Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JGraz15

Bauer Vapor HyerLite Line

3 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

How are people making a determination about how something with perform wrt durability and the manufacturing methods just by looking at it?

People are still scarred by their likely awful experience with the LS fusion steel. This looks very similar.

Presumably they’ve improved the construction process but I’m not going to hold my breath. Also kind of funny that they added weight via a hybrid TPU outsole and are now trying to sell people on lighter half composite steel. LOL. 

Edited by Cavs019

I happen to know someone who has been skating on it for some time.  It's extremely light and he tells me it's noticeable when switching between Pulse TI and the Carbonlite.  Sharpens like any other quality stainless runner and provides good edges.  Construction wise it appears to be significantly different than what Fusion was.  Lifespan will be less than LS Pulse and Pulse TI.  Lifespan might even be less if someone is using a Sparx or ProSharp SkatePal. It's a serious investment if you alternate between 2 sets and add profiling to them.  Having someone competent at sharpening is going to be critical.  

30 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

People are still scarred by their likely awful experience with the LS fusion steel. This looks very similar.

Presumably they’ve improved the construction process but I’m not going to hold my breath. Also kind of funny that they added weight via a hybrid TPU outsole and are now trying to sell people on lighter half composite steel. LOL. 

I got a demo set and will be testing them.

First observation is they are VERY light and the design is unique. I dont see them having the same issues as Fusion but only time will tell. Even with the weight difference it's likely I would never swap to them as I am a huge advocate of Flare. I personally would take the significant benefits of Flare over lighter steel any day.

Obviously, some people prefer standard width steel so this might be a good alternative for them if they are wanting something to decrease weight which would help endurance. 

I have not seen any players in the NHL using this yet. Has anyone else? 

2 hours ago, flip12 said:

What are the Mako similarities you see?

Cosmetically, there is some resemblance in the grey to black fade.

Asymmetrical toe boxes, and the flexible sole are the big ones

35 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Asymmetrical toe boxes, and the flexible sole are the big ones

Ah. Should the asym. toe boxes really count toward HypeLight’s Mako-ness? It’s Bauer’s 3rd release since that change. I guess if you’re looking for Mako presence in Bauer skates overall.

Did the Mako have an intentionally flexible outsole? I thought it was the opposite—an increased torsional rigidity —the Mako featured there. I know the original Home Depot SE Mako had some tendency toward flex (and shearing) in its outsole, but not as an intentional aspect of its performance properties.

Edited by flip12

On 6/7/2021 at 5:36 PM, boo10 said:

Don't you badmouth my beloved Micron Mega 10-90's!  They were the shiznit!  🤣

I had a pair of Micron Air 90s. Not sure if the Power Clip did anything. 

37 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

I had a pair of Micron Air 90s. Not sure if the Power Clip did anything. 

Of course it did.  It gave you mega power, (and style)! 🤣

• Haha 5

On 6/9/2021 at 12:20 PM, BenBreeg said:

How are people making a determination about how something with perform wrt durability and the manufacturing methods just by looking at it?

It’s steel bonded to carbon fibre, presumably with glue, and I think many of us are sceptical that the join can hold.

Some years ago I bought an Apple Watch. The crystal is glued to the case. After one year the crystal fell off. The watch was replaced under warranty. 18 months later, same again. The third one I sold on ebay, unused. Just over two years ago I bought some glasses with temples (side arms) glued to the Zeiss lenses. One year later the glue fails. After two years, new prescription, new Zeiss lenses. This time I didn’t wear the glasses while inline skating, or ice skating, just in case I have sweat like the creature from the Alien film. After two months two joints failed. These so called high performance glues are not as good as claimed. As for these runners, I’ll let others beta test them.

30 minutes ago, Leif said:

It’s steel bonded to carbon fibre, presumably with glue, and I think many of us are sceptical that the join can hold.

People have asked me how the steel is fused with the carbon fiber.  My answer is "I don't know".  Bottom line is the runner is light, and whatever skate it's in makes it lighter.  Just because Fusion had issues doesn't mean this runner will.  My concern is that inexperienced sharpeners won't clamp it right.

• Like 1

The flexible boot will be the issue in my opinion. 

the Mako was designed to be flexible in the mid sole so the front of the foot could lead into the turn (think of a bobsled). But it was designed to work in conjunction with the holder and steel. 

start torquing this combo steel from back to front and we’ll see how long it takes to break that seal. My gut says not long. 

• Like 2

Since the innersole is still composite I would think that would anchor the front and rear towers of the holder well and hold up to torque stresses.  

12 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

The flexible boot will be the issue in my opinion. 

the Mako was designed to be flexible in the mid sole so the front of the foot could lead into the turn (think of a bobsled). But it was designed to work in conjunction with the holder and steel. 

start torquing this combo steel from back to front and we’ll see how long it takes to break that seal. My gut says not long. 

I missed this being a feature of the Mako. I thought its shell was meant to be stiffer, resisting torsional rigidity to make it more responsive. Was it just the midsole that flexed like this or the shell as well?

The shell on the mako was not super stiff by any means. It was the softest and most flexible of all the skates of its type (mlx, vh, true)

Edited by Miller55

10 hours ago, Miller55 said:

The shell on the mako was not super stiff by any means. It was the softest and most flexible of all the skates of its type (mlx, vh, true)

Even under the foot? I know it was softer up high, but I thought it was meant to be stiff and resist flex between the towers of the holder. That’s supposed to be the benefit of the monocoque shell: more stiffness under the foot to resist torsion and provide sharper response. I won’t say agility because I see that as a function of an individual player in an individual skate on an individual blade geometry; way too many factors to attribute a change in one to make an effect overall.

4 hours ago, flip12 said:

Even under the foot? I know it was softer up high, but I thought it was meant to be stiff and resist flex between the towers of the holder. That’s supposed to be the benefit of the monocoque shell: more stiffness under the foot to resist torsion and provide sharper response. I won’t say agility because I see that as a function of an individual player in an individual skate on an individual blade geometry; way too many factors to attribute a change in one to make an effect overall.

I wish I could remember specifically, but I didn't pay all the much attention. I recall the the mako2 was stiffer through the quarters and under the foot. Don't recall the marketing stuff about it, nor do I recall this detail of the performance. But given that the new Vapor stock is a direct copy of the stealth CX, it wouldn't surprise me if they were starting to incorporate other Easton stuff into the new line

Edited by Miller55

1 hour ago, Miller55 said:

I wish I could remember specifically, but I didn't pay all the much attention. I recall the the mako2 was stiffer through the quarters and under the foot. Don't recall the marketing stuff about it, nor do I recall this detail of the performance. But given that the new Vapor stock is a direct copy of the stealth CX, it wouldn't surprise me if they were starting to incorporate other Easton stuff into the new line

This, it's incredible how many Easton innovations Bauer scoffed at that they're now trying to market as Bauer R&D "genius"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

This, it's incredible how many Easton innovations Bauer scoffed at that they're now trying to market as Bauer R&D "genius"

Isn’t that just the gravity of the marketing black hole? On the one side it’s all negative spin, as a marketing attack on the competition. On the other it’s all positive, as marketing propaganda masquerading as “promotion.”

What about this flexible Mako sole? I’m still interested in finding sources for it. So far it sounds like I missed some of the marketing behind the skate or that that element was absent in Easton’s representation of the design. I know nothing about bobsledding, so that line of thought provides just as much insight.

13 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Some of Easton's tech has already made it's way into Bauer's protective line.

The hyperlite foam on Easton's stealth cx protective line and pants was implemented on all of the Vapor 2x pro protective line and pants and it was also used in the gloves.  

The MDP foam system on Easton's synergy gx shoulder pads was implemented on all of the Nexus 2N protective line.

Edited by CaptainCharisma

15 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Don't all manufacturers do that to some extent?  Folks tend to bash more at Bauer, but I find it ironic that CCM tends to follow Bauer's lead.  Perfect example is them moving to a 3 fit skate system. I'd like to see what Bauer would come up with for a monocoque skate.  Guess they don't see True as being that competitive seeing that they always seem to hover around 10% in the NHL and aren't really a threat at the retail level.

3 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Don't all manufacturers do that to some extent?  Folks tend to bash more at Bauer, but I find it ironic that CCM tends to follow Bauer's lead.  Perfect example is them moving to a 3 fit skate system. I'd like to see what Bauer would come up with for a monocoque skate.  Guess they don't see True as being that competitive seeing that they always seem to hover around 10% in the NHL and aren't really a threat at the retail level.

Of course they do, why would they waste bandwidth explaining the past?  You always argue the present (meaning market the present).

Considering the LS Edge holder is already super flexible and not nearly as rigid as the CCM XS or TRUE Shift I didn't really see the need for them to switch to a hybrid outsole. 

What sucks even more is the 3X Pro is now a full TPU outsole. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 1:09 PM, PBH said:

Considering the LS Edge holder is already super flexible and not nearly as rigid as the CCM XS or TRUE Shift I didn't really see the need for them to switch to a hybrid outsole. 

What sucks even more is the 3X Pro is now a full TPU outsole. 

Can anyone confirm this statement regarding the stiffness of holders?! I’m genuinely curious. Been thinking about trying XS on my True skates and if they are demonstrably stiffer I am even more interested. 

• Like 1

I got to see the HyperLite skate in person today. I don't know about that tongue. I can't see it lasting all that long. Other than that, about what you'd expect from Bauer.

Just baked them today and found something extremely annoying. The tongue wraps around too far and pushes the stitches into my ankle (see pics). I've never had a problem like this in the past. Felt tongues are also WAY nicer than this one. Other than that, they were extremely comfortable. Went with the Fit1, 8.5D. I will be using them for the first time during lunch time tomorrow. If I like them i'll be buying a 2nd pair to convert to inline. 

image0.jpg

image0-2.jpg

image1.jpg

30 minutes ago, SFL said:

Just baked them today and found something extremely annoying. The tongue wraps around too far and pushes the stitches into my ankle (see pics). I've never had a problem like this in the past. Felt tongues are also WAY nicer than this one. Other than that, they were extremely comfortable.

image0.jpg

Do you wear longer socks when playing? What are some other tongue options a guy could try after the fact? Cost?