Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

TRUE Project X stick

We got in our shipment this week of TRUE Project X sticks. This shipment was slightly delayed since I wanted TC2/P92 sticks in a lie 5 and they didn't have all of the options I selected in stock. In the end I decided to have the order held so everything could ship at once. I know there has been a ton of discussions regarding the Project X stick weights among other things so I felt it would be helpful to weigh multiple sticks, various curves, flex, to see what the general numbers look like. 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CMVn1bUA_PQ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I was using this stick when it was a final production prototype and I was very impressed with it. Puck feel, shaft flex, kick point, and release were all excellent. I would say the Project X feels like a blend between a CCM FT3 Pro and a TRUE AX9. The release feels closer to the FT3 Pro, but the blade is stiff like the AX9. I typically prefer a more dampened blade. I wouldn't say its bad, just not exactly what I like. 

The main downside was durability was not great on the final production prototype stick I was using as it broke after about 20 ice times; scrimmage/games. I was told that some last minute changes fixed those issues but I haven't had a chance to test the final product. I plan to take one out Monday, will beat the hell out of it, and post my thoughts and feedback. 🙂 

Edited by PBH
  • Like 2

Nice. I got to try a PXB a while back, Giroux pro which is not my curve (his is like Patty Kane, basically a Bauer P10) but despite that I liked it. I was not overly impressed with the shooting as I think, like you mentioned, the Jetspeed is nicer to shoot. I dont like a super pingy blade, but felt like this was way over the top, even for me. The only other True twig ive used was the old 6.0, so I can't comment on AX9 similarities. I will say that the puck feel was not amazing imo, it shot hard and was easy to load, and it was very light, but did not feel drastically lighter than anything else out there. I considered buying one, but will be traveling a lot in the next couple months and not playing very much.

I picked up a True Project X Pro Stock (Stephane Patry - PXS) in a 75 flex last year around this time. P19-ish curve. 

I was coming from a Retail Jetspeed FT2 which I liked so much I had already purchased a back-up. The day after breaking my first FT2 I came across the Project X pro stock at my LHS and couldn't resist and never cut the back-up FT2. 

Anyways the Project X is the best stick I've ever used. As great as the FT2 is/was, I liked the Project X even more. Great feel, balance and incredible shooter. Outstanding performance.

However,

The very first game I took a slash to the stick down low which made a large chip in the mat finish. I used the stick roughly 3 times a week for about 3 months. Taking a quick snap-shot during warm-up the blade broke clean off right where that slash occurred 3 months prior. 

The Project X falls in line with most True sticks I've used. Performance is great, durability doesn't hold up vs. CCM (I haven't used any Warrior or Bauer in many years). 

• Like 1