Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JGraz15

Bauer Vapor HyerLite Line

Bauer showed off their new Vapor skates and stick and new lid yesterday. Really pushing it with social media content creators. 

Surprised there aren’t any discussions on it (so I thought I’d open up). What are everyone’s thoughts?

I really like everything, including the skates. I only wish there was a tiny bit more red. The runners look interesting. I’m jealous the content creators got so many goodies. I’d love to test the skates out. Bauer show me love!

Skates look like the X60, not really a big fan of them. I liked the prototype so I wish they stuck with a more Vapor 1x LE look. I personally dislike the Vapor and Jetspeed designs for 2021. 

Stick looks fine. Not great. Not bad. I dont use Vapor sticks so it doesn't really matter to me. It looks significantly better than the 2019 Vapor line of sticks. I really didnt like the Flylite at all. 

Helmet looks fine and feels good. It's very light. I use the Super Tacks X though and I think it fits and feels way better. 

The Carbonlite runners are interesting. However, after you profile them I dont think there is enough life left in the runner to justify that type of price. It's a very niche product. If weight is a concern I would much rather go with Byonic as its significantly cheaper. 

The skates could look like a pair of turds (1), as long as they perform that’s what counts. I would want feedback from others before buying into them, although realistically it won’t be many years before my current skates wear out anyway.

(1) I hope I don’t give Bauer ideas. It’s not meant literally. But the way the designs are going, you never know. Turdlite. It’s kinda catchy. 

• Like 1

The multi-piece sole for the skates was interesting, or strange, depending on what you think. I kind of assumed you wanted a stiff sole to your skate boot, but Bauer has developed a sole where the middle and back have some flex. I'm a little bit skeptical of the reliability of the carbon fiber/stainless steel runners, what if the carbon fiber and steel separate? I'm sure it can handle the weight of my body skating on it, but what it you slam your skates into the boards or goal posts, or step on a stick (all of which has happened to me by accident)? Is it going to crack, come loose or break off?

This guy's video covers it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caveman27 said:

The multi-piece sole for the skates was interesting, or strange, depending on what you think. I kind of assumed you wanted a stiff sole to your skate boot, but Bauer has developed a sole where the middle and back have some flex.

Good news for Mako fans, more of that tech is creeping into the Vapor

Edited by Buzz_LightBeer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Good news for Mako fans, more of that tech is creeping into the Vapor

Was the Mako designed with flex in its outsole?

16 hours ago, caveman27 said:

The multi-piece sole for the skates was interesting, or strange, depending on what you think. I kind of assumed you wanted a stiff sole to your skate boot, but Bauer has developed a sole where the middle and back have some flex.

I don't get the idea. HT's video is great at regurgitating the marketing jargon, and that includes mentioning it has 5% flex. 5% of what? In which axis? How does this affect the holder? What about heel striders like the OG Vapor Monster, Pavel Bure? Though, to be fair, Bure's early Vapors had TPU outsoles, but that's mostly what he had used up until that time.

I found out by using boots without any lateral stiffness in the ankle that I was bottom out on turns where I was leaning back on my heels. Shifting my weight toward my toes made it impossible to bottom out, and now I can't recall the last time I've done it in a stiffer skate. Agility to me, then, seems to be about the front of the blade as well. Props to Bauer for trying something different, but I'm stumped about how it's supposed to work.

• Like 3

1- HT videos all seem to regurgitate marketing jargon, I stopped watching them a long time ago.  Maybe they have since changed and included real evaluation but I have never seen it.

2- Like the colors, black and red, looks like the skate for Team Empire...

• Like 4

11 hours ago, flip12 said:

I don't get the idea. HT's video is great at regurgitating the marketing jargon, and that includes mentioning it has 5% flex. 5% of what? In which axis? How does this affect the holder? What about heel striders like the OG Vapor Monster, Pavel Bure? Though, to be fair, Bure's early Vapors had TPU outsoles, but that's mostly what he had used up until that time.

I found out by using boots without any lateral stiffness in the ankle that I was bottom out on turns where I was leaning back on my heels. Shifting my weight toward my toes made it impossible to bottom out, and now I can't recall the last time I've done it in a stiffer skate. Agility to me, then, seems to be about the front of the blade as well. Props to Bauer for trying something different, but I'm stumped about how it's supposed to work.

I guess it's something they tested in a lab. Or it's a gimmick like the Micron Power Clip.

545aa370dadee501_original.jpeg

1 hour ago, caveman27 said:

I guess it's something they tested in a lab. Or it's a gimmick like the Micron Power Clip.

545aa370dadee501_original.jpeg

Don't you badmouth my beloved Micron Mega 10-90's!  They were the shiznit!  🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

How do you know that hyper is lighter than ultra, fly, crazy, or super? There’s no globally accepted measurement scale for these types of things. 

Edited by Cavs019
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cavs019 said:

How do you know that hyper is lighter than ultra, fly, crazy, or super? There’s no globally accepted measurement scale for these types of things. 

I just assumed that Hyperlite meant they'll make you skate so fast that you'll see that Star Wars light speed effect!

• Haha 1

Got a chance to hold the skate today. 

like I said, a lot of Mako similarities, and I thought they somewhat repackaged the original MLX tongue and went with it. I wasn’t able to walk around in it to gauge the feel of the flexible sole at all, not that you would without physically skating on it. 

I am a fan of the tongue and heel wicking type material. 

I would definitely try them on before buying sight unseen, I generally take 8/8.5 fit 3 and an 8 fit 2 was significantly smaller and tighter than I was expecting. 

The Carbon steel, however, can hop on the 405, get off on Sunset, use Waze so it doesn’t get turned around and end up in Marina del Rey, and go straight to hell where it belongs. I just don’t see it. It’s light, that’s about it. It’s not clear if there is any steel/carbon anchoring akin to rocket runners, it appears they are two pieces held together with resin or some medium. I see durability being a massive issue here. A problem compounded by the cost. 

• Like 1

So, this new steel that’s twice as expensive as other steel is just going to replicate the problems of the Fusion steel from a decade ago that everyone hated? 

3 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

like I said, a lot of Mako similarities, and I thought they somewhat repackaged the original MLX tongue and went with it. I wasn’t able to walk around in it to gauge the feel of the flexible sole at all, not that you would without physically skating on it. 

I am a fan of the tongue and heel wicking type material. 

I would definitely try them on before buying sight unseen, I generally take 8/8.5 fit 3 and an 8 fit 2 was significantly smaller and tighter than I was expecting. 

The Carbon steel, however, can hop on the 405, get off on Sunset, use Waze so it doesn’t get turned around and end up in Marina del Rey, and go straight to hell where it belongs. I just don’t see it. It’s light, that’s about it. It’s not clear if there is any steel/carbon anchoring akin to rocket runners, it appears they are two pieces held together with resin or some medium. I see durability being a massive issue here. A problem compounded by the cost. 

reminded me of this

How are people making a determination about how something with perform wrt durability and the manufacturing methods just by looking at it?

Edited by BenBreeg

14 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

What are the Mako similarities you see?

Cosmetically, there is some resemblance in the grey to black fade.

2 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

How are people making a determination about how something with perform wrt durability and the manufacturing methods just by looking at it?

cmon man, they're Social Media Influencers...why wouldn't you trust their opinion?

• Like 1