Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
beedee

Beer Leaguer seeking a new stick

Hi guys,  I apologize if this might be a redundant topic, but I didn't see an all encompassing Stick Advice thread.

About me, I play beer league twice a week, intermediate "bronze" level and play defense. With skates, I'm 5'10. I haven't purchased a stick in nearly 4 years or so. I currently use an Intermediate Bauer Vapor APX2, P14, 67flex, my back-up stick is a Senior Warrior Covert DT1 LT, Yakupov, 85 flex (probably closer to 100 flex though since I cut about 2.5" or so). Both of these were acquired on a heavy discount from my buddy that worked at HockeyMonkey, as they were demo sticks. 

I do love how light the APX2 is, and the fact that it is non-grip, and has a very smooth/round feel to it is another plus. However, I feel like the blade is pretty weak/noodley and the toe is starting to chip and separate (I do cover the toe with tape). I am able to get great shots off with it, but where I struggle is receiving hard passes. I do know how to receive passes, but sometimes I'm not able to allow that bit of give in a game situation as the puck first hits the blade and it seems like I botch a clean reception more than I'd like to. I'm sure my technique can be better but I'm also wondering if the stick is just done due to age and use? I rarely use the Warrior stick, I'll mess around with it here and there, but always find myself preferring the APX2. If I'm lucky, I will get to fire off 3-5 shots from the point during our games...just depends how good we are playing, or how bad the other team is.

All that being said I'm looking to pick up something new. From what I read, a "mid-kick" is great for getting power on clappers, and a "low-kick" is great for quick shots more down low, in close...I think? I do like the feel of the shot with the APX2, but I'm open to your suggestions. I also like that I don't have to cut an Intermediate stick, so the flex stated, is the flex I get. When I have purchased Sr. sticks in the past, I ended up buying a 75 flex, and cut it down nearly three inches, putting it near or at the 100 flex range...which I find is too stiff for me.

Do you have any suggestions at what I should maybe look at getting? I'm comfortable spending between $100-$150 and so far I have been looking at a CCM RibCore and another Bauer Vapor.

Edited by beedee

17 minutes ago, beedee said:

Hi guys,  I apologize if this might be a redundant topic, but I didn't see an all encompassing Stick Advice thread.

About me, I play beer league twice a week, intermediate "bronze" level and play defense. With skates, I'm 5'10. I haven't purchased a stick in nearly 4 years or so. I currently use an Intermediate Bauer Vapor APX2, P14, 67flex, my back-up stick is a Senior Warrior Covert DT1 LT, Yakupov, 85 flex (probably closer to 100 flex though since I cut about 2.5" or so). Both of these were acquired on a heavy discount from my buddy that worked at HockeyMonkey, as they were demo sticks. 

I do love how light the APX2 is, and the fact that it is non-grip, and has a very smooth/round feel to it is another plus. However, I feel like the blade is pretty weak/noodley and the toe is starting to chip and separate (I do cover the toe with tape). I am able to get great shots off with it, but where I struggle is receiving hard passes. I do know how to receive passes, but sometimes I'm not able to allow that bit of give in a game situation as the puck first hits the blade and it seems like I botch a clean reception more than I'd like to. I'm sure my technique can be better but I'm also wondering if the stick is just done due to age and use? I rarely use the Warrior stick, I'll mess around with it here and there, but always find myself preferring the APX2. If I'm lucky, I will get to fire off 3-5 shots from the point during our games...just depends how good we are playing, or how bad the other team is.

All that being said I'm looking to pick up something new. From what I read, a "mid-kick" is great for getting power on clappers, and a "low-kick" is great for quick shots more down low, in close...I think? I do like the feel of the shot with the APX2, but I'm open to your suggestions. I also like that I don't have to cut an Intermediate stick, so the flex stated, is the flex I get. When I have purchased Sr. sticks in the past, I ended up buying a 75 flex, and cut it down nearly three inches, putting it near or at the 100 flex range...which I find is too stiff for me.

Do you have any suggestions at what I should maybe look at getting? I'm comfortable spending between $100-$150 and so far I have been looking at a CCM RibCore and another Bauer Vapor.

CCM FT3 is on close out for $159.

That P14 (Toews) is long gone. Sure you can still find some but they are few and far between. As for flex. Try a senior 70-75 flex. I find the 70 flex sticks to be just about perfect after cutting them to length.

• Like 1

That FT3 Pro is the best stick I've ever used.  The hybrid kick point gives you power wherever you put your hand, and with whatever kind of shot you're taking, even off balance.  At $159, the FT3 is a great deal, and I think the FT3 Team is probably just as good, but heavier.  And it does have a more dampened blade core than a Vapor, which would help you with those passes.  The issue for you is going to be that it's grippy.

• Like 1

Thank you guys. Out of the 3 curves offered for the FT3, P28, P29 and P88, is there one that you would recommend? I know its all subjective, but I'm trying to gather as much advice as I can. I'm not really one for dipsy-doodling and toe-drags, but I do like making the long stretch pass out of the zone when they present themselves and have gone coast to coast a few times, but the older I get, the less I like doing it.

You gotta try out curves, theoretical postings aren't going to help.  I went from 88 to 28 then had second thoughts.  It wasn't until I was able to just shoot a ton of pucks and got used to it and made some adjustments that I got good with it (relatively, I am the definition of mediocre 😄 ).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 years is a long time for a stick. I would imagine your blade is pretty soft. Even if it’s not visibaly broken, I bet the blade is soft, which will make handling and shoot the puck challenging. You’re gonna love the feel of any new stick. 🙂 (and another vote for the FT3 or FT3 team. Great stick and currently a great value.)

28 and 92 are both open toes like the p14, but more open and deeper. With the same motion as your stick now, those are going to probably put the puck higher on passes and shots. To me, the 88 is the most similar, but the curve is more toward the middle of the blade, and the toe isn't open like the other three curves mentioned here.  

Can you borrow a teammates stick to try out those curves? Or, even just visually compare them to your p14?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beedee said:

If the internals of the blade are wearing out, you can test that by practicing passes with a teammate during pre-game. If you can't handle the pass easily in a non-game situation, just throw it away. 

Have you checked out sticks from www.prostockhockey.com They got some low flex intermediate sticks in your price range.

Edited by caveman27
  • Like 1

Thanks again everyone. After cutting down at 70 flex Sr, I feel like it might be too stiff since I'll be cutting it to around 56"-57". (I could be wrong about the stiffness though). I was leaning towards the 65 Flex, P90TM, and not having to cut it.

5 hours ago, stick9 said:

CCM FT3 is on close out for $159.

That P14 (Toews) is long gone. Sure you can still find some but they are few and far between. As for flex. Try a senior 70-75 flex. I find the 70 flex sticks to be just about perfect after cutting them to length.

5 hours ago, beedee said:

I also like that I don't have to cut an Intermediate stick, so the flex stated, is the flex I get. When I have purchased Sr. sticks in the past, I ended up buying a 75 flex, and cut it down nearly three inches, putting it near or at the 100 flex range...which I find is too stiff for me.

FYI. Flex doesn't change when you cut the stick, just the leverage. Here's a video of a True Hockey engineer explaining things.

• Like 2

Call it net flex or whatever you want to, but cutting down a stick is going to result, because of the reduced leverage, in less actual flex for a given force applied and therefore less energy stored, and the actual flex is what we care about, not the engineering number (flex rating that he keeps referring to).

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

FYI. Flex doesn't change when you cut the stick, just the leverage. Here's a video of a True Hockey engineer explaining things.

3 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

Call it net flex or whatever you want to, but cutting down a stick is going to result, because of the reduced leverage, in less actual flex for a given force applied and therefore less energy stored, and the actual flex is what we care about, not the engineering number (flex rating that he keeps referring to).

This is why the point @puckpilot is making is important.  People frequently mistakenly believe the marketing nonsense about being able to cut a stick without affecting the flex.

• Like 1

I would definitely recommend the CCM Jetspeed ft3 pro that others mentioned. After that would be a ribcore and a Nexus Geo. I think P88 or P92 is your best curve option coming from p14, depending on what you like about the p14. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

I'm specifically responding to the OP's concern that cutting down a 70 flex senior 3 inches to make it the same length as their current intermediate stick will make it way to stiff for them to use. They expressed that cutting a 75 flex down would make it nearly 100 flex. I'm pointing out.If they cut a 70 flex senor stick down to the same height as their current stick, which is a 67flex, it'll only be 3 flex higher. This allows them to compare apples to apples with their old stick and easily determine what the difference will be instead of doing the mental gymnastics of adding flex and confusing themselves into believing something that isn't true.

So in this instance, I don't think the "net" or "actual" or what ever you want to call it is relevant. 

Edited by puckpilot

6 hours ago, beedee said:

Thanks again everyone. After cutting down at 70 flex Sr, I feel like it might be too stiff since I'll be cutting it to around 56"-57". (I could be wrong about the stiffness though). I was leaning towards the 65 Flex, P90TM, and not having to cut it.

That P90TM is an awesome curve. It does a lot of things well, without the negatives that each curve that makes it up brings on its own. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, psulion22 said:

That P90TM is an awesome curve. It does a lot of things well, without the negatives that each curve that makes it up brings on its own. 

I couldn't agree more. So I glad I switched.

• Like 1

Last night I placed my order for the FT3, P90TM, 65 flex.

Thanks again guys. I won't have a chance to use it until my next game, which is this Saturday night. I'll report back here with how it went! 

• Like 3

On 6/14/2021 at 4:42 PM, psulion22 said:

That FT3 Pro is the best stick I've ever used.  The hybrid kick point gives you power wherever you put your hand, and with whatever kind of shot you're taking, even off balance.  At $159, the FT3 is a great deal, and I think the FT3 Team is probably just as good, but heavier.  And it does have a more dampened blade core than a Vapor, which would help you with those passes.  The issue for you is going to be that it's grippy.

On 6/15/2021 at 12:50 AM, Miller55 said:

I would definitely recommend the CCM Jetspeed ft3 pro that others mentioned. After that would be a ribcore and a Nexus Geo. I think P88 or P92 is your best curve option coming from p14, depending on what you like about the p14. 

I recently switched to the Jetspeed line (coming from Ribcore and Tacks) and I agree. The Hybrid Kickpoint is great and the stick is a lot more forgiving on shots than I found with Ribcore or Tacks (especially Ribcore, but I'm not suited for low-kick sticks). 

I have the FT2 and if you can find one on clearance in your specs you can't go wrong. It's the best stick I've ever used. I like it because it still has Sigmatex but also weighs above 400 grams. But the FT3 Pro and FT3 are great sticks. Even the FT3 Team stick is solid for it's price point, just a bit heavier (which some players prefer). I don't think you can go wrong with any of the recent Jetspeed stuff (FT3 Pro, FT3, FT3 Team, FT2). 

CCM P46 seems quite similar to Bauer P14, and given that P14 is a more of a toe curve neither P88 or P28 feel the same as these are mid curves.

I really miss P14, by far my favourite curve! Why the heck did Bauer have to get rid of it vs simply renaming it it Toews has fallen out of popularly?!

10 hours ago, SolarWind said:

CCM P46 seems quite similar to Bauer P14, and given that P14 is a more of a toe curve neither P88 or P28 feel the same as these are mid curves.

I really miss P14, by far my favourite curve! Why the heck did Bauer have to get rid of it vs simply renaming it it Toews has fallen out of popularly?!

Don't look now but the P46 is gone too. For those coming from a Bauer P14. The P90TM would be the closest option currently available at retail.

Before moving to the P90TM I gave the P14 a whirl. I really liked it but it was just so damn hard to find. 

Got to use my new CCM JETSPEED FT3 GRIP P90TM in my game on Saturday night and it felt great! I trimmed 1.5" off the end so it matched the length of my Bauer Vapor APX2. The new stick had much more pop/snap than my 5 year old Bauer Vapor APX2, duh! My shots and passes felt good, as did receiving passes. I had a handful of shots from the point. One of which I sailed over the net, d'oh.  I even scored a goal, I had a great look from the point and let a snap shot rip about 3" off the ice, it went in between three sets of legs, the third being the goalie. 🙂

I have another game tonight, can't wait to use it again! I'm hoping I can find some time to do a stick time though where I can really take my time and try a variety of shots/passes, etc. with it.

Thanks again to all whom recommended it!

Edited by beedee
  • Like 3