Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Furyan

true shift holder

hey guys!

sorry in advance for a really dumb questions, but it's important for me and pls do not ask me why -))

1. i've got a ammended true custom tf skates, with new shift holders. of course, i can see that shift holder extremely higher than my favorite ccm xs. plus, i suppose a shift holder has a much more agressive geometry - they a pushing me forward. at the same time, the steel is a great (i've got a new shift dlc runners - no questions at all). so here is my first question: is it possible to re-profile the runner to make the stance little bit backward? if so - how to?

2. what is about exact weight for shift holder, in comparison with ccm xs? they a lighter or heavier in the same size? for example 272

what i'm going to do - is to understand, which way will be more effective: to remount shift holder to ccm xs (i have few pair of holders and blades), or re-profile the shift runner

thanks alot!

Yes, you can reprofile the steel to a more neutral position. K&K skate put an Ellipse profile on the steel for my TF9s and moved me back off my toes slightly.  It feels much more natural with the change made.  Any reputable profiling shop should be able to move the balance point for you.

You could also put a toe lift in. That way your steel stays the same and you adjust the pitch in a way that’s less invasive and cheaper to correct or adjust.

The draw to the shift holder was STEP Steel, was it not...

Since CCM now owns STEP and you already have some holders and steel. Wouldn't it make more sense to just switch to the XS holder? 

53 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Since CCM now owns STEP and you already have some holders and steel. Wouldn't it make more sense to just switch to the XS holder? 

The draw was ideally retailers didn't have to carry a holder for each skate since they are symmetrical. 

34 minutes ago, Hills said:

The draw was ideally retailers didn't have to carry a holder for each skate since they are symmetrical. 

Less production costs as well.  

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 5:31 AM, Furyan said:

hey guys!

sorry in advance for a really dumb questions, but it's important for me and pls do not ask me why -))

1. i've got a ammended true custom tf skates, with new shift holders. of course, i can see that shift holder extremely higher than my favorite ccm xs. plus, i suppose a shift holder has a much more agressive geometry - they a pushing me forward. at the same time, the steel is a great (i've got a new shift dlc runners - no questions at all). so here is my first question: is it possible to re-profile the runner to make the stance little bit backward? if so - how to?

2. what is about exact weight for shift holder, in comparison with ccm xs? they a lighter or heavier in the same size? for example 272

what i'm going to do - is to understand, which way will be more effective: to remount shift holder to ccm xs (i have few pair of holders and blades), or re-profile the shift runner

thanks alot!

The SHIFT holder with the new v2 SHIFT DLC steel weighs slightly more than an XS holder with XS steel. If you compare an XS holder with STEP steel the SHIFT holder weighs less. 

I would reprofile before swapping holders. 

On 4/14/2021 at 6:08 PM, stick9 said:

in the end i did it, after roughly 10 practices

i felt way better ice feel, now my feet are back with me again -)

it is strange, but i cannot adapt to shift holder because too aggressive angle/something else

during skate, i felt like my skates are trying to dig to the ice, and my crossovers were horrible

right now all the negative things are gone, i have a really nice boot with no issues with holder and blade

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 12:24 AM, Furyan said:

it is strange, but i cannot adapt to shift holder because too aggressive angle/something else

during skate, i felt like my skates are trying to dig to the ice, and my crossovers were horrible

right now all the negative things are gone, i have a really nice boot with no issues with holder and blade

A profile would have easily fixed this, but I am glad you got this resolved regardless. 

On 4/22/2021 at 8:25 PM, PBH said:

A profile would have easily fixed this, but I am glad you got this resolved regardless. 

I myself, along with a few other clients experienced the same thing you felt Furyan. Edges really digging in no matter what contour or ROH we tried. Turns out that the holder was excessively flexing side to side when powering forward or backward and under hard cornering and crossovers...very likely due to the tall and very thin profile of the True holders...that being, like you, was very easily and happily fixed with the installation of the CCM XS holders, and now we have an excellent setup like you...

On 4/22/2021 at 5:25 PM, PBH said:

I had my Shift holders profiled twice over the course of 3 weeks (8 skates) and could never get comfortable on them. Switched to Tuuks and felt completely normal in 5 mins. I too thought a simple profile would be enough but just didn’t feel right. Also I’m not overly obsessive or even observant about profiles. I usually just buy new Tuuk steel and go. 

Edited by pucks_putts

This is more of an “I wonder how” than anything else, but in order to profile a Shift to be more similar to a Tuuk or CCM holder, what should a good shop do to compensate for the more forward tilted foot of a Shift?  There’s got to be some sort of balance point manipulation to do this, right? Not just an arc change?

I guess I'm the only one who stuck it out with the Shift holders and actually likes them. At first I did have trouble with feeling comfortable on the shift holder as they were shorter than the Tuuks. It wasn't until I changed the profile to the Elipsys that I really felt a difference and comfortable, the Quad profile just felt too short on the shift holder. 

2 hours ago, the_game said:

I guess I'm the only one who stuck it out with the Shift holders and actually likes them. At first I did have trouble with feeling comfortable on the shift holder as they were shorter than the Tuuks. It wasn't until I changed the profile to the Elipsys that I really felt a difference and comfortable, the Quad profile just felt too short on the shift holder. 

I did the debate for mine but couldn’t bring myself to drill more holes in my boots, so I stuck it out and love them.  288 holder, Quad 1.  What Ellipse profile on what size did you end up with?  Ellipse 1 made me feel like I was waterskiing.

On 4/24/2021 at 11:50 PM, JBP said:

I myself, along with a few other clients experienced the same thing you felt Furyan. Edges really digging in no matter what contour or ROH we tried. Turns out that the holder was excessively flexing side to side when powering forward or backward and under hard cornering and crossovers...very likely due to the tall and very thin profile of the True holders...that being, like you, was very easily and happily fixed with the installation of the CCM XS holders, and now we have an excellent setup like you...

How du you know that the holder is flexing? Could it be that the difference(height, pitch and alignment of the blade) of the shift holder compared to the Tuuk/CCM holder is altering the balance point of the skate and this is leading to the feeling of flex?

Edited by hockeydad3

3 hours ago, JV23 said:

I did the debate for mine but couldn’t bring myself to drill more holes in my boots, so I stuck it out and love them.  288 holder, Quad 1.  What Ellipse profile on what size did you end up with?  Ellipse 1 made me feel like I was waterskiing.

I went from a 272 Tuuk with a Quad 0 to the Shift 263 and the Quad 0, but it felt so short & choppy at the toe/front of the blade. Made the switch to an Elipsys 0, much more stable and smoother. Took a little getting used to in transitions, in terms of pivoting from backwards to chasing pucks in deep but other than that realized with this profile I wouldn't need to go the holder swap router. 

On 4/24/2021 at 2:50 PM, JBP said:

Testing has shown the TRUE holders to be stiffer than TUUK and XS, so I am not sure if I agree with your "feeling." 

6 hours ago, the_game said:

I like them just fine. If I stuck with 3mm wide steel I would rep the SHIFT holder all day long. However I am one of the few on the Flare bandwagon. 

• Like 2

For those that switched from Shift to Tuuks in the same length, did one side of the holes on the True skate line up for "proper" alignment or did you have to fill and re-drill them slightly offset?

2 hours ago, gosinger said:

For those that switched from Shift to Tuuks in the same length, did one side of the holes on the True skate line up for "proper" alignment or did you have to fill and re-drill them slightly offset?

Most of the time, one side of holes line up. 

• Thanks 1

When people shifted (ahem) from previous skates to Trues, did you keep the same profile as your previous skates? Coming from 2S skates with quad .5. Holder length is the same, 272. 

Going to stick it out with the Shift holder and stock steel for now. 

I know I need to just try stuff and see how it feels, but hoping to get some input and have a good starting point, so I’m not burning through steel and money trying different profiles. 

On 4/26/2021 at 9:42 AM, the_game said:

I use the Shift holders and really like them.

On 4/26/2021 at 1:41 PM, PBH said:

Testing has shown the TRUE holders to be stiffer than TUUK and XS

Care to share the reference please?

It’s totally empirical but squeezing the holder’s towers the one that Feels the stiffest is Tuuk, followed by XS, followed by Shift. There is a noticeable give in the plastic for Shift as compared to other holders?

Also do I understand correctly that the rear tower on Shift is 3mm higher than XS? If so given that XS is neutral it’d put Shift at +2 pitch that’s pretty extreme? 
How can anyone seamlessly adjust to it coming out of XS of Tuuk?!

On 4/19/2021 at 3:24 PM, Furyan said:

I just replaced my shift holders with XS holders after reading this tread. I think my LHS reused the medial row of rivet holes and drilled new holes on the lateral side. Not sure if I'm imagining it, but I feel like my xs holder was mounted too much to the medial side and I have to much weight on my medial (big toe) side. I also have wide feet which probably exacerbates the problem. Anyone else with this issue?

https://imgur.com/a/sVsMlMj

17 hours ago, eugene8080 said:

I just replaced my shift holders with XS holders after reading this tread. I think my LHS reused the medial row of rivet holes and drilled new holes on the lateral side. Not sure if I'm imagining it, but I feel like my xs holder was mounted too much to the medial side and I have to much weight on my medial (big toe) side. I also have wide feet which probably exacerbates the problem. Anyone else with this issue?

https://imgur.com/a/sVsMlMj

I would need to see the bottom of the boot.