Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Westside

DIY/at home skate lengthening

Hey guys, kind of a random question but I know it’s been discussed over the years. Have the opportunity to pick up some new skates at a VERY reasonable price. Issue is they’re 1/2 size smaller than what I typically wear. They’d fit my right foot just fine, but my left foot is slightly longer so I generally size up 1/2. Finding pro stock skates in 1/4 sizes has been my ideal solution in the past. 

So I’m wondering if it would be possible to stretch/lengthen the left skate roughly 1/4 size? I’m aware of shops that do this in Canada but I’m in Los Angeles and would prefer to find an at home solution if there is one. 

Open to suggestions or recommendations. 

Thanks!

M

4 hours ago, Westside said:

Hey guys, kind of a random question but I know it’s been discussed over the years. Have the opportunity to pick up some new skates at a VERY reasonable price. Issue is they’re 1/2 size smaller than what I typically wear. They’d fit my right foot just fine, but my left foot is slightly longer so I generally size up 1/2. Finding pro stock skates in 1/4 sizes has been my ideal solution in the past. 

So I’m wondering if it would be possible to stretch/lengthen the left skate roughly 1/4 size? I’m aware of shops that do this in Canada but I’m in Los Angeles and would prefer to find an at home solution if there is one. 

Open to suggestions or recommendations. 

Thanks!

M

If it was just a simple punch for a hotspot of something, I would say you could DIY.  But stretching a skate (unless it's an old school boot made of leather, tech mesh, or nylon, etc), is a tricky proposition if 1) you don't have the proper equipment to do it, and 2) you aren't familiar with the process.  Also, lengthening a boot is MUCH more difficult than widening a composite boot.  I've heard of some people purchasing those wooded shoe stretchers, but those are meant for leather shoes and just don't have the forming/molding power that a professional skate boot stretcher has.  I would take it to a shop if it were me.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

On 4/21/2021 at 5:22 PM, Westside said:

We’re talking a 2X pro here so yeah, not leather. Any recommended shops in (Southern) California? 

No way of properly doing this in the current generation of skates without damaging the boot. 

Stretching a boot is really hard, especially in recent models. You really only have the toe cap or rear quarter to do the stretch and you can only get a mm or 2 at best otherwise you rip the toe cap out or deform the heel shape. If you only need a mm or 2 I reckon you are better to find someone who can do a toe cap punch and then punch the toe cap out to get some extra length and then compress the foams in the heel pocket.

I have got 2mm by heating and pulling the toe cap out but that was with a Bauer skate from around 2002 (I can't remember the model), I wouldn't try that with today's models.

Well I suppose this is good to know. Looks like I’ll have to pass on the deal and hope another pair comes along. Thanks for the help everyone!

There are two places I could think of around LA that might be able to do it.  The first is the place in El Segundo in a shopping center by TSC.  I believe it was called Rick’s at one time but they may have changed the name. The second is the place in the Rinx at Anaheim Ice. I believe that one was called Ultimate Skate, or something similar to that.  I think they may have moved to the Ducks new practice rink in Irvine.