Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
The Mighty Mite

PAW P1000 Leg Pads

I recently purchased a set of P1000 leg pads from Sara over at PAW. Her leg pads don't get much attention compared to her other protectives, so I thought I'd put together some media/information out there.

Please feel free to ask me any questions about the pads, or critique my mechanics (I think i need to work on keeping my head/shoulders over or in front of my toes).

A video review will be forthcoming.

• Like 3

Looks great. If I lived in the States, I would consider these.

- How do they compare to previous pads that you've used? What's the most similar brand for feel?

- It seems to slide great, what is the material used? How light do they feel?

- When you're in your butterfly, it seems like the pads are over-rotated a bit? Maybe it's the camera angle/lens effect

- How custom is the leg strapping in the back?

1 hour ago, Giltis said:

Looks great. If I lived in the States, I would consider these.

- How do they compare to previous pads that you've used? What's the most similar brand for feel?

- It seems to slide great, what is the material used? How light do they feel?

- When you're in your butterfly, it seems like the pads are over-rotated a bit? Maybe it's the camera angle/lens effect

- How custom is the leg strapping in the back?

1. I have used, in my career (as far as I can remember):

• Sherwood 7000
  • TPS XLite
  • Koho 590
  • Reebok Revoke
  • Vaughn V3
  • Vaughn V5
  • Viper Boa
  • McKenney 895
  • Kenesky K2015

The core of the pad honestly feels quite different than any of these. While they are a double internal break, they are stiffer than the Vaughns and McKenneys, but not as stiff as the Reebok, Koho, or Kenesky. The boot is ultra soft, which I think PAW nailed: it's the best feeling boot of any pad I've used.

My strapping is pretty bespoke, using a snug leg channel w/ a professor strap (see #4 below)

All in all, the closest in feel IMO would actually be the Bauer Vapor 2X which I tried on in store, but never owned or used on ice.

2. The inside sliding surface is white weave. The pads are not ultra light ala Bauer ultrasonic/Warrior, but they are not the heaviest. They balance well, so the weight is certainly quite good in terms of performance.

3. I didn't notice any over-rotation during basic execution (except for that one stretched out kick-save in the video, but that's more my fault).

4. Strapping on the back is pretty custom:

• Professor strap
  • Single inner elastic at calf
  • Single outer elastic for calf wing
  • leather boot strap
  • leather strap at knee block
  • thick shin pillow for additional stability

It also came with an elastic for the knee, but I removed it as I didn't see the need.

Overall result is a pad that has very minimal obstruction at the knee, and hugs the upper calf and shin area.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Giltis said:

Maybe I'm using the wrong term, but if you look at https://imgur.com/a/Kvbhmjv

Your pads seems to be doing _/ rather than _|

It could be a visual exaggeration due to an optical illusion from the black outer roll.

Ah, you mean 'under-rotation', which makes sense because when you made your first comment, my initial response was "over-rotation? if anything the pads under-rotate a bit."

Anyways, yes, you are right, I noticed that a bit too during use. The tapered toe + tighter leg channel fit contributes to this minor under-rotation. Trade off is mobility and feel, but you are correct in that the pad does under-rotate a tad.

Minor, but I'm wondering if for my next set from PAW really pushing for a square toe might be warranted.

• Like 1