Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
marka

Best Pro style hockey bag?

Howdy,

Ok, I've tried to like this Pacific Rink hockey bag, but dimensionally it just doesn't measure up to the Warrior Pro bag it replaced.

I like the materials, the build quality, etc. etc. but its too long to fit in locker rooms / through doors as well as the Pro dimension bag and with it divided down the middle it also sometimes makes putting in longer stuff like pants or shins annoying.  I love the skate pockets.  I like the "other pockets".  I like the U shaped zipper opening.  But I'm sick of the dimensions.

The Pacific Rink bag is 35x18x18 or so, while the Warrior Pro was 32x15x20.

The Warrior Pro bag had all of the mesh pockets rip out in 3 years or so of reasonably heavy use, though the outside, zippers, and straps held together.

So my question is... Who makes the best Pro style bag?  I want it to have at least dedicated skate pockets.  It would be nice if had some other misc pockets as well and a U shaped zipper opening.

Price is a factor, but less of one than it being a quality bag.

Mark

Edited by marka

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/hockey-bags/player-bags/3203880-warrior-new-pro-hockey-bag-senior-32-navy-blue-ice-duffel-equipment-size-hd-sr

Recently replaced my Easton pro bag with a Warrior pro bag. Got the one above, although I recall paying $45 so I bet if you offered him that he'd take it. If you're in NY the shipping will probably be about 10 bucks plus tax. You're looking at under $75 total for a bag you already know you like. It's a steal really. Also, if you don't think the mesh pockets will hold up you can just sew in canvas or some heavier material. 

2 hours ago, marka said:

A goalie on a team I was on had the Grit tower for goalie gear. It seemed to be built well, like zipper, compartments, handle and wheels holding up to the usual packing and unpacking for weekly games.

I always picture a "pro bag" as a huge duffle with everything just dumped in it... no fancy pockets, dividers, mesh or venting.

The JRZ bags are exactly what comes to mind.

If you keep going back to the Warrior bag as your comparison, and you know you really liked it, why not get another one of those? 

And, if the only problem with your old bag is that the pockets ripped out, can you just resew them? Yeah, you’ll have stitches on the outside of your bag, but who cares? It actually might be kinda cool in a Gary Cheevers sorta way. 

Howdy,

57 minutes ago, start_today said:

If you keep going back to the Warrior bag as your comparison, and you know you really liked it, why not get another one of those? 

And, if the only problem with your old bag is that the pockets ripped out, can you just resew them? Yeah, you’ll have stitches on the outside of your bag, but who cares? It actually might be kinda cool in a Gary Cheevers sorta way. 

I can go back for sure.  Mostly this was to see if there was a better option.  Discounting the mesh pockets ripping out, I also would really like a U shaped cover/zipper.

Sewing new pockets is easier said than done.  The big is pretty darned thick.

Unless someone has a reason not to, I'll probably try that Grit pro style bag.

Mark

16 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

If you want durability, but can compromise on skate pockets, the 851 can't be beat imo

https://jrzglobalsports.com/hockey-bags

Agree fully.  I never used the skate pockets for my skates but used them instead for tape and other accessories.  That can easily all go into an accessory bag.

10 hours ago, helmet91 said:

I always picture a "pro bag" as a huge duffle with everything just dumped in it... no fancy pockets, dividers, mesh or venting.

The JRZ bags are exactly what comes to mind.

Agreed, although I have bags within the bag...helmet bag, laundry bag, shower bag, steel holder (kind of a bag), Tape bag. 

• Like 1

I've been using the Grit Airbag for two years now. Really like it and it's held up very well. Only issue I have is when it rains...gear can get wet going from the car to the rink.  The other side of that is that it never gets skunky in the bag because there is always airflow. 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2021 at 12:40 AM, helmet91 said:

Went and looked at my oldest sons' bags from their old club in the States...  They are made by Z2 enterprises in MN.  They're really nice quality and are built to last.  As in, kids are getting these things in mites and carrying up into bantam and midgets.

https://z2bags.com/product-category/ice-hockey/

Z2 used to be called Laurin and I picked up a Laurin NOS bag on eBay half a dozen years ago. It's a tank and looks barely used after at least a few hundred trips to the rink and has skate pockets, which I like. Downside is that it is yellow and purple, but people just assume I'm a Kings fans and like their retro colors. Also very easy for me to spot in the locker room.

+1 for JRZ.  I use their bags and they last forever.  They're also affordable and made in Canada.  Don't spend double on all those bags hyped up by Youtube and social media.

• Like 2

Howdy,

On 5/8/2021 at 1:25 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

I ordered the Grit bag.  I'll try and do a review of it here when I get it.

Mark

Got the bag.  Like it pretty well.

Did a review for the gear section, but its waiting on moderator approval.

Mark