Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
krisdrum

Shoulders... in between sizes

I'm 5-6, 180lbs, approx. 40" chest.  Right now have a pair of second hand Supreme NXG shoulders, size medium, that I got after I found some stupid flaw on an old pair of Vapor pads in a small (shoulder caps popped up on me).  Bauer size chart puts me in a small (up to 5-9, and 40" chest).  And in the middle of the chest size for a size medium, but outside the height range.  Pads are comfortable, don't bind or shift around too much.  Not as low profile as I might like, but I have no frame of reference, since growing up never played a sport that required shoulder pads.  I like the pads and know they were top of the line for the time they came out.  Should I look for a size small instead?  Or keep the mediums?  What is more important? Chest size, height range, weight, something else?  Can post some pictures if that helps.  Want to make sure they are keeping me protected and not holding me back. 

Edited by krisdrum

Do they feel like they fit well and not shift around while playing? If so, then you're fine. The way I found out a set was just a hair big was when I started developing skin tags on the side of my neck. Turned out the cap was riding up just enough to cause a gentle rubbing and produce the tags. Once I switched to a better fitting set the tags disappeared.

I think they fit pretty well.  No obvious gaps, no shifting, except maybe a bit up near my collarbones, but everything else is nicely covered and the pads fit pretty snug/contour around my body.  I guess this is what I get for being old and getting into a contact sport... Paranoid. 

I’m between sizes as well in most S-M-L sizing on anything. I essentially need the L length, but M fit. And in most stuff, I’ve found I’m happier in M. For shoulders, an L on me rides up, and I have to pull it down. Buuuuuut, that’s me. 

Does a friend/teammate/acquaintance/tinderhookup have a pair of S you could wear for a game or two? Much easier to decide once you’ve worn both, but it’s also a mindgame because different pads fit differently. 

If the M feel good, stay there. A lot of the differences are negligible, and sounds like you’re mostly concerned because of Bauer’s chart, as opposed to them being uncomfortable. At the end of the day, you gotta go with what’s in your heart and what feels right to you. 

——

My solution would be to buy a pair of S used somewhere, then sell the pair that you don’t want, then buy an upgraded pair because now you know for certain what size you need, and you spend a whole month overthinking selling and reselling and buying and end up in pretty much the same spot, but $150 poorer because you also bought a pair of gloves, because you could get them shipped for free along with the shoulders.  

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, start_today said:

My solution would be to buy a pair of S used somewhere, then sell the pair that you don’t want, then buy an upgraded pair because now you know for certain what size you need, and you spend a whole month overthinking selling and reselling and buying and end up in pretty much the same spot, but $150 poorer because you also bought a pair of gloves, because you could get them shipped for free along with the shoulders.  

Dude... get OUT of my head. 

I was watching a few pair on SLS, but I'm sure my wife would be displeased if I pulled the trigger just to try them on.  Maybe I'll try to sneak off to a shop to give some stuff a try on. 

Edited by krisdrum

Howdy,

Reads to me like you're overthinking it.

If they fit, they fit... Doesn't matter what letter is on the tag and what numbers are on a chart.

When you're playing if you find issues, that's a different story, but play and experience the issues before you try and solve them.

Mark

• Like 2

8 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Reads to me like you're overthinking it.

If they fit, they fit... Doesn't matter what letter is on the tag and what numbers are on a chart.

When you're playing if you find issues, that's a different story, but play and experience the issues before you try and solve them.

Mark

Now you've been talking to my wife...

I am an overthinker, so... exactly what I am doing. 

Been off the ice since the summer.  Hope to get back on by mid-March after I get my 2nd shot.  Once I can get a few skates in, I'll re-assess, but probably just stick with what I have unless there is a clear issue. 

15 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Now you've been talking to my wife...

I am an overthinker, so... exactly what I am doing. 

Been off the ice since the summer.  Hope to get back on by mid-March after I get my 2nd shot.  Once I can get a few skates in, I'll re-assess, but probably just stick with what I have unless there is a clear issue. 

I don’t talk to my wife about hockey gear. It makes things easier. Good luck!

1 hour ago, OldCY said:

I don’t talk to my wife about hockey gear. It makes things easier. Good luck!

My wife just looks at me and says, "How much are you going to lose when you sell those skates?". 🤣

On 2/16/2021 at 5:56 PM, krisdrum said:

I'm 5-6, 180lbs, approx. 40" chest.  Right now have a pair of second hand Supreme NXG shoulders, size medium, that I got after I found some stupid flaw on an old pair of Vapor pads in a small (shoulder caps popped up on me).  Bauer size chart puts me in a small (up to 5-9, and 40" chest).  And in the middle of the chest size for a size medium, but outside the height range.  Pads are comfortable, don't bind or shift around too much.  Not as low profile as I might like, but I have no frame of reference, since growing up never played a sport that required shoulder pads.  I like the pads and know they were top of the line for the time they came out.  Should I look for a size small instead?  Or keep the mediums?  What is more important? Chest size, height range, weight, something else?  Can post some pictures if that helps.  Want to make sure they are keeping me protected and not holding me back. 

Chest size. Height not as important.

Update: Pulled the trigger on a pair of used Supreme 190 pads on SLS.  Didn't even get yelled at by my wife for it.  😉 

Haven't skated in them, but I think they are a much better fit than what I have.  They actually cover my collarbones (I noticed after trying both on back to back that the Mediums really didn't).  I didn't have to crank any of the straps down to make them fit snugly.  Caps sit dead center over my shoulder joints.  My only minor nit is the bicep pads are about as long as I can make them and leave about a 1-2 inch gap open before my elbows start.  I'm not going to be playing in any checking situations, so I feel ok with that gap in protection and if I don't, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to make the straps longer.  I'm sure some of you are playing with way bigger gaps.   

Hope to get back on the ice in the next few weeks, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they feel.  I think they are going to work well.