Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
shoot_the_goalie

Skate recommendations for a junior skater

Hey all.  Looking for new skates for my son who is a 5.5D.  He has a narrow heel, but needs pretty high volume as the front of his foot raises fairly high.  Initially I thought Nexus, but seems like the Nexus line has been discontinued.   I know he won't fit into Supremes or Jetspeeds as he's tried those on.  Tacks were ok, but not spot on.   Any suggestions on what to try on next?  I noticed the Vapor and Supreme Fit3 series online (higher volume), but local LHS doesn't have them to try on.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Hey all.  Looking for new skates for my son who is a 5.5D.  He has a narrow heel, but needs pretty high volume as the front of his foot raises fairly high.  Initially I thought Nexus, but seems like the Nexus line has been discontinued.   I know he won't fit into Supremes or Jetspeeds as he's tried those on.  Tacks were ok, but not spot on.   Any suggestions on what to try on next?  I noticed the Vapor and Supreme Fit3 series online (higher volume), but local LHS doesn't have them to try on.  Thanks.

I would look at Ribcor. 

Bauer Fit3 is supposed to be very similar to Nexus in depth but a tighter heel.  I have a similar foot to your son, and the old Nexus heel is a bit too wide on me.  I've made it work for a pair of roller conversions, but not sure I would be happy on ice.  If you can get your hands on the newer Fit3, that might do the trick. 

20 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

He has a narrow heel, but needs pretty high volume as the front of his foot raises fairly high.

Which means there isn't a retail skate out there that will fit his foot off the shelf. You either get volume and a wide heel or a narrow heel and compromise on the volume. I would fit him in Jetspeeds or vapours (pre fit models) or Bauer fit1 and then make / buy eyelet extenders to fix the volume. If you can find anything from the Ribcor 50k range then they would also work for the heel but the 70k range got a lot wider in the heel and the 80k range has continued that.

I would agree with Vet88 on the Ribcore.  I have them and have a similar foot as your son, maybe not as extreme, dunno.  I have skinny, bony feet.  Relatively narrow heel, regular forefoot, high instep.  They are comfortable but literally the two areas I find lacking are the heel and the instep.  Not sloppy in the heel but not locked in.  There’s definitely not a lot of wrap over the mid portion of the lacing for me either and i have to be careful not to overtighten even a bit, and i don’t generally tie my skates tight.  Bottom line on the skate for me is the padding is comfy but that also kind of makes it feel disconnected for me.  I have had them over a year and am looking for alternatives, although not pressing as I am just coaching and won’t play again until summer.

Despite all the recommendations, you will not get around trying the skates on. With the Trues and other highly thermoformable skates, the real fit will only become apparent after baking, smaller pressure points can usually be bulged out without any problems. How old is your son and with which skates has he already had good experiences?