Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Bladoww

Modern Outsoles w/ Older Chassis

What up folks. Not sure exactly what to do here, but in short, I have these Sure Grips I want to use on some new Tacks and I'm hitting my head against a wall trying to figure it out. When I'm aligning the chassis heel to the boot heel (using the center point from the original holders), I get what I consider to be a significant overhang on the inside mounting holes. I don't want to move it further to the outside just to mount it because that'll jack up my skating, but I'm worried that if I mount it where it is the rivets/bolts won't get enough bite. You think I should just mount it in the right position regardless of that overhang and maybe epoxy in the gaps???

50950910072_01ce3eb4da_z.jpg

50950909997_2a8a251e9f_z.jpg

50950910052_52054b9b32_z.jpg

Edited by Bladoww

The tacks have a very high heel with a forward pitch and those Sure Grips are probably as flat as they come being from back in the 90's. I'd say if anything you're going to want to put some sort of shim in place before mounting. If you try to mount right to the boot you might distort the chassis. Not sure if you're on instagram but if you are check out @TheSharpShack, they recently mounted a Hummr frame on Super Tacks and you can see what he did. He's also very responsive if you have any questions.

Ah ok I see those... some nice AS3s with the Hummr. Good catch. I have the 9370s so I don't have the composite outsole, but I don't think that will matter much. I may have to shim it then, would be my first but doesn't seem too hard.

As for the Sure Grips I actually thought they were pretty angled. I had some Tour's years ago (which had the Hummr) and I felt like I constantly was going to fall on my ass because they were so flat. 

I'll prob go the Tnut / bolt method for added strength as well...

• Like 1

The sure grips are definitely flat, but the chassis are not what's going to bend. Usually the outsole will flex a bit to compensate, but a shim will definitely help from flexing the outsole too much a causing unnecessary strain. Also, it's hard to be certain from the pictures, but it definitely looks like you have plenty of meat on that outsole to anchor the bolts or rivets or whatever. 

Alright thanks guys. FYI I'm designing some vectored drawings of shims and gonna have them custom cut in carbon fiber and TPU (2 different sets to see what I like more). Will let you know how it goes if anyone's interested.

Edited by Bladoww
  • Like 1

Hey gang so the project has pretty much wrapped up! I received my custom cut shims that I designed myself in Adobe Illustrator. I just had to do carbon fiber, because why not (also got delrin just in case), both at a thickness of 1/8". This also helped create the heel to toe incline that I'm used to. Nice thing is they came out to about $10 bucks each (the delrin was about half that). Due to size restrictions I had to design the carbon fiber shims as one piece (which is why they're joined below), but I just took a Dremel to it. Over-engineered? Probably, but I geek out on this stuff.

51009083031_6ac3a2c949_z.jpg

I designed the shims to use two of the existing ice blade holder holes to act as stabilizers (two screws below). The goal here was to have the shim really be an extension of the boot, not just something slid between the boot heel and the chassis. BTW I'm using Tnuts and panhead hex screws (6/32 which are on par with what rivets weigh).

51009082986_a8189ec105_z.jpg

Chassis mounted, overhang no longer a problem. Super stable with no rocking side to side.

51009185232_3f5416e39a_z.jpg

Old school meets new... H300 now on the 9370s. Took them out for a roll and they're amazing (forgot to get a pic with the wheels on... took them off because I'm getting new RRs that haven't come in yet). Also, while I'm being a mad scientist I'm going to try to run all 688 micro bearings with 608 wheels using Bont bearing adapters. Saves almost 50g per skate... I figure with the heavier chassis I can use less weight elsewhere lol.

51009082886_b267db7e5c_z.jpg

Hope this helps anyone else in a similar bind with shims. Any questions let me know!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Lol micro bearings. Haven't heard that in a while. Reminds me of the old hyper duality wheels

Ikr... or RR MB816s. I dunno I may not do it that now that I think about it. I weighed the whole setup and its slightly more than 9090s.

So glad I'm not the only person doing this.  I got a new pair of Bauer Vapor 3X ice hockey boots and put a chassis off a mid/late 90s Bauer H-9 on them.