution.

Mark

I think with the soaker type, blade size is a factor.  My son is on the lower side of the junior size range.  He has a lot more wiggle room in the Treks than I do (I wear a 5 skate).  I definitely feel like a tighter fit is key to those performing their best.  With the more rigid plastic type guards they can be more accurately adjusted for a tight fit so they don't move around on you while walking. 

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I've got a set of Skaboots and used them for a game where I changed in the parking lot...

They're for sure clunky and a bit of a PITA to put on / take off.  I only used them once and I'm sure I'd get better at it & they'd break in a bit, but still... Hard to believe they wouldn't remain clunky and a bit of a PITA.  On the plus side... I think you could walk forever in them with no damage to anything.  There's a heck of a lot of rubber surrounding your blade.

That said.. The idea of a soaker with a bottom that could be walked on for a while on concrete / asphalt without destroying itself and which would protect the blade seems like it would be a better solution.

Mark

I have the Elite walkable soakers, which are pretty similar to the Treks.  They are great soakers, but like I previously said, from experience, if you're walking outside a lot, and you need to negotiate uneven ground, rocky dirt, and/or stairs/curbs, they're not as stable as the hard plastic ones you strap on.  They move around some inside the soaker.  For flat, even surfaces, they work great.  I would recommend the plastic ones with the heel strap.  When properly fitted, those suckers stay on very well.

• Like 3

These https://rollergard.com/

Don't laugh, a number of refs at our local rinks use them, they reckon they are the best thing since sliced bread. I have a pair of spring loaded guards but tried these and whilst I won't claim they are the best thing ever, they were pretty good. Now you do need to know how to roller a little bit in them but they stay on and get you easily from point A to point B. 

36 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Don't laugh, a number of refs at our local rinks use them, they reckon they are the best thing since sliced bread. I have a pair of spring loaded guards but tried these and whilst I won't claim they are the best thing ever, they were pretty good. Now you do need to know how to roller a little bit in them but they stay on and get you easily from point A to point B. 

Sorry, I laughed

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Vet88 said:

I see tons of kids wearing these to the rink these days.  Can't say I've seen an adult in them though.

• Like 1

Yeah, the rollergards are very popular with the say 12 and under crowd around here, but I haven't even seen any bigger kids, let alone adults wearing them. That doesn't mean they can't and I wouldn't say anything if they did; whatever works. With that said, they'd probably garner a few looks and comments from some people. 

Edited by althoma1

Yeah, they seem perfect for what Datsyuk used them for; travelling a long distance off ice with skates on. O'Reilly may have had a ways to go from the dressing room to where he had to stand for the media (or whatever reason he was there; looks like a media setup though). I can see the merits of the product and don't knock anyone for using them; it's just something I've only seen younger players use in person. Obviously adults can and have used them.

One concern for me with outdoor use would be how often you'd have to replace the wheels as they're ground up by the asphalt (I'm not sure how hard the wheels are). Indoors on rubber mats or other smooth surfaces that wouldn't be a worry. Plus, $60 for a pair of skate guards is quite a bit. 

Edited by althoma1

40 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Yeah, they seem perfect for what Datsyuk used them for; travelling a long distance off ice with skates on. O'Reilly may have had a ways to go from the dressing room to where he had to stand for the media (or whatever reason he was there; looks like a media setup though). I can see the merits of the product and don't knock anyone for using them; it's just something I've only seen younger players use in person. Obviously adults can and have used them.

One concern for me with outdoor use would be how often you'd have to replace the wheels as they're ground up by the asphalt (I'm not sure how hard the wheels are). Indoors on rubber mats or other smooth surfaces that wouldn't be a worry. Plus, $60 for a pair of skate guards is quite a bit. 

Yep, they would be pretty useless for crossing parking lots in a Canadian winter.  And $60 is ridiculous.  My "bender" comment was more about the ridiculous things kids will pick to chirp about, not your post.

I think I might experiment to see if I can come up with a Red Green solution.  Maybe soakers stuffed with pipe insulation, or something goofy like that.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 4:51 PM, boo10 said:

I think I might experiment to see if I can come up with a Red Green solution.  Maybe soakers stuffed with pipe insulation, or something goofy like that.

Hold on, let me go buy the hardware out of duct tape.

• Haha 1

Rollergard also sells them without the wheels.  Believe they call them "Supergards".  Just picked up the spring-loaded ones.  The standard catepillar plastic guards were slipping off too often for my son.  If he stepped too hard on his heel, they would pop off. 

I can whole heartedly vouch for the Ska-Boots.  My 2010s have been using them much of this season (after waiting on a late summer back-order) as they typically get dressed at home (skates included) or in the parking lot if we go to the rink directly form school.  The parking lot at our rink is not the best designed and it's no exaggeration about a 600ft walk from the car to the entrance.  From that point it's another 600-700ft around and then over the speed skating rink to get to the hockey rink.  To leave the building it's a good 1400ft just to get to the exit (you have to walk the long way around the track).  From there it's another 600-700ft back to the car.  This past week with all the snow the Ska-boots were invaluable, especially when compared to the goofy rollerblade guards most of the kids have.

My youngest (a 2013 and a 2015) are using A&R hard guards because we were being cheap...  They do the same walk.  It can be tough for the five year old on the really narrow, hard rubber guards.  Looks like we need to make another order.

Ska-Boots could make a killing here in Europe, assuming these crazy lockdowns continue.  I have people asking me where we got them all the time.  Fortunately, I have access to the US postal system at domestic rates so we were able to order and skip the international shipping and import taxes.

15 hours ago, start_today said:

As someone who grew up with the rise of pop-punk on the radio, i see “Ska Boots” and i think of bright colored Doc Martens with black & white checkered laces.  

That's pretty much what I told me wife when she said, "Hey check these out, everyone back home is buying them.  They look cool."  I seem to recall making a joke about the Bosstones… LOL

On 2/13/2021 at 12:51 PM, althoma1 said:

Yeah, the rollergards are very popular with the say 12 and under crowd around here,

Those must be outlawed in some arenas.