Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
wickedslappah

Padded Shirt instead of Shoulder pads for low-level Beer league?

Sorry for the convoluted title. I'm a roller hockey guy and have been playing some ice lately and have not been wearing shoulder pads. It's very low-level, no contact and guys aren't ripping big shots. But I still don't wanna risk it and take a heavy ice hockey puck off the collarbone etc.

Do you think a Padded Shirt would suffice, does anyone else wear this instead of shoulders? If not, are there any really light/low profile options with shoulder pads that won't have me feeling like a linebacker?

Looking for any suggestions, thanks.

Padded shirt will help some. There are pads like the Sherwood 5030s or Eagle Aeros that are pretty low profile. I personally use the Eagles. If I played more competitive level these days I might consider beefing up the protection, but for light rec play they're good. 

• Like 2

I’d worry more about the ice or the boards, especially if the skill is low enough guys have trouble controlling themselves on skates. 
but Verbero still does the Ferrell style shirts and pads

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I’d worry more about the ice or the boards, especially if the skill is low enough guys have trouble controlling themselves on skates. 

This. I can count on one hand the number of pucks I've taken above my chest, but there is no way of counting how many times I've hit the boards, a goalpost, a person or the ice. Most people here will probably agree that most of the damage done these days is self-inflicted lol

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I should've clarified, my skating is beyond that level of wiping out and not being in control on my edges, so those aren't concerns. My only concern is taking a shot or deflected puck up high. 

Appreciate the suggestions so far.

Edited by wickedslappah

Guys in the NHL lose an edge and go into the boards hard on their own, or get tripped and land on their shoulder, or someone else loses and edge and slides into someone else. It’s not so much skating skill as shit happens. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, wickedslappah said:

I should've clarified, my skating is beyond that level of wiping out and not being in control on my edges, so those aren't concerns. My only concern is taking a shot or deflected puck up high. 

It's less about your abilities and more about someone else taking you out, whether intentional or not.  A padded shirt isn't going to offer much protection from anything other than the smallest impacts.  It's better than nothing, but you're not really mitigating your risk of injury very much by wearing one.  It's ultimately up to you to decide how much protection you need.

Edited by boo10
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I play with guys with a strict no bullshit policy but stuff happens.  I wear these Warrior Bentley pads i got at Dunhams for like $25.  Light but enough protection. Got a deflected shot in the chest that left a yellow bruise, would have been much worse without them.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wickedslappah said:

I play with a lot of ex-pro players (NHL, AHL, D1, etc) and a large majority of them wear shoulder pads. I assume because their entire career they always wore protection and to them, it is just normal to wear shoulder pads. I don't think wearing protection is always about a persons ability. I can skate just fine, better than a large majority of people I play with, but there are still times when you are in a foot race to the corner for a puck, shoving one another, and sh!t happens. Sticks get crossed, skates get tangled, whatever, and someone goes into the boards. 

I'm actually more worried about the lower level players than the high-level skaters. High-level players will know when to back off and to let the other person have the puck in a foot race while a lower-level player will go 110% and many times cause the catastrophe. 

Destroyed my collarbone on a breakaway a few years ago. Picked up the puck, wide open just past center ice, and the other player was 5+ lengths behind me. As I closed in on the goalie I stopped striding and the other player kept chasing me down furiously. He then swung his stick from behind into my skates and took out my feet. I fell awkwardly, unable to recover or protect myself, sliding into the goal post and then hit the boards at full speed. I knew immediately that something was wrong when I couldn't pick up my stick. The pain and shock then set in a few moments later. 

Edited by PBH
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, PBH said:

I'm actually more worried about the lower level players than the high-level skaters. High-level players will know when to back off and to let the other person have the puck in a foot race while a lower-level player will go 110% and many times cause the catastrophe. 

This x1000  lower level is full of wanna be tough guys who think Beer League is full contact and that there are scouts watching, it's the worst, I would never play in a lower level without adequate protection.  As you go up and play with more experienced and skilled players it's not as much of an issue... I'd still wear adequate pads since A) I'm old (as much as I hate to admit it) and B) I've already had one shoulder surgery and neither shoulder is really 100%, not worth the risk for me

For lower profile pads, there have been some good suggestions but also check out the STX stuff, they have some lower profile ones in the Surgeon line which are reasonably priced, as well as CCM RBZ/Quicklite/Jetspeed line, they're pretty light and low profile but also protective.

1 hour ago, xstartxtodayx said:

This x1000  lower level is full of wanna be tough guys who think Beer League is full contact and that there are scouts watching, it's the worst, I would never play in a lower level without adequate protection.  As you go up and play with more experienced and skilled players it's not as much of an issue... I'd still wear adequate pads since A) I'm old (as much as I hate to admit it) and B) I've already had one shoulder surgery and neither shoulder is really 100%, not worth the risk for me

For lower profile pads, there have been some good suggestions but also check out the STX stuff, they have some lower profile ones in the Surgeon line which are reasonably priced, as well as CCM RBZ/Quicklite/Jetspeed line, they're pretty light and low profile but also protective.

STX stuff is nice as is the new Bauer Vapor gear too. I personally wear the 2X pro shoulder pads and after they are broken in you don't even notice them. I also skate with some guys that wear lacrosse shoulder pads.

Every single time I am playing and think I will try playing without shoulders next game...  something will happen that makes me glad I was wearing them. Last time was a puck to the ribs, before that it was a shot to the chest... once I got sandwiched between a massive guy that was bigger than me (and I’m bigger than many) and my goalie... me and the goal posts took the brunt of that... I don’t always wear shoulders for drop-in but I always do for league - and am glad for it. 

On 2/15/2021 at 5:14 PM, wickedslappah said:

I coach adults in a learn to play clinic.  Sometimes I have to play in the scrimmage at the end because there aren't enough guys there to fill out the benches.  It's frickin' terrifying.  I do throw on shins and a cage, but no pants, elbows, or shoulders.  I'm constantly worried that one of them is going to be out of control and take me out.  Skating in a league that level would be even worse because you'd have guys skating badly a lot harder with more motivation to make body or stick contact.  I wouldn't be worried about me.  I'd be worried about everyone else.

On 2/15/2021 at 5:14 PM, wickedslappah said:

Depends on the level of risk you are willing to take.

As for the shoulder pad area, I've been hit by the puck, a stick, another player, the ice and the boards. Sometimes, the goalie will punch me in the back with his blocker if I'm screening... it's a thing 😁.  I prefer to wear the full-coverage kind of shoulder pads where there is a lot of padding on the front and back. Basically, I'm less willing to take on risk because I have a day job that pays, so I am not willing to wear the 1970's kind of shoulder pads, or no shoulder pads as some guys do.

Low-level hockey doesn't always mean low speed or low power shots or hits.