Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
pucks_putts

Lightest, Most Form Fitting Gear...

When selecting gear I’ve always leaned towards the more bulky, looser fitting, more protective stuff. For example I have always preferred the Bauer Supreme/Nexus lines over the Vapor stuff. 

Recently I’ve been considering a gear overhaul and wanted peoples opinions on what the lightest, most form fitting, and lowest profile gear is. Trying to go slim and svelte for quickness and mobility. I’m just playing men’s leagues and drop-ins these days so it doesn’t need to be top of the line stuff but still would like decent protection. 

Specifically looking for opinions on SHOULDERS, ELBOWS, PANTSvsGIRDLE, SHINS

I second the UCLP pants. I wear CCM quick lite (or crazy lite, I always forget which one) shoulders from 5-6 years ago. Low profile, moisture wicking, and comfortable as hell 

Edited by Westside
  • Like 1

I mean they are older but the crazy light shoulders are unreal. Prob close to 8 years old now, they don’t absorb water and they seem plenty protective. I went form 11k to these. WOW like wearing nothing. Im not sure much about the FT1 which is the continuation of the line. 

elbows prob vapour or any of the Jetspeed stuff. Or older crazy light. Again, super light stuff. 

pants have been mentioned. The pro stock ones are great. Also girdles are a lighter more form fitting option. Personal preference there. 

shins any of the “sleek” lines like the jetspeed and vapour.  Ones that have less thick of a liner and sit closer to your leg. I wear 7k pro with no liner because they stick out too far with it.

I like the sleek look too. I understand. I feel with the sleek gear it’s plenty protective. Let’s be real, the pros often wear it so it has to be fine. I just never get light weight elbows as I broke mine but for everything else thinner and sleeker the better. 

• Thanks 2

A lot of people seem to like the STX RX3 line for light and form fitting. I have shoulders, shins, and elbows in the 3.1 models and like all of them. I haven’t weighed them, but they don’t feel bulky. Elbow have a three piece design and shoulders have multiple pieces attached to be flexible, and I feel like both of them sit close to my body and articulate with my movements. Shins and elbows have great wrap, and fit well on my skinny limbs. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tucker16 said:

I mean they are older but the crazy light shoulders are unreal. Prob close to 8 years old now, they don’t absorb water and they seem plenty protective. I went form 11k to these. WOW like wearing nothing. Im not sure much about the FT1 which is the continuation of the line. 

elbows prob vapour or any of the Jetspeed stuff. Or older crazy light. Again, super light stuff. 

pants have been mentioned. The pro stock ones are great. Also girdles are a lighter more form fitting option. Personal preference there. 

shins any of the “sleek” lines like the jetspeed and vapour.  Ones that have less thick of a liner and sit closer to your leg. I wear 7k pro with no liner because they stick out too far with it.

I like the sleek look too. I understand. I feel with the sleek gear it’s plenty protective. Let’s be real, the pros often wear it so it has to be fine. I just never get light weight elbows as I broke mine but for everything else thinner and sleeker the better. 

I tried on both the Vapor 1xLite Elbows and Shins but both felt really uncomfortable. The shins especially. Elbows felt like they would probably break in just fine but the shins did not form to my legs at all and actually felt like they stuck out further than my old Supremes. I’m gonna search for some of those CL shoulders! 

24 minutes ago, start_today said:

A lot of people seem to like the STX RX3 line for light and form fitting. I have shoulders, shins, and elbows in the 3.1 models and like all of them. I haven’t weighed them, but they don’t feel bulky. Elbow have a three piece design and shoulders have multiple pieces attached to be flexible, and I feel like both of them sit close to my body and articulate with my movements. Shins and elbows have great wrap, and fit well on my skinny limbs. 

I have heard good things about the RX3 line of protective. I think they have a trial period for 1 piece of gear so I may give that a go. 

Vapor 2X Pro gear is nice but overpriced for what you get. However, if you want the absolutely lightest gear on the market there are very few options available that can compete. STX RX3 shoulders and elbow pads are good. I am not a fan of their pants or shinguards. Vapor 1X Lite gear is also light and can be found for decent pricing. 

If it was me, I would recommend the following, taking into account weight, cost and fitment. 

Shoulder Pads: STX RX3, Bauer Vapor 1X Lite, CCM Crazy Light, Bauer Vapor 2X Pro, CCM FT1

Pants: CCM Crazy Light, Bauer Vapor 1X Lite, Bauer Vapor 2X Pro, CCM FT1

Shin: Bauer Vapor 2X Pro, CCM Crazy Light, CCM FT1, Bauer Vapor 1X Lite

Gloves: Bauer Vapor 1X Lite Pro, CCM Crazy Light, CCM FT1, Bauer Vapor 2X Pro, STX RX3

Elbow Pads: STX RX3, Bauer Vapor 2X Pro, CCM Crazy Light, Bauer Vapor 2X Pro, CCM FT1

Edited by PBH
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pucks_putts said:

I have heard good things about the RX3 line of protective. I think they have a trial period for 1 piece of gear so I may give that a go. 

Believe that only counts for their elite gear.  So if you are looking at the RX3, you are good.  If you are looking at the next level down RX3.1, I don't think the trial period is valid. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pucks_putts said:

I tried on both the Vapor 1xLite Elbows and Shins but both felt really uncomfortable. The shins especially. Elbows felt like they would probably break in just fine but the shins did not form to my legs at all and actually felt like they stuck out further than my old Supremes. I’m gonna search for some of those CL shoulders! 

I’ve never worn Bauer vapour protective forever and I wasn’t a fan either  I jus know it’s their slimmer line that lots of people seem to like the vapour stuff.  I am a CCM/Reebok/jofa protective fan all the way haha. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pucks_putts said:

FWIW, I tried the 1X lite shins when they came out to replace the 1X shins I was using and agree, they were garbage. Was able to find another pair of 1X which are superior (IMO). The 2X Pro is also a step down compared to the 1X in terms of protection and build quality. The 1X may not be lighter than the 1X lite or the 2X pro, but they’re better in most every other way

• Thanks 1

I have both the CL and RBZ shins and they're both light and don't retain moisture, but the RBZ line is more comfortable. The Velcro for the straps are the longterm weak point, but the Velcro could be replaced or you can just use tape or shin tights to keep them in place (I do the latter). The Jetspeeds don't feel as nice as the RBZ to me and aren't as low profile.

For elbows, I stockpiled 2012 Blue and Grey Warrior Projekts, but if I was looking for new pads I would consider Vapor 2X Pros, Warrior Alpha DX, STX Surgeon RX3 or the Jetspeeds based on what I have read. I would definitely lean toward a 3 piece pad.

For shoulders, I love the Verbero Shield pads I have as they're very mobile and modular (I use them without the caps). 2X Pros, RBZ, or FT1 pads would be lighter and more hydrophobic, but I an not sure they would be as mobile as the Shield pads with the caps removed.

I prefer a girdle to pants, but that's personal preference. I use the True XC9 and was deciding between that and the Warrior QRE when I stumbled upon a great deal on the XC9. The pants others have mentioned seem like good choices. 

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

No love for the CCM RBZ line?  RBZ is probably my favorite protective line in recent memory and a lot of that gear is ridiculously light and low profile.  Also think it improved on all the minor problems with the CCM CL series.

IMO the conversation starts and ends with the RBZ and or the CL lines. Not sure about the pants. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

IMO the conversation starts and ends with the RBZ and or the CL lines. Not sure about the pants. 

I once had the RBZ pants, which I had to return under warranty (and was replaced by the QLT).  The RBZ pants fit me incredibly well (almost felt like a girdle), and they were incredibly lightweight.  The only drawback was that they were a little bulky/stiff in the front panels, more than the QLT and FT1.  Well, and on my specific model, the stitching was coming apart...thus why I got them exchanged.  I'm still using RBZ shins, elbows, and shoulders.  Starting to show their age, but still lightweight, low profile, comfortable, and working well.

5 hours ago, althoma1 said:

I have both the CL and RBZ shins and they're both light and don't retain moisture, but the RBZ line is more comfortable. The Velcro for the straps are the longterm weak point, but the Velcro could be replaced or you can just use tape or shin tights to keep them in place (I do the latter). The Jetspeeds don't feel as nice as the RBZ to me and aren't as low profile.

For elbows, I stockpiled 2012 Blue and Grey Warrior Projekts, but if I was looking for new pads I would consider Vapor 2X Pros, Warrior Alpha DX, STX Surgeon RX3 or the Jetspeeds based on what I have read. I would definitely lean toward a 3 piece pad.

For shoulders, I love the Verbero Shield pads I have as they're very mobile and modular (I use them without the caps). 2X Pros, RBZ, or FT1 pads would be lighter and more hydrophobic, but I an not sure they would be as mobile as the Shield pads with the caps removed.

I prefer a girdle to pants, but that's personal preference. I use the True XC9 and was deciding between that and the Warrior QRE when I stumbled upon a great deal on the XC9. The pants others have mentioned seem like good choices. 

Yeah, the RBZ shins are great, but the velcro straps do lose effectiveness over time.  However, that cross strapping design imho is so much better than the new strap designs, so much so, that I don't use tape when using the RBZs.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Yeah, the RBZ shins are great, but the velcro straps do lose effectiveness over time.  However, that cross strapping design imho is so much better than the new strap designs, so much so, that I don't use tape when using the RBZs.

The only shins I've ever worn where I really didn't need tape.

I might break mine out again. They were shelved in favor of the Tacks due to the liners wearing away around the knee caps. Which was my only real gripe.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stick9 said:

The only shins I've ever worn where I really didn't need tape.

I might break mine out again. They were shelved in favor of the Tacks due to the liners wearing away around the knee caps. Which was my only real gripe.  

Spot on.  The one issue with the RBZ line, is that the liners do wear away fairly quickly over time.

5 hours ago, stick9 said:

I was only selecting gear that would be readily available, hence why I excluded some items.

23 hours ago, Westside said:

FWIW, I tried the 1X lite shins when they came out to replace the 1X shins I was using and agree, they were garbage. Was able to find another pair of 1X which are superior (IMO). The 2X Pro is also a step down compared to the 1X in terms of protection and build quality. The 1X may not be lighter than the 1X lite or the 2X pro, but they’re better in most every other way

You can actually mold the 1X lite shins to make them conform better to your body. Since the shin was primarily based on CURV composite you could apply heat to the facing and mold them better to your ergonomics. I didn't know this was possible until one of my buddies who is an equipment manager showed me such. The biggest issue I have had with most any Bauer shin is the knee cap tends to crack or separate from the rest of the shinguard over time. I had this happen on every pair of Bauer shins I have owned since the first generation 1X protective.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, start_today said:

Is RBZ stuff even remotely available? And  it seemed like people were generally disappointed with the updates to the QLT versus the RBZ.  

They are, but mostly used pro stocks on second hand sites.  Very hard to find new RBZ stuff, except for the skates (which I don't recommend...probably a reason why you can find them).  And yes, the QLT was somewhat a disappointment coming off the RBZ line.  QLT gear is super light and moisture resistant, but made of stiff foams that don't contour that well to the body.  The FT1 line was a good correction to the QLT though.

3 hours ago, PBH said:

I was only selecting gear that would be readily available, hence why I excluded some items.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Your list prompted me to check out the STX shoulders, which I ended up buying. They looked very CL/RBZ like.

As for the availability of RBZ gear. You see some here and there but very hit or miss. Yeah, the QLT was pretty disappointing. Seemed like a cost reduced RBZ line to me. Glad CCM got things back on track with the FT1.

4 hours ago, PBH said:

You can actually mold the 1X lite shins to make them conform better to your body. Since the shin was primarily based on CURV composite you could apply heat to the facing and mold them better to your ergonomics. I didn't know this was possible until one of my buddies who is an equipment manager showed me such. The biggest issue I have had with most any Bauer shin is the knee cap tends to crack or separate from the rest of the shinguard over time. I had this happen on every pair of Bauer shins I have owned since the first generation 1X protective.

Wow, I had no idea you could do that. Ah well, I’m happy with the 1x. Funny, the cracked knee caps was why I stayed away from CCM shins 

I got my STX RX3 shoulders last night. They certainly are light and form fitting. With the exception of the bicep guards, the overall bulk of the pad doesn’t seem to be any more or less bulky than my Stealth CX7.0’s. They look to be a decent set of shoulders for the money. The 14 day trial and price was enough to get me to give them a go. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Old school Stealth shouldies... Easton RG Camo are amazingly light and form-fitting.  Super light but more than anything, super form-fitting.  They don't move much at all while I'm playing.  That being said, they run warm simply because of how snug they are - it's the only downside to these things.  I get quite warm with them on and a heavier sweater over them.  I think the tag considered them something like Stealth C7.5 as they had some upgrades over the Stealth C7.0 (namely the Pro version of the straps I believe).

Edited by gerbe3:16
  • Thanks 1