Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
cmdrkean

Pro stock question

Can someone explain why there are a lot of pro stock stocks for players that don’t use that brand of stick?

for instance there are tons of True AX9 Auston Matthews out there and also some STX. I don’t really understand how these come to exist in any significant quantities other than they are just a clever marketing approach to move some additional volume by stamping the name ?  Maybe equipment deals that didn’t materialize??

just curious more than anything:)

Brands often will make up a bunch of sticks or skates or whatever for a certain player to try to get them to switch brands. They most likely made sticks with Matthews specs to try to get him to use them and take an endorsement deal with True. That's my understand, could be other reasons too

• Like 1

In regards to Matthews, I seem to recall him using True and STX twigs when he wasn't happy with Bauer... he just ended up with CCM.  I would imagine those companies dumped a couple cases of sticks in his pattern and spec on him trying to get him transition over.

12 hours ago, cmdrkean said:

Can someone explain why there are a lot of pro stock stocks for players that don’t use that brand of stick?

for instance there are tons of True AX9 Auston Matthews out there and also some STX. I don’t really understand how these come to exist in any significant quantities other than they are just a clever marketing approach to move some additional volume by stamping the name ?  Maybe equipment deals that didn’t materialize??

just curious more than anything:)

I call them "Demo sticks", basically a batch is made for that particular player to try out, usually around training camp. Often times the player doesn't make a brand switch and now you have this batch of sticks that they won't be using so they often end up on the secondary market and retail market. Our local LHS a few years ago got a pile of True A-series and X-series sticks in for all sorts of NHL players who have never used True before or since. I ended  up with a Tyler Motte A-Series. They were under $200 (at the time in late 2018) and legit A-series and X-series shafts so they were great value. 

• Like 2