Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Robs789

Is it normal for the shop to bake a skate that you are going to try on?

I went in to a shop to try on some new skates. I tried on some As3, as3 pro, and 3s. The guy helping me said the ccm's are too stiff to try on out of the box. So, before I would try on any pair, he would bake them for about 4-5 minutes.

Is this normal for pro shops? Id have to imagine that constantly baking a skate would potentially break down the materials faster?

Edited by Robs789

I've had places warm them a little just to get a better feel for what they'd be like. Not a full on bake. Which would be dumb because you couldn't walk around in them.

It's not so much materials breaking down, it's more the adhesives.

its uncommon, but not problematic. they probably got some demo pairs to use for trying on. the newer ccm tacks can get a good 7 bakes before any breakdown is possible. 

If the customer is serious about purchasing and not wasting my time, or my staff time, I will happily bake the skates for them.  The new store will have a 10x30 synthetic ice sheet in it so they can test out the skates and see if they like them. 

• Like 1