Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
penguinpelts

Elbow Pads

Well here we are folks, I've reached the point where the velcro on my elbow pads is no longer sticking, and I'm tired of having to readjust and re-strap them multiple times a game.

I know this is a very broad question, but who's making the best elbow pads right now? My current ones are Reebok, but I've been using Warrior gloves for a while now and really like them. Are their elbow pads just as good? Or should I go with the good ol' Bauer?

Thanks in advance.

Jofa? Haha I still wear my 2 pairs from the early 2000s. 😂

in reality it depends what fit you’re going for. Traditional 2 piece elbows I’ve heard excellent things about the CCM AS1 for the most recent elbow pads. I’ve never worn the modern tacks stuff but it’s similar to Reebok from what I’ve heard (20k pro). Tons of pros wear the ultra tacks (4-5 years old)  bauer supreme 2SPRO are nice too. I tried a pair and I like the floating slash protection and no sleeve in the inside. I found they had good strapping. 

for the 3 piece I always hear the beet things about STX Surgeon. I haven’t worn them but a ton of people like them. I haven’t heard much about warrior so I’m sorry I can’t comment on their stuff. 

Edited by Tucker16

I’ve used the CCM RBZ line, but a few years ago switched to STX Surgeon. They are lightweight, mobile, and a fairly similar fit to the RBZ for me. The sleeve can be an issue for some, but it isn’t one for me as I prefer short sleeve athletic shirts when I play. Haven’t checked the most recent CCM line, but I could always switch back if the pads are more close to their earlier RBZ lines. 

one benefit of STX is low risk if they still offer their 14 day (I think?) trial 

I still love the old 2012 Warrior Projekts (three piece, very mobile, stay in place and provide good protection) and fortunately have two new pairs, but if I was shopping for a new pair today, I'd probably look at the following:

STX Surgeon RX3 like Stewie mentioned - looks like a mobile 3 piece pad

Warrior Alpha DX (or upcoming LX) - seems like the most similar pad to my old Projects, but with an added arm sleeve and a longer forearm guard.

Vapor 2X Pro - three piece for good mobility and the forearm guard looks like it wraps well. It also has Curve composite on the forearm guard which should be protective. I'd probably hold off until they were on sale or clearance though as I don't think I could stomach paying the MSRP for them.

The new FT4 Pro elbows look interesting and are also three piece, but again, are very expensive. 

9 hours ago, penguinpelts said:

Well here we are folks, I've reached the point where the velcro on my elbow pads is no longer sticking, and I'm tired of having to readjust and re-strap them multiple times a game.

If the rest of the pad is in good condition consider taking them to a tailor to get the strap and velcro replaced. I've done this with my Jofa 8k pro and Rbk 9k NHL edition pads. I've tried every top of the line out there and still can't find anything that fits me as well as these do hence my efforts to keep these in use.

• Like 2

Was going to say the same as @Vet88.

The two Projekt releases seem to be Warrior’s only iconic elbow, but they abandoned it in favor of the standard Jofa copies.

Sher-Wood’s Code V looks like a pretty faithful rendition of Projekts though:

sherwood-code-v-albuebeskytter-senior_S2

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

The two Projekt releases seem to be Warrior’s only iconic elbow, but they abandoned it in favor of the standard Jofa copies.

Idk, I had a pair of Dynasty pro stock elbows and they were on par with MiS Jofas imo, they were just a bit heavier.

Personally, I've been using Bauer 1S elbows and I like the sleeve, but I do not wear anything on my arms. I still have some jofa 8k pros (forget the jofa number version) and some Easton Synergy 700 pro stocks, as well as Eagle aeros and I find the 1S to be the most comfortable for me as of now. But for you, as others said, consider replacing the Velcro and/or straps if they are in otherwise good shape. Otherwise CCM tacks will be the closest

6 hours ago, flip12 said:

Worst elbow pads I have ever seen and it isn't close. They were so garbage...

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Stewie said:

I’ve used the CCM RBZ line, but a few years ago switched to STX Surgeon. They are lightweight, mobile, and a fairly similar fit to the RBZ for me. The sleeve can be an issue for some, but it isn’t one for me as I prefer short sleeve athletic shirts when I play. Haven’t checked the most recent CCM line, but I could always switch back if the pads are more close to their earlier RBZ lines. 

one benefit of STX is low risk if they still offer their 14 day (I think?) trial 

Yes they do, but not on all gear. So make sure to check to before you buy. I bought their top end shoulder pads a few months ago. I wore them twice and returned them. They didn't hassle me about it. IW does free returns as well. I don't think you can wear them like you can with STX gear.

I was hoping the new FT4 elbows would harken back to the old RBZ stuff. They look and feel like nice pads but the sizing was really weird. Much shorter than I expected. I ended up returning them. Looks like I will stick with my trusty old Ultra Tacks.

Thanks for the replies everyone, and wow, I wasn't expecting to see so much love for STX. The only downside now is the little hockey store here in the South only carrying the big brands, and maybe having to do the whole purchase/return route until I find a pair I like.

And to those suggesting the tailor route to fix the velco, I was thinking about that as well, but some of the foam on my current pads is starting to crack and puff out, so it's time for a new pair in general. Of all the gear I think the elbow pads are the things that I've never been happy with and just tolerated without getting too attached to.

Howdy,

CCM 2 piece here.  Not sure which exact ones they are, but the top of the line / 2nd to top of the line Tacks all seem to be basically the same thing in bold new graphics.  All very similar to the Reebok 11k (?? I think anyway) that were the first pair of elbows that I really liked.

When I got these a year or two ago I spent quite a while trying on all the options.  I found that the fairly faithful copy of the Reebok design (which I think is the same as the Jofa 2 piece design?) were the ones I liked the best in terms of comfort & staying in place.

Mark

2 hours ago, penguinpelts said:

Thanks for the replies everyone, and wow, I wasn't expecting to see so much love for STX. The only downside now is the little hockey store here in the South only carrying the big brands, and maybe having to do the whole purchase/return route until I find a pair I like.

And to those suggesting the tailor route to fix the velco, I was thinking about that as well, but some of the foam on my current pads is starting to crack and puff out, so it's time for a new pair in general. Of all the gear I think the elbow pads are the things that I've never been happy with and just tolerated without getting too attached to.

STX is only direct To consumer anyways so you will not find in store. They are happy to accommodate returns and on elite line products you even get 14 days to demo and wear. To be honest I haven’t much been a fan of their shoulders or shins, but love the elbows (rx3 surgeon). I returned both the shoulders and shins after purchasing but have since tried a few sticks and own 2 pairs of the elbows. Their original surgeon stick remains my favorite inline hockey stick of all time 

Edited by Stewie
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Hills said:

Worst elbow pads I have ever seen and it isn't close. They were so garbage...

Interesting. How do you mean?

5 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Interesting. How do you mean?

There is a review out there that I suggest you search for. I unfortunately can't link it here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, flip12 said:

The Alpha DX pads are three piece like the old Projekts, but yes Warrior did have several Jofa style pads between the Projekt and the DX pads.

https://images.app.goo.gl/bLmFW6j5rfovQ7t28

I do see the resemblance of the Projekts in the Sherwood Code V pads, but unfortunately they don't seem to have the same performance. Search for Hockey Reviews Sherwood Code V elbows on YouTube. 

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, penguinpelts said:

If your stores carry the big brands, I'd start by trying on the Vapor 2X Pros, Warrior Alpha DX (the three piece version - the DX Pro is a two piece pad) and the new CCM FT4 Pro and anything else that looks interesting in store. See if you like the fit and feel of anything your stores stock. If you don't, or they're more than you want to spend, you could order the STX Surgeon RX3's from STX directly. As others have said, you won't find the STX pads in any stores (unless they're old STX Surgeon 500 stock, but those will be fairly rare now) as they only sell direct now. 

Edited by althoma1

4 hours ago, althoma1 said:

The Alpha DX pads are three piece like the old Projekts, but yes Warrior did have several Jofa style pads between the Projekt and the DX pads.

https://images.app.goo.gl/bLmFW6j5rfovQ7t28

I do see the resemblance of the Projekts in the Sherwood Code V pads, but unfortunately they don't seem to have the same performance. Search for Hockey Reviews Sherwood Code V elbows on YouTube. 

Today’s 3-piece elbow archetype is also Jofa.

19-1374.jpgAlpha DX looks closer to a Jofa copy to me than a return to the Projekt pattern.

• Like 1

Good point. The Alpha definitely doesn't have the same breaks as the Projekts. I'm going to try to make the pairs of Projekts I have last as long as possible and will pay for strap/elastic repairs as necessary. 

I will maintain till my last breath that the pinnacle of elbow pad design was the old Cooper Techniflex elbows (the original 3-piece design).  The key was that the elbow cap floated above the other two pieces, and the wrist guard/bicep pad vessentially formed a basic hinge at the elbow joint.  The mobility and protection was fantastic.  They had issues with sliding down because of the materials at the time, but with modern materials I can only imagine what they’d be like today.