Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JAY4114

Steel vs. Aluminum chassis

What is the difference between a steel and aluminum chassis besides being lighter. I'm 170 lbs. Am I going to have issues with flexing and possible bending/warping with a steel chassis? 

The steel chassis is usually a two piece chassis instead of a one piece design. It's the design that's less durable and more prone to bending/breaking. So it's not steel vs. aluminum; it's one piece vs. two piece.

Most low end inline skates have a two piece chassis. You have to jump up to mid-range skates to get a more durable one piece chassis. 

Another option is to buy your chassis of choice (Marsblade R1, Sprung, One Piece Aluminum Hi-Lo ect.) and have it mounted on an ice boot. This gives you more fit options and you can often find good deals on older models of ice boots or just use your old, but good condition ice skates for the conversion and buy new ice skates. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, althoma1 said:

The steel chassis is usually a two piece chassis instead of a one piece design. It's the design that's less durable and more prone to bending/breaking. So it's not steel vs. aluminum; it's one piece vs. two piece.

Most low end inline skates have a two piece chassis. You have to jump up to mid-range skates to get a more durable one piece chassis. 

Another option is to buy your chassis of choice (Marsblade R1, Sprung, One Piece Aluminum Hi-Lo ect.) and have it mounted on an ice boot. This gives you more fit options and you can often find good deals on older models of ice boots or just use your old, but good condition ice skates for the conversion and buy new ice skates. 

I want to get a pair of RSX to try the fit because vapors and tour volts hurt. I heard that volts are narrow like vapors but still a high profile fit. I was going to try true because of their current deal but I can’t bake them and they’re narrow too. My only other option would be mission but they’re a lot more and I may not be able to return them if they hurt.  Should I worry about the two piece chassis bending? The only people that posted reivews saying that theirs bent were over 200 lbs.

Edited by JAY4114

Read through the TF9/TF7 ice skate thread. The ice and inline boots use the same boot. Some key points:

• The True skates fit a half to 3/4 sizes larger than Bauers in the same size after baking
  • They're very thermoformable and the fit changes after baking
  • The Trues in W are some of the widest skates on the market
  • Participating retailers have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee on the Trues. So you could buy them, bake them and try them and if they don't fit or are the wrong size then you can return them for a refund.

Missions are built with the Bauer Supreme last. So are the RX and RSX skates. The difference in sizing will be the width. The RSX come in R; which is slightly wider than a D Supreme, but not as wide as a EE. I'm over 200lbs; so would never consider a skate with a two piece chassis, but you might be OK for a while at low level play if you're lighter. I just don't know if an R RSX would be wide enough if you had width issues in Tours. Personally, I'd try the Trues baked from a shop that is participating in the 30 day satisfaction guarantee and if that doesn't work out then try EE Missions from a place that offers returns on unused skates (just don't use them until you know they fit). 

37 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Read through the TF9/TF7 ice skate thread. The ice and inline boots use the same boot. Some key points:

• The True skates fit a half to 3/4 sizes larger than Bauers in the same size after baking
  • They're very thermoformable and the fit changes after baking
  • The Trues in W are some of the widest skates on the market
  • Participating retailers have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee on the Trues. So you could buy them, bake them and try them and if they don't fit or are the wrong size then you can return them for a refund.

Missions are built with the Bauer Supreme last. So are the RX and RSX skates. The difference in sizing will be the width. The RSX come in R; which is slightly wider than a D Supreme, but not as wide as a EE. I'm over 200lbs; so would never consider a skate with a two piece chassis, but you might be OK for a while at low level play if you're lighter. I just don't know if an R RSX would be wide enough if you had width issues in Tours. Personally, I'd try the Trues baked from a shop that is participating in the 30 day satisfaction guarantee and if that doesn't work out then try EE Missions from a place that offers returns on unused skates (just don't use them until you know they fit). 

I only get the pain from skating so I’d have to use them. My thought was to just use the wheels I have now to test it. I didn’t think I could bake the trues and still try them. 

48 minutes ago, Westside said:

True fits wider and has more volume like Tacks/Supreme/Mission. So if that’s the kind of boot that fits you, the Trues should fit

Are there any that fits like a nexus?

29 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

I only get the pain from skating so I’d have to use them. My thought was to just use the wheels I have now to test it. I didn’t think I could bake the trues and still try them. 

Yeah, with the 30 day offer with select retailers you can bake and use the skates; you just have to return them within 30 days if they don't work for you.

1 minute ago, Miller55 said:

A guy I play with Brent the rsx chassis last season. I doubt he weighs over 165

Ugh that’s not good. I might just get them to see how the boot feels and then return them if I feel it flexing too much.