Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Furyan

Mario Lemieux skates

Last I saw he was in VH, True and Mako. Haven’t seen a shot of him with MLX in some time. As @the_game said, those are prototype MLX skates. Gonchar’s the only other one I’ve seen wear a similar looking MLX prototype, prior to the stock look they settled on.

88430023_orig.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

He must want to be like Sid and skip the second eyelet...

I assume he reads this forum, and is experimenting with different ways to tie his skates, after the thread about lacing more loosely. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Whatever he's in now, they are gun boats. I had a pair of pro return Nike Quests of his, they were IIRC size 12.5 and must have been EEE. They had extended side quarters to accommodate what looked to be a very high instep.   Not my pic but the same pair:

item_32212_1.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/30/2021 at 11:32 PM, flip12 said:

Last I saw he was in VH, True and Mako. Haven’t seen a shot of him with MLX in some time. As @the_game said, those are prototype MLX skates. Gonchar’s the only other one I’ve seen wear a similar looking MLX prototype, prior to the stock look they settled on.

88430023_orig.jpg

Malkin wore MLX as well around that same timeframe. 

s-l1600.jpg

3 hours ago, Stanello said:

Malkin wore MLX as well around that same timeframe. 

Indeed! There were several Penguins at the end of the oughties that wore them: Talbot and Fedotenko as well. About a handful, but that's a lot considering it was still a prototype skate with very little presence behind it. The difference between Gonchar's and Lemieux's skates and the others', though, is that the former are the only two I've seen with the Scott Van Horne build that's reminiscent of a 90's CCM Tacks boot, with the silver heel wedge. Both Gonchar and Lemieux were Tacks wearers, so it makes sense they would use that construction, but it died out after them as far as I can see. Fedotenko, Malkin, and Talbot (as well as Byfuglien and the other early MLX guys) all had skates that resemble the eventual MLX "genie boots" stock look, only with fewer bumper pieces glued on.

I wonder when Lemieux became an investor and how that influenced his players using the skates (or perhaps the other way around or a little of both). It would be an interesting history to hear, especially seeing how big of an impact the Scott Van Horne skate has had on the hockey skate market overall.

Edited by flip12
  • Like 3