Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Westside

True skates - Should I be concerned about this crack?

I recently picked up a pair of TF9 skates and had Marsblade R1's installed. They were purchased and converted from a reputable local shop that has been a True dealer for years and done tons of Marsblade conversions. Up until yesterday I had skated in them for an hour and a half or so; mostly casual skating while stickhandling just to get comfortable and see how they feel. Yesterday I played my first game in them and had zero complaints. When I got home and took them out of my bag I happen to notice a crack on the bottom edge of the toe cap. This isn't present on the other boot or other side of the toe cap. I suppose it could have been from an impact of puck or something, but that seems pretty crazy for brand new skates. The crack is just at this edge; it does not extend past that circular branding stamp or the rivet. 

Has anyone else experienced this? I'll keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse, but should this be a concern? 

1616628603405-vi.jpg

Wasn't sure if this should go in the True skate thread or on it's own so feel free to move if necessary. 

Obviously, no one likes to see damage on their new skates, but I wouldn't be that concerned with a small crack on the lower part of the toe cap plastic. That toe cap is held in place with adhesives and the rivets from your chassis; I can't see it going anywhere and there's carbon fiber under that part of the cap (based on pictures I've seen of the True shells). Now, if it was a crack in the carbon fiber, that would be concerning.

• Like 1

It should be fine, but I would drill a tiny hole if you can reach the end of that crack to alleviate/stop the propagation, and then also maybe a dab of plastic weld or epoxy.

Something like

7-93.jpg

Edited by Giltis
  • Like 5

Like others have said, I wouldn't be too concerned. But I would be a bit annoyed honestly. I wonder what caused that. I have never seen a skate break from an inline puck. Too light. Dented chassis, sure, but to me that looks more like the plastic toe cap isn't completely tight to the carbon mold, so when the R1 was mounted, it might have squeezed the area where the carbon and plastic meet around the rivet. If there was some play there, most likely the torsion of play caused that small crack. But that's my theory based on one picture, so take it with a grain of salt

• Like 1

I suppose 'concerned' may not have been the right word choice. They're hockey skates so they're going to get beat up. I was just surprised by this the first game out. I understand the idea of drilling a hole to try and stop a potential spread of the crack, but I'd be weary to do that in case this becomes a problem and I have to file a warranty claim with True. Perhaps I'll contact them first so it's documented and then drill a hole. 

The original photo might not show this, and I'm not sure how the toe cap/boot is on pre-TF9 True skates, but there is a slight gap between the boot and the toe cap. Both boots and both sides of the toe cap is like this. It's hard plastic, but you can push it and make it flex a bit if you try. Here's a close up showing the area I'm referring to where the diagonal pattern meets the toe cap. Where the toe cap is glued/flush with the bottom of the boot is more or less where the crack started. 

1616706645330-vi.jpg

Edited by Westside
  • Like 1

Yup, that looks like the reason for the crack

My customs did not have that gap. Not sure about other retail models

Edited by Miller55

22 hours ago, Giltis said:

It should be fine, but I would drill a tiny hole if you can reach the end of that crack to alleviate/stop the propagation, and then also maybe a dab of plastic weld or epoxy.

Something like

7-93.jpg

Agree with this. 

On 3/25/2021 at 2:19 PM, Westside said:

I suppose 'concerned' may not have been the right word choice. They're hockey skates so they're going to get beat up. I was just surprised by this the first game out. I understand the idea of drilling a hole to try and stop a potential spread of the crack, but I'd be weary to do that in case this becomes a problem and I have to file a warranty claim with True. Perhaps I'll contact them first so it's documented and then drill a hole. 

The original photo might not show this, and I'm not sure how the toe cap/boot is on pre-TF9 True skates, but there is a slight gap between the boot and the toe cap. Both boots and both sides of the toe cap is like this. It's hard plastic, but you can push it and make it flex a bit if you try. Here's a close up showing the area I'm referring to where the diagonal pattern meets the toe cap. Where the toe cap is glued/flush with the bottom of the boot is more or less where the crack started. 

1616706645330-vi.jpg

Looks normal to me. Imo I think the mounting of the r1 chassis is what caused it. 

On 3/25/2021 at 5:19 PM, Westside said:

I'd be careful of your wording if you reached out to TRUE regarding this. At the end of the day, they could tell you you're out of luck because you modified the original skates - therefore voiding any warranty they offer.

• Like 2

Yeah I wouldn't expect True to honor a warrantee for this as they have a pretty easy out by just saying that the mount was done improperly. 

True advised me that the crack in the photo would not compromise the structural integrity of the boot at all since there’s a full composite shell under the plastic overlay toe cap. They also added the rivets helped further secure the cap to the boot. So.... I’m not going to worry about it

• Like 5

The one thing I don't like about the boot design is that the toecap is integrated into the whole boot. For example, to replace the toe cap for any reason, you have to rip the stitching off and pry facing off the actual quarter package. 

14 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

The one thing I don't like about the boot design is that the toecap is integrated into the whole boot. For example, to replace the toe cap for any reason, you have to rip the stitching off and pry facing off the actual quarter package. 

Why would you ever need to replace the toe cap? TRUE is the only brand of skate where I have never seen the toe cap suffer a catastrophic failure from impact or otherwise. 

On 4/1/2021 at 9:14 PM, Sniper9 said:

Is there another skate brand that allows you to replace the toe cap? Any Bauer or CCM boot I’ve seen with a cracked toe cap means it’s time to buy a brand new skate 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PBH said:

Why would you ever need to replace the toe cap? TRUE is the only brand of skate where I have never seen the toe cap suffer a catastrophic failure from impact or otherwise. 

Have you not seen the velcro tab breaking off? The only way to fix that properly is to replace the toe cap. It happened to me the same day I brought my skates home from the shop bc whoever stitched the velcro onto the tab went over it like three times causing so many needle holes in the plastic tab that it just tore off like cheque from a chequebook. I sent it back and they fixed it by putting a glob of epoxy on it..... Even after saying they would most likely replace the whole toe cap to fix it properly. I ended up just using epoxy to adhere the velcro directly on the underside of the toecap but the overall design of the velcro tab is flawed. 

Edited by Sniper9

11 hours ago, Westside said:

Is there another skate brand that allows you to replace the toe cap? Any Bauer or CCM boot I’ve seen with a cracked toe cap means it’s time to buy a brand new skate 

The issue isn't so much the actual toe cap breaking but that stupid plastic velcro tab. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

The issue isn't so much the actual toe cap breaking but that stupid plastic velcro tab. 

Plastic velcro tab? Are you referring to the piece that holds the tongue? Never heard of that happening, is it common with true skates? 

4 hours ago, Westside said:

Plastic velcro tab? Are you referring to the piece that holds the tongue? Never heard of that happening, is it common with true skates? 

The part that holds the piece of velcro that attaches to the tongue. It isn't extremely common but when you look at the design it's bound to happen, and when it does it's annoying af. 

iN my case though, I will say it was bc whoever stitched it did a brutal job and it wasn't due to wear and tear.  But I do know this happens on occasion from wear and tear. u0YqGoH.jpgjXVrsQ8.jpg

On 4/3/2021 at 7:12 PM, Sniper9 said:

The part that holds the piece of velcro that attaches to the tongue. It isn't extremely common but when you look at the design it's bound to happen, and when it does it's annoying af. 

iN my case though, I will say it was bc whoever stitched it did a brutal job and it wasn't due to wear and tear.  But I do know this happens on occasion from wear and tear. u0YqGoH.jpgjXVrsQ8.jpg

Thats an easy fix. You dont need to swap out the whole toe cap to fix that.... 

Hi all,

Reviving this topic on the TRUE TF9.

I have a one week old pair, been on the ice three times and I noticed the carbon fiber heel has cracks on both skates.  One crack is on the upper heel about and inch long, the other cracks are all at the lower side, ball area or the heel. 

Has anyone had this happen to their carbon skates? First time seeing this and I emailed TRUE for some guidance or warranty. 

Cheers, Paul

55 minutes ago, PaulS said:

Hi all,

Reviving this topic on the TRUE TF9.

I have a one week old pair, been on the ice three times and I noticed the carbon fiber heel has cracks on both skates.  One crack is on the upper heel about and inch long, the other cracks are all at the lower side, ball area or the heel. 

Has anyone had this happen to their carbon skates? First time seeing this and I emailed TRUE for some guidance or warranty. 

Cheers, Paul

Do you have pictures?

Could have swore I posted it here but I guess not. My ice pair of TF9s got a crack in the heel, but it must have been from taking a puck to them. Been skating like this for a month or two and it doesn’t seem to be getting any worse 

2v2aNbLbox1YqB.jpg

36 minutes ago, Westside said:

Could have swore I posted it here but I guess not. My ice pair of TF9s got a crack in the heel, but it must have been from taking a puck to them. Been skating like this for a month or two and it doesn’t seem to be getting any worse 

2v2aNbLbox1YqB.jpg

These are only a week old?  I swear i saw this picture a month or two ago.  I Personally would call that a major crack and failure of the carbon fiber, but I am no expect as to what is underneath that initial layer.

EDIT:  just realized you are not the person who revived this thread that I was replying to

Edited by noupf

37 minutes ago, noupf said:

These are only a week old?  I swear i saw this picture a month or two ago.  I Personally would call that a major crack and failure of the carbon fiber, but I am no expect as to what is underneath that initial layer.

EDIT:  just realized you are not the person who revived this thread that I was replying to

Looks to me there was some impact from something (puck, stick ,skate, board, goal) the way the carbon cracked. 

Yeah, I’m not the person that said my skates cracked after a week. That person simple asked if anyone else has experienced True carbon cracking. These skates are about a year old