Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JV23

Any experience with Marsblade O-1 on small skates?

Hi, with the prospect of hockey in Ontario getting slimmer and slimmer through the summer, I went and got my son some Mission FZ-5 rollers to boot around on.  He's got small feet - he's almost in a 1.5 CCM 9380 on ice, so I got him the size 2 Missions.  They look a touch big but not horrifically so - ie his foot is 21.4 cm, the 2's are for feet at 21.8cm (5/32" away from the recommended size so not crazy).  I've got the Marsblade O-1 one on mine so we can mess around on the road or a local parking lot, he is in a Hi-Lo.  I took a look at Marsblades for him, but as a size 2, the side says the holder will be bigger than the boot but he'll still get benefit.  I'm leaning towards just leaving him in the HiLo until size 3, mainly because they're a touch big already, adding something else over the toe is going to lead him to say "screw it".  

Has anyone had any experience with the O-1 small on a 2 boot?  I did a search but was swimming in answers, so apologies if I missed.

I just picked up a pair of O1s mounted to a size 3 Vapor boot for my son.  He is in size 2.5 Vapors on ice.  The toe of the mounting plate is a few mm past the toe of the boot and the back of the heel is flush with the mounting plate.  I avoided picking him up Marsblades earlier due to the mismatch in size between boot and chassis in smaller sizes.  He's been in HiLos previously.  I would imagine on a size 2 boot you'd be getting closer to a full cm difference between chassis length and boot length.  If you center the chassis (which I believe are the proper mounting instructions), you'll probably have 5mm of overlap front and back.  That isn't huge, but likely will reduce the sensation of rocker because of the extended wheelbase and length of the chassis.  I can't confirm or deny that claim, as I never mounted O1s on a smaller boot.

Maybe Pers or someone else from the team (they frequent this site) can give a more concrete answer.