Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
start_today

4500 Comparables

Is there any helmets that fit similar to the 4500 but also have toolless adjustment? 

Im gonna go try on a bunch, but was looking for a nudge in a certain direction. 

Edited by start_today

For fit I think the IMS 9.0 or reakt vvn pro is pretty close. For the same foam the V08 from what I’ve seen mentioned elsewhere on the internet. That’s why I don’t have a 4500, i hate the adjustment. 

• Like 1

I went through exactly this a few months back. The CCM V08 was recommended to me and it fit great. Really like it so far. The Tacks 110 was also recommended and while I didn’t try that specific model, I did try the 310 and 710 and didn’t like either. They pinched the back of my head near the adjustment spot

• Like 1

V08 from my experience is the closest.  I wore 4500's back in the day and then switched to V08's which I wear now.  I've tried the Resistance 100 which was way too square/round, not very oval, and also have an IMS9 which just doesn't feel quite right, it feels ok at first but I can never get past 10 minutes without it getting uncomfortable.

• Like 2

The CCM V08 is the closet thing I can think of when it comes the Bauer 4500 "feel." I've been using the V08 for years now as an official and just bought another bucket for inline. Even though the Bauer 4500 was first helmet I used playing hockey, the V08 looks better in my opinion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, start_today said:

Is the V08 still available at retail at all? Did it evolve into anything?

Odd store still has black ones. I get my other colours on SLS usually. It turned into the RES 100/110 then the tacks 110 is the current model. They fit different though. Hard to explain. Just doesn’t feel as wide or deep. I wear a medium v08 but the medium 110 felt off. Large felt too big. That’s just for me anyhow.  

13 hours ago, start_today said:

checkout sideline swap for v08

Not too long ago (maybe a couple of months?) Dick's Sporting goods had V08 combos for sale in store and online, wouldn't be a bad deal except it comes with a hideous looking cage.  I've also seen them listed on some Canadian retail sites that ship to the US, so yes you can still get them at retail but it might be a little more work.

On 4/6/2021 at 11:32 PM, start_today said:

You may be able to find some on eBay. Not as consistent but you can find them. I've found a couple over the years on eBay.

Serious question, how often are people typically adjusting their helmets? I adjust when I first get it and then never again. Or am I doing something wrong?

12 minutes ago, Davideo said:

Serious question, how often are people typically adjusting their helmets? I adjust when I first get it and then never again. Or am I doing something wrong?

You’re good.

Unless it rubs wrong or the adjustment clips slip, why would you need to redo it?

17 hours ago, Davideo said:

Depends on the flow. 🤣

Seriously, I never touched the adjustment after the initial fit until my hair got a little long. 

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2021 at 3:11 PM, Davideo said:

Same. My dome is already big enough so I just have helmets extended as far as they can haha.

On 4/9/2021 at 1:11 PM, Davideo said:

I always loosen it off then tighten it to fit every game. I just always have lol. I have many v08 helmets I know they all fit the same but I just always do it. I have no clue why 😂

52 minutes ago, Tucker16 said:

I always loosen it off then tighten it to fit every game. I just always have lol. I have many v08 helmets I know they all fit the same but I just always do it. I have no clue why 😂

I do this with my 11k, since it just has the wheel in the back to tighten. With my e700s they just have the elastic inside so I never have to adjust them

• Like 1

Were these actively in production recently, or is the certification date going to be 2017?

(ive read mixed things about whether that certification date even matters, but I figure it can’t hurt.)

9 hours ago, start_today said:

Were these actively in production recently, or is the certification date going to be 2017?

(ive read mixed things about whether that certification date even matters, but I figure it can’t hurt.)

They still produce them for the pros so maybe those will have recent production and certification dates?  I always thought those dates were just for youth hockey, as in if it wasn't certified they couldn't use it?  Then again I always peeled those stickers off so maybe things have changed since the 90's 😬

edit: I saw them in person in Dicks a few months ago, next time I go (which will probably be soon since my kids keep outgrowing stuff) I'll see if they still have them and check the dates.

Edited by xstartxtodayx

On 4/7/2021 at 4:28 AM, Tucker16 said:

Odd store still has black ones. I get my other colours on SLS usually. It turned into the RES 100/110 then the tacks 110 is the current model. They fit different though. Hard to explain. Just doesn’t feel as wide or deep. I wear a medium v08 but the medium 110 felt off. Large felt too big. That’s just for me anyhow.  

I hear you on this. Bought a 310 M after trying it on in the store, but wore it while reading for half an hour and felt like it was pinching at the temples. I didn’t even try a L in store because the M felt so good. 

• Like 1