Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JAY4114

Tour skates

I haven't used them myself, but from everything I've heard and read, it seems like they're slightly deeper and wider than a Mission/Supreme in D. The owner of Coast to Coast Hockey (a shop in Vancouver, Canada that specializes in inline) told me that Tours have a reputation for being wide, but he felt that was a little overstated and they didn't really work for people who had feet wide enough to need a Nexus type fit or even a EE Supreme.

I believe they also fit a half size shorter than Mission/Bauer in the same size. In other words, most people go up a half size in Tour vs. Bauer, Mission or CCM. Hopefully, some people who have actually used the Tour skates can chime in.

Here's what Inlinewarehouse wrote about the fit of both the Volt and Code lines: High Volume / deep heel pocket - wide forefoot - high instep

Edited by althoma1

I would agree that they are not super wide, but they are definitely deeper than anything else on the inline market. The tour cap is actually not wide at all, maybe even a bit more narrow than missions. They are deep heel and wide through the middle of the foot, but they definitely taper a bit towards the toe. It's a bit counterintuitive because most people's heels are narrower than their forefoot

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

I would agree that they are not super wide, but they are definitely deeper than anything else on the inline market. The tour cap is actually not wide at all, maybe even a bit more narrow than missions. They are deep heel and wide through the middle of the foot, but they definitely taper a bit towards the toe. It's a bit counterintuitive because most people's heels are narrower than their forefoot

So how wide would the forefoot be compared to a mission in an E width?

4 hours ago, althoma1 said:

I haven't used them myself, but from everything I've heard and read, it seems like they're slightly deeper and wider than a Mission/Supreme in D. The owner of Coast to Coast Hockey (a shop in Vancouver, Canada that specializes in inline) told me that Tours have a reputation for being wide, but he felt that was a little overstated and they didn't really work for people who had feet wide enough to need a Nexus type fit or even a EE Supreme.

I believe they also fit a half size shorter than Mission/Bauer in the same size. In other words, most people go up a half size in Tour vs. Bauer, Mission or CCM. Hopefully, some people who have actually used the Tour skates can chime in.

Here's what Inlinewarehouse wrote about the fit of both the Volt and Code lines: High Volume / deep heel pocket - wide forefoot - high instep

Would a regular be wider than a mission in an E?

Tour is the widest in the arches and midfoot. It's also the deepest. I have very tall instep and need tours depth, but if I go even a half size up in tour, they're way too deep. My point is that you have to be careful with sizing. If you know your size in Bauer length, either that size or a half size up will work for tour. Same size if you like to squish your toes, half size up of you want them to brush the cap.

Edited by Miller55
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

Would a regular be wider than a mission in an E?

I would go with what Miller55 is saying since he has actually used the skates. It sounds like the Tours may be deeper and wider in the midfoot, but narrower in the toe box. 

If you want something wider than a Mission EE, but an average depth, look into True TF7 or TF9s in wide. You would need to drop down a half size vs Bauer though as the Trues fit longer in the sane size after baking.

• Like 1

That's correct. Tour only makes one width and the toe is maybe a bit narrower than Mission D, and obviously EE. True TFs in Wide will probably have the most width through the arch and toes. Like @althoma1said, those fit longer so you need to size down.

also, mission, even in EE, will be more tapered in the arch, as they are officially a more anatomically shaped boot

Edited by Miller55
Additional point
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Miller55 said:

That's correct. Tour only makes one width and the toe is maybe a bit narrower than Mission D, and obviously EE. True TFs in Wide will probably have the most width through the arch and toes. Like @althoma1said, those fit longer so you need to size down.

also, mission, even in EE, will be more tapered in the arch, as they are officially a more anatomically shaped boot

Ngl don’t really know what tapered and anatomical mean in the terms of skates sorry. Also does the code and volt have the exact same fit profile? I know the volts have that stupid retail insole and they didn’t work for me

Never wore the volts, but they look similar. Tapered means it gets narrower at a certain point. Anatomical means it follows the natural contours of the foot very closely. That would mean that since most people have high arches and their foot is narrower in that area, the skate will be narrower in that area, which is probably not good for you.

3 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Never wore the volts, but they look similar. Tapered means it gets narrower at a certain point. Anatomical means it follows the natural contours of the foot very closely. That would mean that since most people have high arches and their foot is narrower in that area, the skate will be narrower in that area, which is probably not good for you.

Oh yeah. The Bauer scanner says either fit 2 or 3 and an E width. I always thought missions were wider than supreme

The guy at pure hockey said that I should probably got to a doctor to get my problem looked at since it’s the exact same and I’ve tried 3 pairs of skates and multiple insoles. He said I probably injured myself from using vapors during hard training when I was learning to skate. He said he had something similar from using a skate too narrow and was the first person to accurately describe my pain. It feels like my arch cramps up and stays that way and starts burning really bad. It lessens if I’m not applying pressure and almost completely goes away when I take the skates off but I still feel some pain while walking. 

Edited by JAY4114

Mission skates have been built using the Supreme last since around 2009. So a Mission skate of the same size and product level should be exactly the same width as a Supreme. If you were comparing a high end Curv based Supreme to an entry level Mission, then the Missions may feel wider in the same size due to the softer materials. 

9 hours ago, althoma1 said:

Mission skates have been built using the Supreme last since around 2009. So a Mission skate of the same size and product level should be exactly the same width as a Supreme. If you were comparing a high end Curv based Supreme to an entry level Mission, then the Missions may feel wider in the same size due to the softer materials. 

So should I try tours even though I can’t get them in a E width? I’m not sure if True skates are an option for me right now. 

There's no harm in trying the Tours on or buying them from an online shop where you can return them for free as long as you only try them on and don't use them (Inlinewarehouse offers that if you're in the US). I just wouldn't buy them if you can't easily return them as they may or may not feel good on your feet. You won't know until you can try them on. 

As for Trues not being an option, I assume it's because they're more than you can or want to spend? A lot of people think of customs that are over a grand when they think of Trues, but their True TF7s are a mid-range offering with some high end features. They also have a 30 day satisfaction offer with select retailers where you can bake them and wear them and send them back within 30 days for a full refund if they don't end up working well for you. 

Coast to Coast in Vancouver offers custom Marsblade conversions with the 30 day guarantee and Inline Warehouse has the stock model with the 30 day guarantee. They're definitely more expensive than the Tours, but are much cheaper than high end Bauer, Missions or custom Trues. 

Edited by althoma1

16 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

There's no harm in trying the Tours on or buying them from an online shop where you can return them for free as long as you only try them on and don't use them (Inlinewarehouse offers that if you're in the US). I just wouldn't buy them if you can't easily return them as they may or may not feel good on your feet. You won't know until you can try them on. 

As for Trues not being an option, I assume it's because they're more than you can or want to spend? A lot of people think of customs that are over a grand when they think of Trues, but their True TF7s are a mid-range offering with some high end features. They also have a 30 day satisfaction offer with select retailers where you can bake them and wear them and send them back within 30 days for a full refund if they don't end up working well for you. 

Coast to Coast in Vancouver offers custom Marsblade conversions with the 30 day guarantee and Inline Warehouse has the stock model with the 30 day guarantee. They're definitely more expensive than the Tours, but are much cheaper than high end Bauer, Missions or custom Trues. 

Yeah I was looking at the mission fz-5 when then went on sale. It’s a little too late for me to try to play with my school so I’d just try to play recreational men’s leagues. If I can get decent before June I might be able to play competitively. $475 is over my budget even with the 30 day satisfaction. Would the tf7 in W be wider than a tour in D or R?

Edited by JAY4114

I have a pair of converted TF9s in W and have tried on the TF7s. I've also tried on EE Supremes and Tacks. In my opinion, the Trues in W are wider than both EE Supremes and EE Tacks. I have never tried on Tours, but based on what Miller55 said, the EE Missions (which use the Supreme last) are wider than Tour in the forefoot and I know that Trues in W are wider than EE Mission/Supremes. That leads me to believe that Trues in W would definitely be wider than Tours in the forefoot. I'm not sure about the mid-foot and can't make that comparison since I've never used or tried on Tours.

The only skates I've ever owned that have felt as wide in the forefoot as the Trues are EE Makos and the only skates I've tried on that have felt wider are the Nexus skates. 

Before baking the Trues are really tight in the heel and midfoot, and still snug in the forefoot, but really open up after baking. They're more thermoformable than anything else currently on the market. With the Tours, baking would speed up breaking, but with Trues the boot actually changes and expands in certain areas. So you could judge the fit of the Tours before baking, but it's impossible to know how the Trues will fit without baking them first. The right size will feel too small/tight before baking and the size that feels good before baking may be too big after. 

Edited by althoma1

12 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Would you say that the mission E is wider than tour? Or just EE?

From what I've read, Alkali's are similar to D width Missions, but fit slightly shorter in the same size; so, people going from D Missions to Alkali often need a half size larger. If you have a foot that needs EE, I don't think Alkali would be wide enough as they only come in a standard width. 

As for Mission E vs. Tour - based on what Miller55 said, and other things I've read, I'd expect the Tours to be deeper overall and wider in the mid-foot, but narrower in the forefoot and toe box. 

At this point, I think you need to either go to a shop and try a few on if it's possible or order a few models from a place like Inlinewarehouse that offers free returns and keep the one that fits best and send back the others. If you don't have a shop near you that carries a good selection of inline skates, but they do have ice skates, you can figure out your Mission size by trying on Supreme ice skates and True inlines and ice skates will fit the same. No ice skates will fit exactly like Tour or Alkali. No one will be able to tell you the perfect model and size online - general fit profiles sure, but you won't know what works for your feet until they're on your feet. 

Edited by althoma1

8 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

From what I've read, Alkali's are similar to D width Missions, but fit slightly shorter in the same size; so, people going from D Missions to Alkali often need a half size larger. If you have a foot that needs EE, I don't think Alkali would be wide enough as they only come in a standard width. 

As for Mission E vs. Tour - based on what Miller55 said, and other things I've read, I'd expect the Tours to be deeper overall and wider in the mid-foot, but narrower in the forefoot. 

At this point, I think you need to either go to a shop and try a few on if it's possible or order a few models from a place like Inlinewarehouse that offers free returns and keep the one that fits best and send back the others. If you don't have a shop near you that carries a good selection of inline skates, but they do have ice skates, you can figure out your Mission size by trying on Supreme ice skates and True inlines and ice skates will fit the same. No ice skates will fit exactly like Tour or Alkali. No one will be able to tell you the perfect model and size online - general fit profiles sure, but you won't know what works for your feet until they're on your feet. 

I’ve tried tour volt skates, mission fz-5 and vapors and they all have the same problem even with different insoles. I think tour code skates and true tf7 are my only options left seeing that alkali are similar to the missions. 

As far as I know, the Tour skate fit hasn't really changed between the Volt and the Code. Mission FZ-5 is an E skate; so besides Trues in W, higher end used or clearance Missions that come in EE would be an option if you can find them.

If none of the stock inline skates fit you well then getting pair of ice boots converted to inline is a great option. That's what I did with KOR and Easton Mako skates - those were the skates that felt best for me at the time and there were no inline versions. If you go the conversion route, you could try on CCM Tacks and Ribcore skates in EE, Bauer Supremes in EE or new Bauer skates in Fit 3. Discontinued models like Easton Makos in EE or just a Nexus D may also work, but they'd be hard to find in your size now. 

The sad truth is, if you have truly wide feet the cheap skates that come in one width won't work well for you and you'll have to spend more to either go up to a True TF7 in W, a high end Mission in EE or look into an inline conversion with a gently used or clearance pair of ice boots. It's either that or deal with the pain that comes from being in boots that are cheap, but don't fit well. 

Edited by althoma1

13 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

As far as I know, the Tour skate fit hasn't really changed between the Volt and the Code. Mission FZ-5 is an E skate; so besides Trues in W, higher end used or clearance Missions that come in EE would be an option if you can find them.

If none of the stock inline skates fit you well then getting pair of ice boots converted to inline is a great option. That's what I did with KOR and Easton Mako skates - those were the skates that felt best for me at the time and there were no inline versions. If you go the conversion route, you could try on CCM Tacks and Ribcore skates in EE, Bauer Supremes in EE or new Bauer skates in Fit 3. Discontinued models like Easton Makos in EE or just a Nexus D may also work, but they'd be hard to find in your size now. 

The sad truth is, if you have truly wide feet the cheap skates that come in one width won't work well for you and you'll have to spend more to either go up to a True TF7 in W, a high end Mission in EE or look into an inline conversion with a gently used or clearance pair of ice boots. It's either that or deal with the pain that comes from being in boots that are cheap, but don't fit well. 

At this point if I can’t find a skate for cheap I’ll just stick to ball hockey. I don’t wanna spend a lot of money on skates to be used for in house leagues since I most likely won’t be able to skate well enough for the 1 team that my school may have (inline is really dying around my arena and the coaches/toxic players don’t help the school team). It is very hard to deal with the pain because I can’t stand for more than a few minutes once it starts. If the itch to play inline really gets bad I’ll try sideline swap. Thanks for all the help and advice tho. 

Edited by JAY4114
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'd definitely look on sideline if you can figure out what size and model of skate wouldn't cause you pain. After that, it's just a matter of setting up a few saved searches and then you should be able to find a clearance pair or gently used pair of ice or inline boots in your size. It's easier to find ice boots, but if you get ice boots that fit well you can definitely have a chassis put on them. I know finding an inline setup is ideal, but having a chassis put on an ice boot is something most shops can do ($30-$80 is the range I've seen locally for doing that - plus the cost of the chassis of course and you'd need wheels, spacers and bearings).

Edited by althoma1

Honestly, just get a pair of rec skates. You'll look like a duster, but if the pain is that bad who cares.

Edit- roller is just way better than ball hockey. It's worth looking like a scrub

Edited by Miller55
  • Like 1