Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JAY4114

Stick help

I play ball hockey and I want to start inline with a puck. I’m looking for a new kick point and possibly a curve. I’m using a P88 and feel comfortable but wouldn’t mind trying something new. I play forward and defense. I have a really good wrist shot and snap shot. I’m working on my slap shot. What stick/ kick point should I be looking for. Right now my preferred brand would be Bauer but I’m open to other ideas. Also wouldn’t mind thoughts on curve. 

P88 is relatively closed, so it's ideal for ball hockey where it's very easy to lift the puck. I personally like the p88 as well. I used iginla for a long time and went to PM9, but at this point I just moved to p88 and I love it. Coming from a PM9 it has plenty of curve to get shots from the point or slot high. I don't shoot a ton from in close, and if I do I tend to shoot 5 hole. If you're looking for the next step up, go to p92.

In terms of kick, you can try the variable kick of the Jetspeed or STX rx3. It's really all a matter of preference, but a p88 with a variable kick is a pretty safe way to learn.

On 4/20/2021 at 10:23 AM, JAY4114 said:

I play ball hockey and I want to start inline with a puck. I’m looking for a new kick point and possibly a curve. I’m using a P88 and feel comfortable but wouldn’t mind trying something new. I play forward and defense. I have a really good wrist shot and snap shot. I’m working on my slap shot. What stick/ kick point should I be looking for. Right now my preferred brand would be Bauer but I’m open to other ideas. Also wouldn’t mind thoughts on curve. 

kickpoint: if you are taking most of your shots at the blue line, then mid or hybrid kickpoint is preferable. If you are taking most of your shots within 10 to 25 feet of the net, a lower kickpoint is better. But, either could do and you might be more interested in the flex and blade shape that works for you than kickpoint.

Just now, caveman27 said:

kickpoint: if you are taking most of your shots at the blue line, then mid or hybrid kickpoint is preferable. If you are taking most of your shots within 10 to 25 feet of the net, a lower kickpoint is better. But, either could do and you might be more interested in the flex and blade shape that works for you than kickpoint.

I take shots from everywhere during games

11 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

I take shots from everywhere during games

Ok. You could use either kickpoint knowing that a lower kickpoint is going to get your shot off a little bit faster than a mid kickpoint, which probably will work for you if you are mostly taking wrist and snapshots.

On 4/20/2021 at 11:53 AM, JAY4114 said:

By the sounds of it you may just want to go with the happy middle ground and choose a stick with a hybrid kick-point like the Jetspeed line. 

Curve-wise it's personal preference. I like P29s/P19s and P/38s for ice hockey with a puck, but with a ball I prefer something flatter like a Bauer P9 or the old Easton Iginla and Zetterberg curves. If your going to use one stick for ball and puck than I'd probably aim for something once again in the happy middle ground. Your P88 should hit that mark, but if you want to consider a higher lie curve, try the P29. 

If you're good with the P88 I'd stick with it unless you feel there's a part of your game that you want to elevate.  I play mostly forward and wanted a little more zip on my shots and to be able to put the puck under the crossbar a little easier from in close.  When I played ball I used something a bit more straight, similar to a P88 but found my wrist shots and snap shots greatly improved with a P92 for puck. Slappers were always better for me with a heel curve, bigger sweet spot, but you can get the P92 (or any curve for that matter with enough practice and skill) to really rip slappers.  

I'm currently experimenting with the p28 curve. I don't think I would personally recommend it for a defensemen but it's fun to use as a forward once you start figuring it out, I'm still in the process of doing that.