Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
hockeydad3

Forward pitch by heelift using outer shims at (roller-) skates

With my new TF7 7.0R roller skates, I would like to have a little more forward pitch. I can achieve this with my iceskates through the profile and my balance point is in the right place. Since I am very satisfied with the fit of the TF7 and the stockinsoles I would like to achieve the forward pitch through outer shims. The guys at my LHS have no experience with this and have concerns that the insertion of shims under the heel leads to a tension on the skate, which could damage it in the medium to long term. Has anyone of you have experience with this procedure and what materials have been used for? Which height do the shims need to achieve a moderate but noticeable forward pitch?

I have no experience with TF7's but have shimmed roller, ice and figure skates for pitch. I have never come across a skate that failed in the sole because a shim was added to the rear or front. Whilst the pitch of the boot may change, there is not a lot of flex thru the middle section because the front and rear are fixed. 2mm was what I would have started with if you wanted a noticeable change however be prepared to try 2 or 3 different heights until you find the one you want.

15 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

I have no experience with TF7's but have shimmed roller, ice and figure skates for pitch. I have never come across a skate that failed in the sole because a shim was added to the rear or front. Whilst the pitch of the boot may change, there is not a lot of flex thru the middle section because the front and rear are fixed. 2mm was what I would have started with if you wanted a noticeable change however be prepared to try 2 or 3 different heights until you find the one you want.

Thank you for your answer. The TF7 is a one piece boot construction made of a stiff glas fiber composite material. The lower part of the boot consists of the insole, which is placed on the composite shell, and the composite shell itself. The holders are riveted directly to and through the composite shell.

If you or the shop are worried about the stress a shim may place on the boot then you need to plane the shims so the boot geometry remains the same. Take the back point of the shim (let's say it's 2mm high at the back of the boot) then you draw a line that follows the shape of the boot to the toe where it sits on the chassis. Now you plane the front and back shims to follow that line. This is much more work but it ensures the boot shape does not change, just the pitch.