Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
rh71el2

Skating & lace tying question

I have no impirical data to support my opinion, but I do have 45 years of hockey experience and have skated with many different lacing methods.

My opinion is that tying the top eyelets will shorten your stride, so you may see an increased stride rate.  The benefits of the increase in stride rate are offset by a loss of power in each stride.  Net result is basically no noticeable difference. 

Top eyelet undone has much better agility, so my recommendation is to leave it undone if you are comfortable skating that way.

Edited by boo10

Just now, boo10 said:

I have no impirical data to support my opinion, but I do have 45 years of hockey experience and have skated with many different lacing methods.

My opinion is that tying the top eyelets will shorten your stride, so you may see an increased stride rate.  The benefits of the increase in stride rate are offset by a loss of power in each stride.  Net result is basically no noticeable difference. 

Too eyelet undone has much better agility, so my recommendation is to leave it undone if you are comfortable skating that way.

Thanks & understood - I've started the topic in a more appropriate location now.

Nothing inappropriate about the spot you originally picked.  Besides the recent thread I linked above there are several others in the same general vein from the last 6 months in this sub-forum. 

I've been skating most of my life. For a long time, I'd plateaued in my skating. But then I started dropping eyelets during practice just to see. Skip ahead in time and now I'm practising with my laces undone, and what a huge difference it has made. Yes, at first, I felt a bit slower, but then as I got used to it and my edges got stronger, it felt like I was getting into a better posture and getting better extension. Generally, I'm feeling the ice better, and that's allowing me to get better.

When the world isn't ending, I'm playing games with looser laces. The laces on the top three eyelets are, for the most part, only there to keep the boot from spreading open. Otherwise, they don't provide much/any support for me.

For me, it was short time pain by sacrificing that ankle support, but it's been long time gain, because once I got used to it, I'm a better skater for it.

• Like 2

Recently retired player Stephen Johns asked for lace-bite remedies on twitter today (amidst his inline skate trek across America) and it's interesting to see the many recommendations, especially from some pros 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, flip12 said:

What do you mean?

Outside in and inside out lacing are the same thing, you are just threading it in a different order.  It still produces the same pattern, only “upside down” and puts the same forces on the skate tongue.  I don’t understand how something so simple to understand persists but it continues to pop up when lace bite is discussed.

On 6/21/2021 at 5:20 AM, BenBreeg said:

Outside in and inside out lacing are the same thing, you are just threading it in a different order.  It still produces the same pattern, only “upside down” and puts the same forces on the skate tongue.  I don’t understand how something so simple to understand persists but it continues to pop up when lace bite is discussed.

I think they're just saying by doing the very next eyelet "outside in", you are essentially skipping the crossing of the laces entirely in the 1 area (where the lacebite occurs).    You can see the bypassed part in the video.

Edited by rh71el2

5 hours ago, rh71el2 said:

I think they're just saying by doing the very next eyelet "outside in", you are essentially skipping the crossing of the laces entirely in the 1 area (where the lacebite occurs).    You can see the bypassed part in the video.

Yes, the video is showing a way to skip a section, but in the comments, other videos and previous discussions here reversing the order of threading (outside-in) has been proposed as a way to reduce lace bite, even though it is the same lacing pattern just inverted.

• Like 1